User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 95

Thread: What is Wisdom?

  1. #71
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    But later, in Matthew 28, after Jesus has died and has been resurrected, he instructs the disciples to preach to all the world:
    I would not rely on that as Matthew 28:19 was famously interpolated by the catholic church. For example, early quotations do not contain 'the father' and 'the holy spirit'.

    It would also be very un-Jewish of Jesus to instruct his followers to proclaim his religious ideas to anyone but his fellow Jews.

  2. #72
    Senior Member Spurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I would not rely on that as Matthew 28:19 was famously interpolated by the catholic church. For example, early quotations do not contain 'the father' and 'the holy spirit'.

    It would also be very un-Jewish of Jesus to instruct his followers to proclaim his religious ideas to anyone but his fellow Jews.
    This must be a poor attempt at trolling. Or else, you really just don't know what you're talking about.

    In either case, I don't see addressing it any further as a productive use of my time.

  3. #73
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    This must be a poor attempt at trolling. Or else, you really just don't know what you're talking about.
    I think you do not know what you are dealing with: 'the bible' was not written in a day. Google it.

  4. #74
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I would not rely on that as Matthew 28:19 was famously interpolated by the catholic church. For example, early quotations do not contain 'the father' and 'the holy spirit'.

    It would also be very un-Jewish of Jesus to instruct his followers to proclaim his religious ideas to anyone but his fellow Jews.
    It would also be very unjewish of Jesus to begin his ministry by preaching to a samaritan woman or to tell a parable where the samaritan is the hero and the levite priest was the villain.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  5. #75
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    This must be a poor attempt at trolling. Or else, you really just don't know what you're talking about.

    In either case, I don't see addressing it any further as a productive use of my time.
    I wouldn't call setting argumentative traps trolling. Although, I'm sure he was thrilled when you quoted matthew 28 just as he planned.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  6. #76
    Cheeseburgers freeeekyyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    Yes, at that particular time, those were his instructions.

    What is your point?

    It's his fancy way of saying, "keep yer mouth shut, boy!"
    You lose.

    _______

    RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

    Johari Window|Nohari Window

  7. #77
    Senior Member Spurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I think you do not know what you are dealing with: 'the bible' was not written in a day. Google it.
    Even if that's true (which I don't see any reason to believe - just because some scholars say so is not sufficient for me) there is still the parallel passage in Mark 16:15:

    And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.
    And there is Acts 1:6-8:

    So when they had come together, they asked him, "Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?" He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."
    That's only the tip of the iceberg. But, clearly, the Gospel was intended to be preached to the entire world.

  8. #78
    facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    512

    Default

    And all this religious bickering has... what to do with wisdom, exactly?

    Many of choose not to believe in God in the Christian sense of the word. I guess that means none of us are wise then.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    "Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

  9. #79
    Senior Member Spurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    And all this religious bickering has... what to do with wisdom, exactly?
    I don't see any bickering. It looks like a very civil and respectful discussion to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    Many of choose not to believe in God in the Christian sense of the word. I guess that means none of us are wise then.
    You don't have to listen to me. Listen to the words of Christ Himself:


    Matthew 7:24-29

    “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

    When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.


  10. #80
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    I don't see any reason to believe - just because some scholars say so [...]
    I see, circular reasoning is not susceptible to things that happened in the real world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    But, clearly, the Gospel was intended to be preached to the entire world.
    F. C. Burkitt thinks that "most English readers of the New Testament have been too long content with the rough and ready Harmony of the Four Gospels that they unconsciously construct. This kind of 'Harmony' is not a very convincing picture when looked into, if only because it almost always conflicts with inconvenient statements of the Gospels themselves, statements that have been omitted from the 'Harmony,' not on any reasoned theory, but simply from inadvertence or the difficulty of fitting them in."

Similar Threads

  1. What is truth (split from post poll)
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 09:47 AM
  2. What is Philosophy?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 09:10 PM
  3. What is the craziest bit of technology you have read about in SF?
    By macjoven in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 08:15 PM
  4. What is the point of the MBTI?
    By Dufresne in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-31-2007, 04:37 AM
  5. Just what is on your desk?
    By disregard in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-25-2007, 08:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO