User Tag List

123 Last

Default Real absolute and objective evil?

Do you believe that there is a real, absolute and obejctive evil in existence or is it just all a projection of peoples worst or wickednest traits by themselves onto an "other"?

Jung said both of these things, without considering there to be a seeming contradiction. Some how I think he is right, that it could be both but I'm not sure how I resolve the seeming contradiction.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Well, there is the school of thought that says that evil is what evil does, but I don't really buy that. All acts of evil proceed from very natural and good impulses, usually in an incorrect or inappropriate manner. What makes it evil, is like you mentioned, we don't wish to identify with it and push it off to 'other'.

Maybe the closest thing to true evil is impersonal, things like disease and natural disaster. Those things are true 'other'.

The two most destructive forces in the universe are black holes and supernovae. They can obliterate anything around them spanning light years in distance. If it's possible that life outside earth exists, then it's entirely possible that either of these two forces killed billions or trillions of small school children in an instant. And yet.. there's nothing evil about them. As far as we know. It's the highest form of senseless disregard for life, and yet.. objectively speaking, it's natural. In fact, it's beneficial to have them around. What does that say about lesser destructive forces? I don't have the answer myself. It just makes me wonder why I should draw certain distinctions at times. Half of the stuff we'd consider evil is pointless in the grand scheme of things.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    ... It just makes me wonder why I should draw certain distinctions at times. Half of the stuff we'd consider evil is pointless in the grand scheme of things.
    "Evil" is based on values, which means it needs someone to hold and define the value before it can be defined as "good" or "evil." It's typically also personal in that it's experienced on a personal level, not an impersonal one.

Any criteria we would select as defining "evil" is based on one's own personal sense of what needs to be prioritized. Are we saying that "majority rules" in what sort of things should be considered to be truly "evil"? If enough people think it's evil, is it evil?

We can try to detach it from human values by looking at the outcome of the particular action... but since at that point the action can be described clinically, is there any value to labeling it "good" or "evil"?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I suppose it depends on how you define evil.

Probably the best definition I've heard is that evil is "the absence of empathy". Since biological organisms seem to be the only ones concerned with things like hatred, cruelty, jealously, and things of that nature, I'd have to say "evil" is subjective to the person or group of persons making the call.

I doubt very much any asteroid that may hit our planet would be concerned as to the civilizations, people, and cultural history it's about to wipe out.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The only bad is a negative experience. Pain and sorrow, or the absence of pleasure and joy. That sort of thing.

The ability to determine if something is bad is related only to the ability to quantify those positive and negative experiences and how something relates to them.

I suspect my morality cannot then have evil, because I take evil to be something 100% and intrinsically bad. There
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

There is and I have seen it.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Any criteria we would select as defining "evil" is based on one's own personal sense of what needs to be prioritized. Are we saying that "majority rules" in what sort of things should be considered to be truly "evil"? If enough people think it's evil, is it evil?
    I have personal values, but yeah.. I'm not sure what they're really worth, "objectively" speaking.

And majority rules is not a good measure. Considering how long civilization has been around, look how long it's taken to even protest against slavery. The majority is only waking up now. Kind of.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by earthtrekker1775 View Post
    There is and I have seen it.
    Did it look like more like Ernest Borgnine or Christopher Lee?

(That's my quirky way of saying, "Uh... and what did it look like?")
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

No.