• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The book of Job and fair weather friends

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Am I the only person who finds it amusing how the ending of Job is consistently ommitted in discussions whinning about its content?

Are you referring to the happy ending? My stance is still the same. If this explains a spiritual truth, well.. it's a nice story. If it is a record of something God actually did to a guy, not so nice, even though it had a happy ending.

KDude

It's not exactly a happy ending. He still lost things that couldn't be replaced. Like.. oh.. all of his kids.

So God bought him a new car later on. Whee...

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't really argue with Christians about this, because you believe that Job, and his kids, are already sinful and only worthy of Hell in the first place, and anything good given is a mercy. I don't believe this.

And I can't fathom how anybody could ever read this story, or more importantly, write it, other than as an allegory. There is no common ground for discussion.

KDude

I can't really argue with Christians about this, because you believe that Job is already sinful and only worthy of Hell in the first place, and anything good given is a mercy. I don't believe this.

If that's the Christian interpretation, then it's no different than Job's own friends answer to him. They blamed it on Job too. Funnily, God never did.

S

Sniffles

I can't really argue with Christians about this, because you believe that Job, and his kids, are already sinful and only worthy of Hell in the first place, and anything good given is a mercy. I don't believe this.

And I can't fathom how anybody could ever read this story, or more importantly, write it, other than as an allegory. There is no common ground for discussion.

It was fun discussing this with you too. Let's do it again sometime. :hi:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It was fun discussing this with you too. Let's do it again sometime. :hi:

:shrug: I grew up sitting in living rooms listening to religious banter and scripture quoting. It rarely goes anywhere.

KDude

I'm curious though why people would defend that interpretation, when it's clearly spelled out as wrong. Job was innocent for his punishment.. or rather, he wasn't exactly being punished at all. If anything, the answer God gives him is that it's simply out of Job's cognitive range to ever understand. He doesn't give him an answer. What he does is paint a picture of his own providence, a world where God's eyes monitor the stars, the sea, lions and their cubs, ravens, even monsters like the Leviathan. He speaks of some primeval order at best.. not a moral order. And he considers Job's questions ignorant. Only his friends make it a moral issue. And the only reason Job backs off is because he admits to that ignorance, and the power terrifies him.

S

Sniffles

:shrug: I grew up sitting in living rooms listening to religious banter and scripture quoting. It rarely goes anywhere.
Maybe if you guys turned it into a Bibleopoly championship - that always makes things fun!
Monopoly-Bibleopoly2-500x497.jpg

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=9214]KDude[/MENTION]

So, you are really reading the Bible. Why?

Maybe if you guys turned it into a Bibleopoly championship - that always makes things fun!

No need to be insulting. There's a reason that I'm cutting and running here.

Lark

I wouldnt argue for a minute that they're were already sinful and deserving of punishment, I dont know where all that comes from but I totally and utterly reject it, its totally out of step with both the old testament and judahism, which is an important tradition by itself which Christians shouldnt forget and can learn things from (although if Christianity was in better shape it could be a two way street), and its totally and utterly at odds with the life and ministry of Jesus.

However, a lot of the horror at suffering, the entire "problem of evil" dilemma and debate, is born of a very worldly faith and belief system, if you have a truly spiritual or supernatural belief then their deaths were about as wicked as waking someone up too early in the morning, its a shame they didnt get as long a sleep as they hoped or expected but the whole day isnt a bust because of it.

Lark

Monopoly-Bibleopoly2-500x497.jpg

My community chest card reads "Tradition predates and while postdate the bible. You win." so I dont need to play.

Shouldnt it be called Solo-Scripture-opoly?

Actually speaking of fun rip offs of monopoly did anyone see the Ghettopoly? I think it got pulled from UK stores, I didnt get one but I remember thinking "you've got to be joking" when I saw it, I cant remember the uber-capitalist one which had budding entreprenuers vs. established monopolies to try and attack the original teaching idea behind monopoly, ie that capitalism sucks donkey balls.