User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 95

Thread: What is Wisdom?

  1. #21
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I have to wonder though, how do we not do what is wrong without then inadvertently doing what is right? Wouldn't it be right in itself just not to do what is wrong - to not make a mistake?
    Are right and wrong the only options? If you are not doing wrong, are you automatically then doing right? You might be doing nothing, but then nothing might be the wrong (or the right) thing to do in the circumstances. Right and wrong are too vague and subjective. Wisdom is more about understanding and effectiveness, what our experiences teach us about navigating the world with positive outcomes. Positive here does not mean right in any moral sense, just "correct" in the sense of the course of action that brings us closer to our goals.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  2. #22
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Knowing enough not to answer this question.
    I fail...wisely?
    not by my definition.
    In yours?

  3. #23
    . Blank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    That's a good point. I guess if it's the kind of exploitation that others aren't aware of, so they don't know what harm is being done to them, then is it really harm? I would say so because these are the things that cause betrayal, which leads to negative emotions (which can lead to turmoil, violence, and suffering) and that is harmful. And then if the exploitation wasn't harmful, then is it just balancing a world, like a Robin Hood stealing from the rich (without the rich knowing) and giving to the poor? I guess that would be okay, if it was stopped before it became harmful.

    I guess my question to you is, does the shrewd person create a trail of karma that comes back to bite them in the ass?
    I guess that depends if you believe in karma, doesn't it?

    One could make the argument that a wise person would not (need to) extort someone. Maybe it all comes down to approach.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

    -----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

  4. #24
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Are right and wrong the only options? If you are not doing wrong, are you automatically then doing right? You might be doing nothing, but then nothing might be the wrong (or the right) thing to do in the circumstances. Right and wrong are too vague and subjective. Wisdom is more about understanding and effectiveness, what our experiences teach us about navigating the world with positive outcomes. Positive here does not mean right in any moral sense, just "correct" in the sense of the course of action that brings us closer to our goals.
    I'm not sure I like the idea of eliminating right and wrong. If things can't be right or wrong, then what meaning does anything have? How do we make choices? If something can be good or bad, then wouldn't our pursuit of the good be what we think to be the right course of action? For some people, pursuing the bad might seem the right course of action, to receive punishment and moral clarity. I'm not really sure you can have a will without the concept of there being right and wrong. You don't think so?

  5. #25
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    I guess that depends if you believe in karma, doesn't it?
    If there is evidence for it, then doesn't it exist in some ways, but perhaps not all? Then you wouldn't have to believe in it as a theory of everything for it to exist. Maybe it only would exist sometimes.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Zangetshumody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Wisdom is the knowledge that comes from exercising critical thought.
    Knowledge is not the product of prudence, it is constructive faith.
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Zangetshumody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    And do how do we know we can trust God?

    The answer is: by faith.

    We must take him at his word, and then we find that what he says is true.

    We never find that what he says is true until we take him at his word. And, sadly, that is the stumbling block for us.

    Thankfully, by God's grace, we can overcome this problem. He gives faith to those who seek it from him.
    I'm all for taking someone by their word... have you read the bible? This guy has- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3rGe...feature=relmfu I would love to hear a real response from you on each terrible thing cited.

    Faith is not blind faith.
    Last edited by Zangetshumody; 11-12-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Faith is not blind faith.
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

  8. #28
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I'm not sure I like the idea of eliminating right and wrong. If things can't be right or wrong, then what meaning does anything have? How do we make choices? If something can be good or bad, then wouldn't our pursuit of the good be what we think to be the right course of action? For some people, pursuing the bad might seem the right course of action, to receive punishment and moral clarity. I'm not really sure you can have a will without the concept of there being right and wrong. You don't think so?
    Right and wrong are just words. What do they mean? Without meaning behind these terms, you might as well carry on without them, and use some other yardstick to judge your actions. Are you assuming certain definitions or standards of right and wrong? What if they are different from someone else's?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  9. #29
    Senior Member Spurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zang View Post
    I'm all for taking someone by their word... have you read the bible? This guy has- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3rGe...feature=relmfu I would love to hear a real response from you on each terrible thing cited.

    Faith is not blind faith.

    I have only one thing to say about that video.

    Psalm 53:1 - "The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.'"

  10. #30
    Senior Member Zangetshumody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    I have only one thing to say about that video.

    Psalm 53:1 - "The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.'"
    There is a big leap, from the belief in a God, to a belief in the Christian God.
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

Similar Threads

  1. What is truth (split from post poll)
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 09:47 AM
  2. What is Philosophy?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 09:10 PM
  3. What is the craziest bit of technology you have read about in SF?
    By macjoven in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 08:15 PM
  4. What is the point of the MBTI?
    By Dufresne in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-31-2007, 04:37 AM
  5. Just what is on your desk?
    By disregard in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-25-2007, 08:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO