User Tag List

First 56789 Last

The Tell-Tale Umlaut

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Keyser Söze is the one who wrote what you read when you read what I wrote. To you, we are one; yet I have never seen him. When he speaks, I talk; yet when I speak, he remains silent.
    Oh my God (OMG) Nicodemus, you know that it is Keyser Söze with an umlaut.

Some say you are as close to Keyser Söze as whileness is to snow, or as close as an umlaut is to Söze.

I find this hard to believe Nicodemus. I have always seen you as a friend to us all. Someone who would make the perfect moderator. But now we discover the tell-tale umlaut.

But we are left on the kerb stupified as you speed off in your limousine.

Sniffles

The concept of evil is very silly indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Oh my God (OMG) Nicodemus, you know that it is Keyser Söze with an umlaut.

Some say you are as close to Keyser Söze as whileness is to snow, or as close as an umlaut is to Söze.

I find this hard to believe Nicodemus. I have always seen you as a friend to us all. Someone who would make the perfect moderator. But now we discover the tell-tale umlaut.

But we are left on the kerb stupified as you speed off in your limousine.
    You misunderstood me, Victor. I am to Keyser Söze as... no, I shall not speak of it. The truth is shrouded in mystery and better be kept therein, only to be seen and embraced by those who are fit to grasp it on their own but on his terms.

I hope we understand each other now.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Evil to me is an ironic word... I don't think I've ever used it earnestly, though it does have some importance to my internal guidance, regarding what choices to make & whatnot. There are some times where I'm thinking stuff & realize "hey, that's kind of some evil thinking," & then stop to figure out why I feel that.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    The concept of evil is very silly indeed.
    Did you choose the signature just for that?

Sniffles

No but I couldn't help but notice how well it fits into this thread.

I'm not sure how to answer this. I see pain and suffering in all of us as evil and think the good comes from alleviating that. But if someone causes another to suffer in order to alleviate their suffering, I don't consider that good or evil, but ying and yang and something to be balanced.

So it would have an objective component of something we all would like and the subjective yin and yang part that muddles it and has consequence only through how we choose to understand and rationalize the balance.

I don't really know if that makes any sense though. It's an instinct I've always felt that always stops my will completely if I think I'm hurting someone to alleviate suffering of my own.

I think that's why I don't like being around people too much - that transference. It's a catch-22; screwed up people know that they screw up other people by being around them. Unfortunately, when someone attempts to help someone whose mind is full of cognitive dissonance, it means they have to be willing to have it transferred in an effort to resolve it. Most people don't care enough to be bothered or they are too busy juggling reality to keep themselves in check with that balance. The reasons are all individual and I don't suppose it makes sense to argue whether or not these reasons can be right or wrong or good and bad, but it does represent a recurring problem.

edit: It's kind of interesting that Jung's representation of the ego and the unconscious seem to be about a philosophical yin and yang, at least the way he describes them in relation to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Evil exists only in the mind.
    Minds exist.
    A minds existence is real.
    A minds existence is absolute.
    A minds existence is objective.
    Therefore; real, absolute and objective evil exists.

or something like that.
    I like it when people compare things simply and thoroughly, but for completeness-sake, do you consider your first statement a postulate?

Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    The Bible is not an ordinary book. Understanding it requires wisdom and knowlege which comes directly from God.
    You seem interesting. I have a personal question for you though, if you don't mind indulging my curiosity over your personal sanctum. What is wisdom?

MBTI
    xNxx

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post

You seem interesting. I have a personal question for you though, if you don't mind indulging my curiosity over your personal sanctum. What is wisdom?
    Wisdom is knowing what is right and doing it. God does all things according to wisdom, and those who place their hope in him are wise.

ReflecTcelfeR

I'd imagine objective evil does not exist in the eyes of human. Though it can exist. Not as it is natural, but because we cease to exist, and without our perceptions the objectivity shines through.

Permabanned

If evil exists, it exists only in the mind. Similarly, if other abstract concepts like love or happiness exist, they only exist in the mind. You wont find something physical, in the real world, that is a substance of love, happiness or evil. If that is the question..then no, I don't believe physical evil exists..just as I don't believe physical love, or happiness exist.

I prove it to myself that evil exists in my mind by thinking the following.
    Some of my thoughts are good.
    Some of my thoughts bad.
    Thoughts themselves are neither good nor bad. They just are.
    Therefore there exists something separate from thoughts in me which influences my thoughts (and feelings, I guess) in ways I deem both positively, and negatively.**
    The thing that influences my thoughts in ways I deem negatively, I call, and understand it as, evil.
    Therefore, evil, as I understand the concept, exists.

Are there physical manifestations of evil that exist in the real world? Of course..just as there are physical manifestations of love, power, respect etc etc. But the evil, love, respect, power...etc..does not exist in the thing...it's merely a representation of the thing that exists in most peoples mind. It's why the money system works without it being backed up by anything in the real world anymore. Money, that is, the paper, metal, and plastic physical things that money is, represents wealth/power/whatever, abstract concepts, but concepts that are mutually agreed upon as valid by the masses. But, at the end of the day it's just paper/metal/plastic (and increasingly not even that..money is literally becoming digital information..or code..or communication), and even before that, it was just shiny stones...it's just humans have placed a value on it...as we do everything. If humans have the ability to place value on things, and a person places a value of "evil" on something, then, that thing proves that evil exist, for that person. A person who doesn't place a value of evil on anything exists in a state in which evil doesn't exist. But...I'd argue that there is no such thing as that person. I could be wrong though, who knows?

It's why "flower" can represent "love", but "flower" and "love" are two different things. A bouquet of flowers is only "love" it is meant to be. Otherwise, they are just biological organisms..

Does evil exist? Only in the mind. But "minds" are all we have, and know.

**I call this "humanity"...others call it "God"..others "common sense"...and the really myopic confuse this with ideologies that weren't even thought up by them..such as "America"..or "Liberalism" or "Conservatism"...it's truly disgusting. Anyway...