INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Awakened became and born unto thee
    Kiss'd divine in Heaven a priori
    Soul joins body in earthly home
    His respite always there, though I might be gone.

Glorious Days! oh deity fine
    Whimsical mine eyes rest on thine
    Spirit in Heaven and Body Christ
    He protects me now, though I sin forever and thriced.

In the black of night existential knowing
    Only illuminated by golden lunar glowing
    Who will grant me respite in this lengthy life
    Oh Great One lends strength, through my times of strife.

As I go about my worldly ways
    Self-centered and wicked in perpetual stays
    I seek what lacks, never fulfilled
    While God gives me Love, real contentment instilled.

I knew Him when I was little, I think. I went to church and was very pious in thought and deed and spirit. Then I became an 'atheist,' though I always believed in some Tri Omni consciousness....Now I believe that is God and it just feels right and good for me to believe.

I think non-believers, while they can be very logical and loving people, seem to lack something that believers have; an open-minded soulfulness. Or something...
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I was 15. I never saw, heard, or felt anything. But I experienced something, and I believe that something to be the work of higher..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    It is interesting, isn't it? All this can be explained with coincidence and confirmation bias. Yet the meaning of these things to a person can't be explained at all. Supposedly everything is chance, including the fact that we exist. Or is it chance when the path of the universe was fixed in the beginning with its own properties of behaviour. Either way, somehow, the universe exists in such a way that there are things in it who care about how the universe exists. It makes my mind spin.
    We contain our own meaning, and view everything that happens to us and around us with the lens of our own perception. This can color what we see in such as way as to make the relevant, useful, and insightful jump out, when we would have overlooked them before. We find what we need when we are open to it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Consider, for instance, miracles. Can't the very idea of them be described essentially as anomaly, and well timed coincidence? When their notability can only be defined by the people that they happen to, Science and Probability have no use for them, but we still do.

These questions go too deep for me, or at least deep enough that I'm not sure I believe there is a textbook answer somewhere at the bottom of the well.

I'm not a huge fan as seeing God primarily as a parental figure, but love also comes in the form of being confined to your room, having your car taken away, or just letting you for once reap your own consequences. You don't recognize that kind of love until you realize, or at least trust in its goal. Anyway, I'm not Christian, as you know, but I believe there is a goal, i.e. hope.
    This is mainly what I think, what I've highlighted, although I like to make conversation on it and find out peoples practical opinions, even if they dont provide the last word on the topic by any means.

I dont really think of God as a parent either, although I'm not sure I believe that God is any of the other things either, I've heard and read mystics describe God as a lover or friend but those are human relationships, although in discussing anything like for instance love its only natural to use some comparative or reference point.

Whether its God or parents most of the time they will not be able to mitigate or prevent harm caused by the natural consequences of personal choices, words or deeds.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    This is why it is ultimately a leap of faith. I really don't understand the desire to nitpick what other people believe or how they believe things.
    Which is similar to other relationships. Can it ever be evidenced sufficiently that significant others love or relate to you if you fundamentally doubt that they do?

I actually think that the decline of faith, devotion and religion in our age has its parallels in the decline of trust, independence and healthy relating to others, both are consequent of changes in attachment styles among children and adults and the impact of seperation anxieties earlier and earlier in life, sometimes with traumatic effect.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Is it not more appropriate to keep one's experiences with God to self?
    I believe I read it somewhere.
    I think it is sacrifices or penitence, at least it says so in the bible, Jesus says that if people do this for the reward of public recognition and receive that then they have received their reward and to expect nothing from God.

The sharing of mutually held beliefs in God and Jesus are encouraged in the bible and early traditions of the Christian church.

MBTI
    xNxx

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post

Awakened became and born unto thee
    Kiss'd divine in Heaven a priori
    Soul joins body in earthly home
    His respite always there, though I might be gone.

Glorious Days! oh deity fine
    Whimsical mine eyes rest on thine
    Spirit in Heaven and Body Christ
    He protects me now, though I sin forever and thriced.

In the black of night existential knowing
    Only illuminated by golden lunar glowing
    Who will grant me respite in this lengthy life
    Oh Great One lends strength, through my times of strife.

As I go about my worldly ways
    Self-centered and wicked in perpetual stays
    I seek what lacks, never fulfilled
    While God gives me Love, real contentment instilled.
    Amazing!

Did you write this or is it a quote? I Googled it but found nothing.

I feel God's love whenever I reflect on the Gospel, the Good News that through the person and work of Jesus Christ, his perfect life, death, and resurrection, God fully accomplishes salvation for us, rescuing us from judgment for sin into fellowship with him, and then restores the creation in which we can enjoy our new life together with him forever!

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry
    I think non-believers, while they can be very logical and loving people, seem to lack something that believers have; an open-minded soulfulness. Or something...
    I've heard this sediment among believers toward me time and again over the past decade or so since I deconverted and I really don't know how to respond to this as it seems like it's both a benign observation and at the same time an incredibly dismissive attitude. It's as if in response to all the soul searching that I've done over the years is being ignored or overlooked and that the reason that I'm not "seeing" what believers are seeing is because I'm just not putting my shoulder into it.

Anywho, to respond to the OP, much like Lark I've had points of time in my life in which it felt like I was being steered or guided to some decision or event. Even today I'll have moments where I'm struggling with something and a song or tv shoe will come on and someone will saying something very prudent to whatever it is I'm struggling with and I'll think, "Wow, I really needed to hear/see/experience that, that really helped me"

Is it chance that these things happened? Hell if I know, I'm glad they happened all the same
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Which is similar to other relationships. Can it ever be evidenced sufficiently that significant others love or relate to you if you fundamentally doubt that they do?
    I actually think that the decline of faith, devotion and religion in our age has its parallels in the decline of trust, independence and healthy relating to others, both are consequent of changes in attachment styles among children and adults and the impact of seperation anxieties earlier and earlier in life, sometimes with traumatic effect.

plain english, please. i don't understand what you are getting at with the bold.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    We contain our own meaning, and view everything that happens to us and around us with the lens of our own perception. This can color what we see in such as way as to make the relevant, useful, and insightful jump out, when we would have overlooked them before. We find what we need when we are open to it.
    I like your post in general, and I used to say things like this before I really believed in God again. But,

I don't often find what I think I need and I am very open.

I reconcile this by believing that what I think I need is different than what God thinks I need.

?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This is mainly what I think, what I've highlighted, although I like to make conversation on it and find out peoples practical opinions, even if they dont provide the last word on the topic by any means.

I dont really think of God as a parent either, although I'm not sure I believe that God is any of the other things either, I've heard and read mystics describe God as a lover or friend but those are human relationships, although in discussing anything like for instance love its only natural to use some comparative or reference point.

Whether its God or parents most of the time they will not be able to mitigate or prevent harm caused by the natural consequences of personal choices, words or deeds.
    It seems oddly incestuous almost, doesn't it, to think of God as a lover? But isn't he all things to all people, including lover, parent, friend? And shouldn't romantic love ideally be akin to divine love in that it transcends what we've come to think about as 'romantic love' in our everyday lives; with it's intoxicating blend of eroticism, excitement, infatuation, and competition? If no one else can give me what I need, it is not a far leap for me to consider God as my lover as well as my Divine Guide, as weird as that sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    I've heard this sediment among believers toward me time and again over the past decade or so since I deconverted and I really don't know how to respond to this as it seems like it's both a benign observation and at the same time an incredibly dismissive attitude. It's as if in response to all the soul searching that I've done over the years is being ignored or overlooked and that the reason that I'm not "seeing" what believers are seeing is because I'm just not putting my shoulder into it.

Anywho, to respond to the OP, much like Lark I've had points of time in my life in which it felt like I was being steered or guided to some decision or event. Even today I'll have moments where I'm struggling with something and a song or tv shoe will come on and someone will saying something very prudent to whatever it is I'm struggling with and I'll think, "Wow, I really needed to hear/see/experience that, that really helped me"

Is it chance that these things happened? Hell if I know, I'm glad they happened all the same
    I meant no offense...I'm thinking more of intellectual scientist types; those that think there is a Theory of Everything sans God.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com