User Tag List

123 Last

Default In relationships.....

Aight so in a relationship, would it matter if the girl is academically smarter than the guy?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

No, unless the difference is enormous
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Illmatic View Post
    Aight so in a relationship, would it matter if the girl is academically smarter than the guy?
    Are you referring to a) IQ level;
    b) an indefinite measure of intelligence;
    c) actual academic qualifications, as in a PhD versus a Masters, or a BA versus high school only?

If c), I think a lot of guys find that intimidating. I think I've kind of run up against that scenario (or at least it was a factor), possibly even more than once. And I only have a BA.

As sad as it is, it makes me think that I should seriously just look at "dating up" or at least "dating sideways", rather than "dating down". I had absolutely no problem in principle with "dating down" until recently (in terms of education levels and social class), but I've been forced to rethink that.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Maybe BA(female) vs no high school(male) counts more than PhD(female) vs BA(male). Thinking about it I do have a friend that hasn't finished high school and it seemed like he felt bad/inferior when his now ex girlfriend graduated from her MSc...

I think my own girlfriend was better at school than me, at least, we ended up with the same final grades (more or less the max) but she had straight As all the time while I was a bit less perfectionistic / school smart.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Maybe BA(female) vs no high school(male) counts more than PhD(female) vs BA(male). Thinking about it I do have a friend that hasn't finished high school and it seemed like he felt bad/inferior when his now ex girlfriend graduated from her MSc...
    I was most recently interested in a guy who hadn't finished high school. We didn't officially date but I think we came close. Given that he teased me unnecessarily for being "middle class" (he's definitely "working class"), etc, I wondered. Though the "class" thing came up more than education specifically. You can tell though when people are insecure about something by the way they bring it up and the frequency.

I can definitely think of couples where the woman is unquestionably smarter than the man (I mean, there would be universal consensus over this.) But if they both have a similar level of education it would sort of be less noticeable, I guess.

I'm sure there are also lots of guys who would be absolutely fine with this kind of disparity, but some seem to see it as intimidating or a threat.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I used to think level of education was important to me. But I don't really feel that way anymore. Intelligence turns me on. I think what I was really subconsciously going for was that higher educational level likely meant higher intelligence and an interest in learning. So, personally, I think it probably varies from person to person, the kinds of intelligence a person finds attractive in a partner, as there are different kinds of intelligence.

I desire someone of higher intelligence to me regarding spatial, mathematical, linguistic, and possibly interpersonal. Since I am better with intrapersonal, kinesthetic, naturalistic, and existential kinds of intelligence, I think what I find most attractive is someone whose intelligence complements mine, in areas I lack.

EDIT: Ultimately, when I click intensely with someone, my intuition is telling me that they are just what I need, in most every way.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Not intrinsically, it's more dependent on the dispositions of those in the relationship to the existence of the divide.

I don't want to be smarter or dumber ok?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Riva

I would not mind.
    I prefer clever girls over qualified ones. But that's hardly a contribution to the thread.

Qualified, higher IQ, smarter or more intelligent do not bother me as long as I manage to put a smile on her face, she wouldn't brag about it and she would enjoy my love making.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    3w8
    Socionics
    SLE Fi

Hermione and Ron seemed to have managed just fine.