• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?" -clever t-shirt

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Solipsism?

Can anything or anyone be proven to exist other than or outside of one's own mind. I am curious to see where people stand on this curious bit of philosophy.

Talk amongst yourselves.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
It can't be proven absolutely, but I have enough evidence to convince myself of the existence of an objective reality anyway. :laugh:

<says the girl dreaming of her "objective reality" from her pod in the matrix>

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It can't be proven absolutely, but I have enough evidence to convince myself of the existence of an objective reality anyway. :laugh:

<says the girl dreaming of her "objective reality" from her pod in the matrix>

I still hold hope in a matrix like outer reality.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Don't you mean "talk amongst myself"? :wink:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
The question seems wholly uninteresting and useless to me, but hey, whatever floats some people's boats. I remember reading about Ayn Rand and how she and her, um, crew would hold meetings wherein their own existences would be debated, and I laughed out loud. The absurdity of her and Alan Greenspan sitting around being like, "do you exist outside my mind?" is just too much.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Whether people exist or not outside of my mind, is not the question. Whether I get hurt or not by playing with my own mind is the real question. :D

No, I am not a solipsist, but my username is derived from an imaginative character that is a solipsist.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
or "myselves"..

But myselves is technically myself, because ultimately, "talking amongst myselves" is "talking amongst myself."

Unless, that is, everyone is a figment of my imagination I just created, thus, you are my imagined images. So, I am talking to my imagined images.

Lark

For a theory that's essentially regarded by most as a curio its pretty much evident in the behaviour and disclosed thoughts of most that they accept it as objective fact.