User Tag List

First 8910

Thread: What is Wisdom?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    That's only the tip of the iceberg. But, clearly, the Gospel was intended to be preached to the entire world.
    Not necessarily, and it doesn't matter anyway. The Bahai idea of progressive revelation has always made much more sense, namely that God has sent a special messenger to each time and culture, to reveal his truth in an appropriate way, like successive editions of a textbook. Much attributed to Jesus is indeed wise, but the idea that Jesus himself was unique is simply foolish. The closest we can come to Jesus' actual words is probably the Sayings Gospel Q. If people derive inspiration and guidance from these for living a more fulfilling and productive life, they need no more proof of historical accuracy than Aesop's Fables.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I just meant right and wrong very broadly to mean essentially decision making which causes a person to produce an action or not to act at all. It's not really about judging actions as it's purpose is about understanding where and why they deviate by understanding the conclusions an individual reached.
    Your meaning here escapes me. Are you equating right and wrong with "works" and "doesn't work"? Are you saying it is best to judge actions by their outcomes? Understanding where and why they [actions, presumably] deviate from what??

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I don't know if you're thinking about this in terms of morality, but I didn't mean to include that (yet?), since the concept of morality is much more abstract to me and seems to build upon all of philosophy.

Do you have a problem with the idea of a subjective decision-making between different people? I would be interested to here how you resolve that idea into understanding people and reality if you do.
    I was not thinking in terms of morality, but I had the impression you were. I think more in terms of effectiveness, keeping in mind that one has many goals at one time, and must constantly balance and prioritize them. Nine times out of ten, this method leads to the same outcome as more conventional morality might. The tenth time either multiple outcomes are equivalent, or perhaps I haven't run into these situations (accounts for the fact that I may not be able to account for every eventuality).

I think the subjectivity comes largely in what goals people have, what is important to them. Since values are one of the inputs to the decision making process, it will necessarily have a subjective component. Reaching those goals, however, is a much more objective process. Different values and motivations may lead different people, say, to decide to reduce their personal debt, but the same basic financial principles apply.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    The wise decision is to simply accept the different beliefs of others, whether they contradict yours or not, instead blindly following doctrine as "truth" when it is simply "guidance".
    I think there are many people who would disagree and believe that accepting Nazism would not be such a good thing.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    I think there are many people who would disagree and believe that accepting Nazism would not be such a good thing.
    Things within reason, obviously.

If it was something directly or intentionally hurting others, it won't really be particularly wise, now would it?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    INTJ

Wisdom...
    I have often considered the introverted perceiving functions (Ni & Si) the elements of wisdom. Wisdom should be oriented within yourself, and judgement is not wisdom. Wisdom is perceptively conceiving the works of your mind, all from the internal state. Judgement is derived after appropiate wisdom, directed by perception in this case. Wisdom is seeing the guidance of thoughts, or whatever. Wise characters are often xSxJs (with experience) or xNxJs. Of course, wisdom is kind of general and various.