• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Devil/Satan Worshipers

Spaceskye

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
What's your views, options about the devil/Satan worshipers? Do you know anybody like that? Are you a devil worshiper? Just curious.

Backstory: Today at my youth group meetings there was a girl who was dating a boy just because he was hot, and it surprised me that she still dated him even after she knew he worshiped the devil. (Most of the kids live in a ghetto environment, so they have it pretty rough.)

She even believed in god and everything, and she's only dating him because he's cute/hot. He wouldn't come to the youth group thing, I'm glad that he didn't, but them I kind of wanted to meet to find out what he was like, and maybe see if we could talk to him about it, the girl said he wouldn't tell her why he worshiped the devil or anything.

kind of suspicious, I think.

S

Sniffles

How old is he? Very often young people will get involved with this type of stuff as a form of teenage rebellion.

Spaceskye

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
How old is he? Very often young people will get involved with this type of stuff as a form of teenage rebellion.

Well, she was 14, he was probably 14-16, in High School. And, I think it would also be very likely that it would just be a rebellion thing, especially in the environment he lives in.

S

Sniffles

Well, she was 14, he was probably 14-16, in High School. And, I think it would also be very likely that it would just be a rebellion thing, especially in the environment he lives in.
Given his age, I would probably think so. There are of course serious adult Satanists, most famously within the Church of Satan:
[youtube="WfUhoHc-HB8"]Church of Satan[/youtube]

But there are different kinds of Satanists. One of the more interesting examples I can think of concerns the Kurdish sect called the Yazidis, which honours Satan as a loyal servant of God, who was restored to honour after a period of time of seperation from God due to his disobedience - IIRC(forgive me I'm citing from vague memories of reading about this years ago).

KDude

I think there two types of Satanic worshipers. Gibbering retards, also possibly into sniffing glue, backyard wrestling, and stabbing themselves with sharp sticks. If you actually believed in Satan, then there's really no valid reason to worship him other than being stupid. The second group of people use Satan as a symbol for independence. They are just atheists usurping a symbol and engaging in an elaborate troll attempt.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yea, one of my first boyfriends was a "devil-worshipper". It was pretty lame. Many kids do this for shock value. They aren't seriously doing it, and don't really know what it's about.
Rebellious kids tend to go through phases where they either know a devil-worshipper, or are little wanna-be devil-worshippers.
I think it happens also in nice areas, not just ghettos. My S.O. is from a higher-class area, and he also had a friend who was a devil-worshipper. It tends to happen around 13-15 or so.....

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I think people admire the character of Satan for the same reason they admire Prometheus, for the power he leaves to humanity.

This upsets the god(s), he is punished, and we are "free"

Spaceskye

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Peguy, I really liked the video, it was very interesting. I actually didn't really know what Satanist's did for rituals and what they believed in so that really gave me info! At first the clips of them worshiping and doing rituals seemed to be out of a movie, but it's real..

So I think the kid really is just trying to shock or draw attention. I would never go to Satanism, I'm a Christian, but I do find it interesting. (It also kind of scares me.)

S

Sniffles

I think people admire the character of Satan for the same reason they admire Prometheus, for the power he leaves to humanity.

This upsets the god(s), he is punished, and we are "free"

That's a very good point actually. Once bound, Prometheus declares his hatred for all the gods, to which Hermes replies: "It appears you have been stricken with no small madness."

That's another important point to keep in mind.

R

Riva

From where did Satan originate in literature?

Is it from the old testament of before that?
Most common interpretation of Satan is that of a person who is evil and wishes evil upon others.

Lucifer's Rebellion

Some literature (more complicated) interprets Satan as a person who rebels against God.
It is not known to me what he rebels against.
Is it because God made man in the image of him?
or because God is pure/good and Satan is evil therefore a clash is beliefs and needs?

Or

Because he believed he could rebel against god and win? Thereby proving God is not all powerful?

Sigh!

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
His worship of the devil probably consists of smoking pot, wearing dark clothes, and carving swastikas onto picnic tables. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

My attitude toward devil worshipers is that they're fascinating people whom I wouldn't mind getting to know, so long as they'll refrain from tying me down on sacrificial altars and lighting me on fire.

KDude

That's a very good point actually. Once bound, Prometheus declares his hatred for all the gods, to which Hermes replies: "It appears you have been stricken with no small madness."

That's another important point to keep in mind.
I'm not sure that's what depictions of Satan does though. Nor is the biblical god like the one Prometheus tried to screw over. Prometheus seems like a hero to me. Satan's name means adversary or opposer, and he first (at least, explicitly) shows up in the book of Job - not necessarily as God's adversary, but Job's. It seems like his whole purpose is to talk shit about humans.

From the biblical standpoint, it seems like God "empowers" humanity. The writers state that he created humanity in his own image. What that exactly means is up for debate, but I think it's supposed to be pointing to their empowerment, dominion, creativity, sentience, etc.. The bible goes on to state in other places that humans were considered higher creations than his angels.

S

Sniffles

Peguy, I really liked the video, it was very interesting. I actually didn't really know what Satanist's did for rituals and what they believed in so that really gave me info! At first the clips of them worshiping and doing rituals seemed to be out of a movie, but it's real..
No problem. :)

I would never go to Satanism, I'm a Christian, but I do find it interesting. (It also kind of scares me.)
Don't worry, you're not alone. :devil:

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not sure that's what depictions of Satan does though. Nor is the biblical god like the one Prometheus tried to screw over. Prometheus seems like a hero to me. Satan's name means adversary or opposer, and he first shows up in the book of Job - not necessarily as God's adversary, but Job's. It seems like his whole purpose is to talk shit about humans.

From the biblical standpoint, it seems like God "empowers" humanity. The writers state that he created humanity in his own image. What that exactly means is up for debate, but I think it's supposed to be pointing to their empowerment, dominion, creativity, sentience, etc.. The bible goes on to state in other places that humans were considered higher creations than his angels.

Is Satan the serpent that gave humans the knowledge of good and evil? Or is this character distinct from the one who wagered that Job would forsake God?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is no devil.
Satan is an illusion.
Some say that without pure evil (aka "Satan") that pure love (aka "God") would have no meaning.
Maybe primitive people needed such extreme personifications of an anti-deity to fully give God reverence.
To me (and I am Roman Catholic, although I went through a 18+ year remission) "evil" is simply the totality of the bad, selfish, and hurtful things that the totality of mankind is capable of wielding upon himself, his own kind, and his society.
The God of my understanding is a being of pure love. He does not need evil to definitively illustrate his goodness.
The teachings of the church itself make "hell" a silly concept.
At one point, in the early teachings of Catechism, one is told that a single mortal sin is enough to cast your soul into eternal darkness.
Then, right before your Confirmation, you are told that if a serial killer accepted Chirst as his Savior and renounced his sins and asked for forgiveness with genuine regret that all his sins would be forgiven and he would be allowed to enter heaven right along with people who hardly did anything wrong their whole lives.
I call BULLSHIT on that.
Both cannot be true.
If the first statement is true then everyone is fucked and there is no point in worshipping in the first place.
If the second statement is true then the rules are so damn lax that you might as well do whatever the hell you like and just plan to apologize at the end for all to be forgiven.
The two concepts are at odds with one and other to such an extent that the only way the whole situation can be resolved in my mind and heart is to consider "Satan" a learning tool for the young and simple minded alike to grasp the core concepts of faith so that they do not wander too far astray.

If I want to be a smart ass about it, I'll point out that EVIL spelled backwards is LIVE. :newwink:

There is one true God, and he is not impressed when men trifle with His unity, His love, and His truth.
He gave us free will, for better or worse.
He sent us out as sheep amongst the wolves.
And He is relying on us to love each other as He loves us, and to use the gifts He gave us all to do His bidding here on Earth, for the sake of making this world a better place, and so that all of us can live better with the love and support of our fellow men and women, than we ever could on our own.

Christianity boils down to a very simple concept referred to as "Kerygma" in some readings.
It simply states to (1) Believe in Christ as the one true God, and (2) To live your fellow man as God loves you.
Rabbi Hillel preached gospel very similar to that of Christ himself, and remained a member of the Jewish faith, because he was no The Christ. He got the point but he did not claim to be God walking among men because he was not. Sounds like a great man to me.
With "Kerygma" and the 10 commandments, that's the core of what really matters.
The rest of the material in the Holy Bible is great, but remember, the first Bible was not written down until at least 67 years after Christ's crucifixion, and up until that point, the New Testament was passed on from one person to the next by mouth. Later on with Canonization, the writings that did survive through the ages were evaluated and scrutinized by the Roman Catholic Church and THEY decided what the official teachings of the church, and hence GOD would be. That's something to ponder on.

Finally, recognize the the story of Noah's Ark is almost exactly the same, verbatim, as the story of the Great Flood in "The Epic of Gilgamesh." Many of the world's ancient religions have common stories, due to common experiences that were lived through by the inhabitants of the regions of the old world. When the Isle of Delos exploded via a massive volcanic eruption, it sent a tidal wave that radiated circularly outward and flooded ALL the coastal regions of the old world. Look it up. Ancient maps of Delos show it as a circle. Recent maps show it as a crescent shaped island. The German archaelogist Herman Schliemann was looking for the ancient city of Knossus, on the Isle of Crete. His site digs were exactly where his ancient maps said the city should be. He then considered the information about Delos, and asked a geologist what the effect of such a tidal wave would be if it did hit Knossus. The hypothesis was that the entire city would be knocked backward along with the land under it as the impact of the wave shattered the land of the relatively small island. Schliemann adjusted the site of his dig to be a hundred or more feet back from where they were, in the direction the wave was hypothesized to have had impact. Lo and behold Knossus was found.

Our origins are more common than we care to admit. The Torah, The Holy Bible, and The Koran all have the Old Testament in common. These faiths have been tailored as mankind in different regions evolved and determined the need to standardize belief amongst all people. The Holy Spirit is just that, the manifestation of God amongst a congregation of believers. Without a unified faith mankind would not be able to experience one third of the Trinity, of God's pure essence in whatever form He determines best to reveal Himself, and His ways to us, amongst us. Christ showed us how to live and believe when God walked among us here on Earth. And we will once again meet Him when our time here is done, and He welcomes us home to where our real lives began, before He sent our spirits here in the vessels of men and women. Our bodies are vehicles, nothing more. And when they are broken, no longer fucntion, and die, our soul leaves them to return to heaven. Believe it.

:solidarity:

-Alex

Spaceskye

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Is it from the old testament of before that?
Most common interpretation of Satan is that of a person who is evil and wishes evil upon others.

Lucifer's Rebellion

Some literature (more complicated) interprets Satan as a person who rebels against God.
It is not known to me what he rebels against.
Is it because God made man in the image of him?
or because God is pure/good and Satan is evil therefore a clash is beliefs and needs?

Or

Because he believed he could rebel against god and win? Thereby proving God is not all powerful?

Sigh!

i was taught that Lucifer was a very respected angel. But then he rebelled against god because he wanted the power for himself... so god banished him and created the earth for him to live in. (Maybe he created hell for him, I don't know, my memory is rusty.)

I think Lucifer just wanted the power, and that's what he was rebelling against?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Highly unlikely that this kid worships the devil. He's just a rebellious, misguided youth. I didn't know any "devil worshippers" but a few kids in high school that claimed to be in to Wicca. At that age, it's all the same. They don't know what they're talking about, they just want to go against the status quo of Christian society.

I think true "devil worship" (actually worshiping Satan of the Bible) is pretty uncommon. There is the religion of "Satanism" (the most widely known form of Satanism) started by Anton Levy, but it's not about worshiping Satan at all.

KDude

Is Satan the serpent that gave humans the knowledge of good and evil? Or is this character distinct from the one who wagered Job would forsake God?

He could be. I don't know. A lot of people will disagree with me, but I think there are varying oral traditions compiled in the bible. Some with entirely differently labels (for example, the "elohim" vs Yahweh sects).

S

Sniffles

I'm not sure that's what depictions of Satan does though. Nor is the biblical god like the one Prometheus tried to screw over. Prometheus seems like a hero to me. Satan's name means adversary or opposer, and he first (at least, explicitly) shows up in the book of Job - not necessarily as God's adversary, but Job's. It seems like his whole purpose is to talk shit about humans.

Satanism for the most part is about the rejection of god(s), as the High Priest of the Church of Satan noted in the video I posted above. This aligns very much with the kind of "gnosticism" anaylized by Voegelin.

R

Riva

And then the thread turns in to a literature debate.

Satanism for the most part is about the rejection of god(s), as the High Priest of the Church of Satan noted in the video I posted above. This aligns very much with the kind of "gnosticism" anaylized by Voegelin.

Rejection of God(s), why?
What is the reason? Not wanting to worship him? Wants God's powers? Etc.