• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Zarathustra's Astrology Thread, or, Where An INTJ (Foolishly) Defends Astrology

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
OMG, someone do mine.

Ok, I have decided what I am going to do.

This thread has close to largely served its purpose.

We're going to have to switch to something I've been considering.

Tbh, I just used that site myself and...the results were..really not relatable. Ive had my star chart read before and...well, let's just say the two didn't match.

Which site did you use?

And what two didn't match?

You had your natal chart read in person by an astrologer?

Did you find it to be accurate, but not the one by whichever site you used?

Would need to know some details before I can have an idea as to what's gone on.

I'd also be willing to go over your chart, along with Senza's, as examples of how to do a natal reading.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, I have decided what I am going to do.

This thread has close to largely served its purpose.

We're going to have to switch to something I've been considering.

Which site did you use?

And what two didn't match?

You had your natal chart read in person by an astrologer?

Did you find it to be accurate, but not the one by whichever site you used?

Would need to know some details before I can have an idea as to what's gone on.

I'd also be willing to go over your chart, along with Senza's, as examples of how to do a natal reading.

The one Nico used didn't match up with the one I had done earlier by Rex. And yes, that one was a lot more accurate.

1601519_678005008924915_1364380080_n.jpg

I'd be intrigued to see what you come up with, so thanks for the offer :)

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
The one Nico used didn't match up with the one I had done earlier by Rex. And yes, that one was a lot more accurate.

I'd be intrigued to see what you come up with, so thanks for the offer :)

Would you mind expanding a bit on what didn't line up about them?

Are you saying the actual aspects and positions weren't the same?

Or was it the interpretations of the aspects and positions?

Or the emphasis on certain aspects/positions vs others?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Would you mind expanding a bit on what didn't line up about them?

Are you saying the actual aspects and positions weren't the same?

Or the interpretations of the aspects and positions?

Or the emphasis on certain ones vs others?

I didn't check to see if it got the aspects right beyond the first one or two - they were correct. But the interpretation of them was...off. Perhaps because a machine is limited to giving the more general interpretations that stand alone instead of taking in the entire compilation of it all and see how one aspect influences another.
Example: my ascendant is Aries. While it is true that I tend to be focused on self-mastery and can be very direct, I lack the ambition and drive attributed to it, which can be explained by some of the other pieces of the puzzle. Similarly, the way Mercury supposedly influences me is again half correct, but also half wrong.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
[MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] [MENTION=7254]Wind Up Rex[/MENTION]

It would also be helpful to know what profile Rex used...

From what I saw earlier, astro.com has a paid-for natal profile using interpretations by Robert Pelletier, who is also the source of most of the interpretations, I believe, at astromatrix.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] @wind-up rex

It would also be helpful to know what profile Rex used...

From what I saw earlier, astro.com has a paid-for natal profile using interpretations by Robert Pelletier, who is also the source of most of the interpretations, I believe, at astromatrix.

She used the chart I gave you.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
She used the chart I gave you.

Yeah, but...

Well, see, here's the thing...

Maybe she just used a chart, and did the interpreting completely by herself.

Rex knows a lot about astrology (more than me), so she might've just done that.

But she also might've gotten a full profile, read it, figured out what was more and less relevant, and then given you her analysis.

That's really the best way to go about things, because the machine, as I said, just spits out information.

It has no idea what it's doing.

It's not a conscious being.

There is no interpreting.

Just a formula, with canned interpretations.

It doesn't know how to present to you what is really most important in our chart.

(A program could potentially be developed to get close to that, but none of them, as of yet, do that.)

(And, even then, the methodologies for doing so would still be limited, as conscious interpretation is really kind of necessary.)

This is largely because, as you said in your post before this one, it is indeed flawed to simply look at each piece of your chart in isolation.

It's what makes interpreting this stuff so complex (and that's not just obfuscation to make astrology more non-falsifiable than it really is).

It really makes complete sense why, if astrology is true, then this is how it would work.

The way to think of it is like combining colors (or, when you consider all the parts of your chart, like I said before: a kaleidoscope).

But, if we're using just two colors, out of let's say 8 different possible colors, then think of the following issue:

If two people both have blue as one of their colors, but one has yellow as their other, and the other has red as their other, then, when you combine the first person's, you get green, but when you combine the second person's, you get purple.

Green and purple, very different from one another.

But both of them had blue as half their "chart".

Half of their underlying material was the exact same, but the final picture ended up extremely different, because the other half of the underlying material was different for each person.

The same principle holds true for astrology, but you're dealing with something like 138 colors, I believe.

(that astromatrix site was actually the first to ever break it down that way, that I have seen.)

(and the way it breaks it down, giving an image to each aspect: super cool. i love it.)

And then, you're not just dealing with combining just two colors out of those 138, but usually like 25-30.

And then, you're not just dealing with equal amounts of each color thrown in, but certain colors are gunna have more weight (due to orbs, and other reasons), and others less.

That's how complex astrology gets.

I'd say I'm pretty damn versed in personality psychology, and astrology, if it's true, is hands down the most complex system of personality psychology there is.

Frankly, nothing else we have is even remotely close.

And, on top of it, I have found it, not only for myself, but for others as well, to be extremely accurate.

One has to go into it, though, with an open mind, or one will get absolutely nothing out of it.

It could be bunk, it could all just be forer effect, but not necessarily.

And unless one gives it a genuine and legitimate shot, and learns how it all actually supposedly works.

Then one real has no idea what they're talking about, as it's an extremely complex and subtle system, and cannot be understood, nor legitimately written off, without learning about it from the inside, as it understands itself, AND THEN coming to some kind of judgment.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
And, at this point, I'm going to reiterate, that anyone who has participated in this thread, absolutely should watch this interview:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1:14:28 = Everyone's 8 Worlds-​​Omega won Forever to Infinities-Ultimate and Will's 2 Lightning-Rainbows!

"It's the stillest words that bring on the Thunderstorms. Thoughts that come on Bunny's wings guide Her Worlds!" ~ Big Z

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's fine.

I already addressed this just a few posts above to Prplchknz:

Some things have no ability to inform outside of being subjected to the Forer effect. If something just hits you with a ball of contradictions, there's a problem.

That's fine, and it's an understandable interpretation.

But what I said is also what's absolutely necessary (and reasonably necessary, if one actually studies this stuff, and comes to understand how the interpretations are created/discovered/intuited), if you want to interpret a chart as it's meant to be interpreted.

Just like with the Forer Effect question, just because you can have that position, and do so reasonably, does not necessarily make it correct.

That, as I said, is the challenge of astrology.

Suspending one's (dis)belief, and giving a truly open-minded reading.

Because one cannot know, while one is genuinely doing such a thing, whether astrology is indeed (correspondentially) true or not.

Well, that's cuz you don't really know how it's supposed to work.

There are difficulties that you can understand only if you actually have taken a deep and genuinely open dive into it at all.

If one has not given astrology a chance, to truly openly try to understand it on its own terms, one really isn't in a position, having not seen it from the inside, and thus come to understand how it actually might work, to make any such determination.

I could provide many lengthy, detailed, and accurate reasons why computers present issues when it comes to interpretations.

And the reason I can is because I have actually done the work, and done so in a genuinely open, curious, and considerate way.

(And there's still plenty of work to do; I could not imagine I'm even 40% of the way to truly being completely adept at it.)

Well, you're right that I haven't invested much time in it, and I won't. I don't want to.

But do you know anyone who you think has invested this sufficient amount of time in it, and has kept an open mind in studying it, who has concluded that it is all bullshit?

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION],

I interpreted [MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION]'s chart from scratch using the basic astro.com natal chart and two special charts in their extended chart selection section.

I have a particular system for interpretations, and generally only refer to "canned" interpretations when reading someone I know as a way of keeping me honest.

In other words, the canned explanation is sort of like a benchmark, if what I'm saying about a particular aspect strays too far from the generalized interpretation, then I know my reading of the chart is too subjectively biased. I acknowledge to whomever I read that it's impossible to be 100% pure, but I can at least be objective about the amount of personal knowledge I'm bringing into a reading.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Some things have no ability to inform outside of being subjected to the Forer effect.

Ok.

And if astrology is not true, then this is the case for astrology.

But if it is true, then it is not the case.

So your statement still proves nothing.

If something just hits you with a ball of contradictions, there's a problem.

That depends on what you mean by "hits you with a ball of contradictions".

Some things, if you are being overly literal, can seem like a contradiction, but then, when examined more closely, and within proper context, all of a sudden reveal themselves as being perfectly able to reside within the same individual.

That's why I used the color analogy.

Having blue as one of your colors does not mean red cannot also be one of your colors.

The overly literal person would scream at that, "No! You can't be both red and blue!", and sound like an idiot.

Well, you're right that I haven't invested much time in it, and I won't. I don't want to.

That's fine, that's your choice.

Just remember that, when you're opining on the matter, you have an insufficient basis of knowledge for judgment.

And also, at the very least, if nothing else, you should watch that CBC interview with Tarnas.

At this point, to not do so, would be to intentionally remain willfully ignorant.

You don't have to believe it, but at least give it an open listen.

But do you know anyone who you think has invested this sufficient amount of time in it, and has kept an open mind in studying it, who has concluded that it is all bullshit?

I don't really know that many people who have invested any time in it.

The only person I know, really, who comes to mind, is Rex.

I know someone else who is into it (she actually is the one who originally gave me Tarnas' book), but she doesn't give nearly as critical an eye to it (she's an INFP, and, for whatever reason, was just more naturally inclined to believe in it).

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Which site did you use?

Thoughts?

I used astromatrix.

I thought it went really deep, actually. A lot of what it said was too eerily accurate and specific for it to simply be the Forer effect in action.. I think so anyway.

Never looked into my birth chart before. So glad I did.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I used astromatrix.

I thought went really deep. A lot of what it said was too eerily accurate and specific for it to simply be the Forer effect in action.. I think so anyway.

Never looked into my birth chart before. So glad I did.

Cool.

Glad you got value out of it.

I've got some techniques for making more sense of it.

So, if you have any questions, or would like some recommendations, just feel free to ask.

There's a lot of information in your natal chart, and figuring out what is more relevant, and what is less, can be challenging.

Not each aspect is as important as all the other ones, and figuring out the order of importance is helpful and valuable.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do I not see what everyone's talking about with this forer effect because I'm a 6w7?

...and already identify with having internal contradictions...

I guess I just don't see that as reason to debunk something... :thinking:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Do I not see what everyone's talking about with this forer effect because I'm a 6w7?

...and already identify with having internal contradictions...

I guess I just don't see that as reason to debunk something... :thinking:

I understand why people have these objections.

I just also see why they're wrong.

Or, at the very least, why they aren't necessarily meaningful.

And why, if you're actually giving astrology a fair chance to present itself, these objections don't come even close to negating it.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I understand why people have these objections.

I just also see why they're wrong.

Or, at the very least, why they aren't necessarily meaningful.

And why, if you're actually giving astrology a fair chance to present itself, these objections aren't anything close to negating it.

Yea, but when I first read about my chinese zodiac (I'm the rabbit) I scoffed. Then I found out I was a 6...and after that, I read it again and now I have no idea how I could have ever denied it.

Shadows work in mysterious ways... And one of the biggest purposes a shadow brings, is balance to our many contradictions....

At least that's my take on it.