User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Am I the only person who finds it amusing how the ending of Job is consistently ommitted in discussions whinning about its content?
    Are you referring to the happy ending? My stance is still the same. If this explains a spiritual truth, well.. it's a nice story. If it is a record of something God actually did to a guy, not so nice, even though it had a happy ending.

Sniffles

It wasn't a nice thing to do eh? Oh ok.

It's not exactly a happy ending. He still lost things that couldn't be replaced. Like.. oh.. all of his kids.

So God bought him a new car later on. Whee...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I can't really argue with Christians about this, because you believe that Job, and his kids, are already sinful and only worthy of Hell in the first place, and anything good given is a mercy. I don't believe this.

And I can't fathom how anybody could ever read this story, or more importantly, write it, other than as an allegory. There is no common ground for discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I can't really argue with Christians about this, because you believe that Job is already sinful and only worthy of Hell in the first place, and anything good given is a mercy. I don't believe this.
    If that's the Christian interpretation, then it's no different than Job's own friends answer to him. They blamed it on Job too. Funnily, God never did.

Sniffles

I can't really argue with Christians about this, because you believe that Job, and his kids, are already sinful and only worthy of Hell in the first place, and anything good given is a mercy. I don't believe this.

And I can't fathom how anybody could ever read this story, or more importantly, write it, other than as an allegory. There is no common ground for discussion.
    It was fun discussing this with you too. Let's do it again sometime.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    It was fun discussing this with you too. Let's do it again sometime.
    I grew up sitting in living rooms listening to religious banter and scripture quoting. It rarely goes anywhere.

I'm curious though why people would defend that interpretation, when it's clearly spelled out as wrong. Job was innocent for his punishment.. or rather, he wasn't exactly being punished at all. If anything, the answer God gives him is that it's simply out of Job's cognitive range to ever understand. He doesn't give him an answer. What he does is paint a picture of his own providence, a world where God's eyes monitor the stars, the sea, lions and their cubs, ravens, even monsters like the Leviathan. He speaks of some primeval order at best.. not a moral order. And he considers Job's questions ignorant. Only his friends make it a moral issue. And the only reason Job backs off is because he admits to that ignorance, and the power terrifies him.

Sniffles

I grew up sitting in living rooms listening to religious banter and scripture quoting. It rarely goes anywhere.
    Maybe if you guys turned it into a Bibleopoly championship - that always makes things fun!

You're becoming even more snarky than me. Grats