User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    If evil exists, it exists only in the mind. Similarly, if other abstract concepts like love or happiness exist, they only exist in the mind. You wont find something physical, in the real world, that is a substance of love, happiness or evil. If that is the question..then no, I don't believe physical evil exists..just as I don't believe physical love, or happiness exist.
    But isn't the mind itself physical? I mean the brain itself-- it's made out of something, right? So anything that happens in it is some piece of physical matter. So, regardless of whether it's imagined or whatnot, one way or another it's there.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

Permabanned

By "mind", I mean something closer to "consciousness". However, as far as consciousness goes, what it is, where it is, or even if it is, is beyond me. The physicalness of consciousness is something I have no clue about. As far as I know, it's been the focus of many people for 1000s of years.

I tend to think of it as a "code" of "communication" among different physical parts of the brain. Just like language isn't "physical"..but it exists, for sure. However "language" has physical manifestations, and so too does consciousness, or "minds". The code/consciousness is the "nature"...the physical brain is the "nurture". (Which is ironic since what I'm saying implies what traditionally has been thought of as nature is actually nurture, and what has been thought of as nurture, is actually closer to nature)..but, then again, how can it be doubted? Humans have been manipulating "nature" since the beginning, and intrinsic to human thought of nature has always been a sort of "permanency", which we ourselves have demonstrated time and time again to always be false. About the only consistent thing about nature is how inconsistent it seems. On the flip side, nurture seems to be pretty predictable and consistent, for the most part. History repeats itself..and all that jazz...(though the beautiful thing about nurture is how it is always the same, yet constantly changing. History, for example, is always the same, yet it is always changing.)

However, the mind, and consciousness, could quite conceivably be nothing but something physical. This is all just idle speculation. I wouldn't know for sure, or even know how to go about knowing for sure(other than some pretty ethically questionable experiments...lol)

I think to answer the question one must first define evil, and for the purposes of my response it is anything that is inherently wrong.

I would say yes, evil certainly exists, and it is where one intentionally breaches a contract or encroaches upon another's person or property.

Also, I am aware that this is opinion to some and not fact. I believe that a western religious, or, more accurately, common law basis agrees with my statement, but for those who are not religious this may be a hard concept to understand from my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    You misunderstood me, Victor. I am to Keyser Söze as... no, I shall not speak of it. The truth is shrouded in mystery and better be kept therein, only to be seen and embraced by those who are fit to grasp it on their own but on his terms.

I hope we understand each other now.
    With respect.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Do you believe that there is a real, absolute and obejctive evil in existence or is it just all a projection of peoples worst or wickednest traits by themselves onto an "other"?

Jung said both of these things, without considering there to be a seeming contradiction. Some how I think he is right, that it could be both but I'm not sure how I resolve the seeming contradiction.
    Both. There is no contradiction. Couldn't it exist both ways? Why either/or? Nothing needs to be resolved.

Ginkgo

Sometimes I think people think the concept of evil is evil.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Do you believe that there is a real, absolute and obejctive evil in existence or is it just all a projection of peoples worst or wickednest traits by themselves onto an "other"?

Jung said both of these things, without considering there to be a seeming contradiction. Some how I think he is right, that it could be both but I'm not sure how I resolve the seeming contradiction.
    Evil is a concept, not an entity. How are the two things different?
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Evil is a concept, not an entity. How are the two things different?
    Concepts are what?

I mean, gravity is a concept, it is also an objective force, without any conception the force still exerts itself and exists independent of any conceptualisation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Concepts are what?

I mean, gravity is a concept, it is also an objective force, without any conception the force still exerts itself and exists independent of any conceptualisation.
    And this is also true of evil.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    And this is also true of evil.
    Yes. AKA The Devil.