User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: What is Wisdom?

MBTI
    xNxx

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    What is "right" changes as society changes. Wisdom is knowing what is WRONG and NOT doing it.
    No.

Actually, wisdom is something that never changes. The same thing with Truth--what is right and what is wrong. It transcends time and place, and does not depend on the fads and fancies of people.

There has always been, and always will be, true wisdom and that which people mistake as wisdom.

There really is nothing new under the sun.

Spurgeon,

Would you agree that principles are discovered, not created then?

MBTI
    xNxx

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Pine View Post
    Spurgeon,

Would you agree that principles are discovered, not created then?
    Well, they originate from God, so he doesn't have to discover them.
    But yes, humans can only discover them. They can't create them.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I agree with Spurgeon's posts on this topic.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

From the OP:
    Wisdom is knowing what is right and doing it.
    I would say this is morality. Wisdom is more like learning from your experiences (as opposed to just muddling through and not benefitting from the lesson).
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by earthtrekker1775 View Post
    I agree with Spurgeon's posts on this topic.
    What if there was no presupposition of truth? Would dogma still be an effective method for discovering the truth?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I think wisdom can be comparable to the notion of common sense. While common sense is...common, wisdom is not. Wisdom then, to me, would seem to be "uncommon sense" in that the right answers to complex problems are not very commonly found, and to those people who do have this "uncommon sense," we may deem wise.

However, I feel that notion of wisdom is too narrow. Certainly, there are those who hold an "uncommon" sense and use it to their advantage, ripping off others. The connotation I perceive when I think about wisdom is that wisdom is a positive thing and is used only beneficently. Thus, wisdom must be good and pure. But this makes me wonder: what are the boundaries of wisdom? As soon as one crosses the threshold of using wisdom for the sake of the betterment of others in good faith and enters the threshold of exploitation, that person is no longer wise, I argue; he is shrewd.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Wisdom is to shut up and know you're not or never will be wise.

Unless you're a movie character. And an 80 year old Chinese guy or Native American. Probably sitting by a campfire.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    I think wisdom can be comparable to the notion of common sense. While common sense is...common, wisdom is not. Wisdom then, to me, would seem to be "uncommon sense" in that the right answers to complex problems are not very commonly found, and to those people who do have this "uncommon sense," we may deem wise.

However, I feel that notion of wisdom is too narrow. Certainly, there are those who hold an "uncommon" sense and use it to their advantage, ripping off others. The connotation I perceive when I think about wisdom is that wisdom is a positive thing and is used only beneficently. Thus, wisdom must be good and pure. But this makes me wonder: what are the boundaries of wisdom? As soon as one crosses the threshold of using wisdom for the sake of the betterment of others in good faith and enters the threshold of exploitation, that person is no longer wise, I argue; he is shrewd.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    Not sure how to quote a quote but relating to OP quoting Spurgeon: What is "right" changes as society changes. Wisdom is knowing what is WRONG and NOT doing it. Religion has nothing to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    From the OP:

I would say this is morality. Wisdom is more like learning from your experiences (as opposed to just muddling through and not benefitting from the lesson).
    I have to wonder though, how do we not do what is wrong without then inadvertently doing what is right? Wouldn't it be right in itself just not to do what is wrong - to not make a mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Simple truths.
    I don't really know if I have much idea what you refer to. Do you mean like learning to take the bad with the good, focus on the good, and not think too much lest the good then becomes the bad, sort of thing? What did you have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post

That's a good point. I guess if it's the kind of exploitation that others aren't aware of, so they don't know what harm is being done to them, then is it really harm? I would say so because these are the things that cause betrayal, which leads to negative emotions (which can lead to turmoil, violence, and suffering) and that is harmful. And then if the exploitation wasn't harmful, then is it just balancing a world, like a Robin Hood stealing from the rich (without the rich knowing) and giving to the poor? I guess that would be okay, if it was stopped before it became harmful.

I guess my question to you is, does the shrewd person create a trail of karma that comes back to bite them in the ass?