12 Last

Thread: Animal Skinning

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Animal Skinning

Mod note: Video removed - FAQ about violent/gory images applies to video as well. Posting a link to the video should be ok though, if you'd like, assuming adequate warning

Viewers discretion: EXTREMELY violent and disturbing images presented on the above video, not for the faint-hearted.

Click here for the video

I thought animal testing is bad, but never thought of skinning animals alive is still a common practice around the world.

I've created a petition here and please sign up to support for a ban from the Chinese government.

I hope TypeC members will help me to put an end of torturing animals in the most inhumane form under the heading of humanity.
    Last edited by Crescent Fresh; 11-03-2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: graphic video removed

MBTI
    INTP

I know many consumable animals often have pain inflicted upon them for the purpose of improving taste, but I wonder what the rationale is for skinning an animals alive. It just seems so difficult. Animals thrash and bolt guns are something I would expect an industrial giant like China to have no problem producing. I would imagine that the integrity of the skin is compromised by performing the skinning process on a moving animal.

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I know many consumable animals often have pain inflicted upon them for the purpose of improving taste, but I wonder what the rationale is for skinning an animals alive. It just seems so difficult. Animals thrash and bolt guns are something I would expect an industrial giant like China to have no problem producing. I would imagine that the integrity of the skin is compromised by performing the skinning process on a moving animal.

Exactly. The question asks why animals have to be skinned alive. That can be interpreted two ways: Why do mean and nasty people skin animals alive? or why is it necessary to skin the animals alive? The answer to the second interpretation is that it is NOT necessary to skin them alive. People might do that in order to keep the fur in one piece or for other reasons, but IT IS NOT NECESSARY!

MBTI
    NICE

A larger animal would be easier to skin alive than dead.

The momentum of the animal's struggle can be used by a skillful knifesman against the animal, rather than manhandling a deadweight corpse.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by matmos View Post
    A larger animal would be easier to skin alive than dead.

The momentum of the animal's struggle can be used by a skillful knifesman against the animal, rather than manhandling a deadweight corpse.
    That would be true if the movement could be predicted.

For example, during LASIK surgery, some of the newer laser models track the location of the eyeball 4,000 times each second. This allows the cutting process to continue regardless of movement. There is no analogous procedure for skinning a moving animal, unfortunately. Frankly, the notion is impractical even with an overactive imagination.

Anew Leaf

I couldn't even watch more than 30s. That is horrible.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I can't watch the video.. nor do I want to. I don't want to get worked up. I mean, the Chinese goverment and animal rights? There's a few steps to go before they that gets on the radar. Aren't the Chinese pretty much notorious for eating, snorting, and lotioning up with almost every animal processed in every imaginable way?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I watched the video and it is very disgusting and disturbing. I truly hope that the practice of live-skinning of animals will grind to a quick halt. However I also read the talking points of the petition and I will never sign it or any like it. Point number 1 is solid, all others leave way too much room for animal rights groups' real agenda. I do not and will not in any way support the liberal, misguided and dangerous agendas of the animal rights movement.
    Thanks for posting the video. The best way we can change China's practices is to hurt them where it counts. Don't buy their products.

edit: This is now a 5 star thread! You're welcome.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Crescent Fresh View Post
    Exactly. The question asks why animals have to be skinned alive. That can be interpreted two ways: Why do mean and nasty people skin animals alive? or why is it necessary to skin the animals alive? The answer to the second interpretation is that it is NOT necessary to skin them alive. People might do that in order to keep the fur in one piece or for other reasons, but IT IS NOT NECESSARY!
    You have me in an ethical stranglehold. I'm surprised.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont want to watch any film with this sort of content, that sounds sick, I hate to think of a lot of the cruel practices which endure around the world. I make a start by abstaining from any myself and encouraging others not to.

While I'm less aggrieved at people killing seals or other animals when its been a tradition and is sustainable and I'm not that bothered about species extinction, at least I lose no sleep, or things like bull riding or bull fighting I cant think of any reason at all in which modern day scape goating or skinning alive would be legit.