User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

So this would pretty much be a subset of the people who believe in following a specific religious doctrine except when it comes down to it they don't really believe in supernatural matters? I bet I've come across some of those before but I can't point fingers for sure.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Sunday Christians?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

My dad is an atheist and is a practicing Jew.

He says the sense of community is the reason. He volunteers for charity and donates tens of thousands of dollars a year to Jewish organizations. I guess it's just an already existing network that has goals aligned with his own.

He also grew up Jewish and is pretty resistant to change in general.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I believe that god is an projection of your unconscious mixed with people trying to rationalize stuff that they cant understand.

I also believe in afterlife, sort of hell and heaven, but i dont think that there is any gods involved. But its an activation of all neurons at the same time after dying.
    http://firstpraxis.wordpress.com/201...new-scientist/

If you think how people perceive time, its basically internal measurement of ones own brain activity and also comparing this to what happens in external world. Now when all of your neurons activate at once and you dont have any external stuff to perceive, this sense of time is lost and it should feel like eternity.

How about the feeling of suddenly realizing everything and gaining all the knowledge when duying(seeing the white light that has all knowledge in that you enter to heaven)? Well, while all neurons activate at once, all info in your brains are combined, this naturally leads to new insight and realizations. This white light can be explained with activation of neurons in visual cortex. While all neurons are activated, this naturally activates all memories, including the ones that you thought you had forgotten. Also this triggers emotional associations involved with those memories, but from every perspective.
    This leads to the "last conviction", its not the god that does the judging, its yourself. But when you see all things from all perspectives, even the most unethical persons will judge themselves from ethical point of view and even the biggest saints will be judged from the perspective that thinks you wasted your life.
    Balance is they key to everything!

I view the religious texts as teachings of life, but the problem with todays version of bible is that it has been edited so much over time that it has lost what the teachings were actually about, philosophy of good life, which ensures good afterlife.

Also the stuff in bible has been modified so much that im sure people who came up with the stuff, would see it as work of the devil.

Think about the stuff like commandment of "dont have other gods". I dont think its about jehova vs osiris, but about listening to your own heart and doing what you think is right, naturally rhis requires your heart being pure.

I could write a book about this, these are just few things in short that came to my mind.

Does this make me a religious atheist?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    I believe that god is an projection of your unconscious mixed with people trying to rationalize stuff that they cant understand.

I also believe in afterlife, sort of hell and heaven, but i dont think that there is any gods involved. But its an activation of all neurons at the same time after dying.
    http://firstpraxis.wordpress.com/201...new-scientist/

If you think how people perceive time, its basically internal measurement of ones own brain activity and also comparing this to what happens in external world. Now when all of your neurons activate at once and you dont have any external stuff to perceive, this sense of time is lost and it should feel like eternity.

How about the feeling of suddenly realizing everything and gaining all the knowledge when duying(seeing the white light that has all knowledge in that you enter to heaven)? Well, while all neurons activate at once, all info in your brains are combined, this naturally leads to new insight and realizations. This white light can be explained with activation of neurons in visual cortex. While all neurons are activated, this naturally activates all memories, including the ones that you thought you had forgotten. Also this triggers emotional associations involved with those memories, but from every perspective.
    This leads to the "last conviction", its not the god that does the judging, its yourself. But when you see all things from all perspectives, even the most unethical persons will judge themselves from ethical point of view and even the biggest saints will be judged from the perspective that thinks you wasted your life.
    Balance is they key to everything!

I view the religious texts as teachings of life, but the problem with todays version of bible is that it has been edited so much over time that it has lost what the teachings were actually about, philosophy of good life, which ensures good afterlife.

Also the stuff in bible has been modified so much that im sure people who came up with the stuff, would see it as work of the devil.

Think about the stuff like commandment of "dont have other gods". I dont think its about jehova vs osiris, but about listening to your own heart and doing what you think is right, naturally rhis requires your heart being pure.

I could write a book about this, these are just few things in short that came to my mind.

Does this make me a religious atheist?
    I think if you read some of Eric Fromm's books or Feurbach's book on the Essence of Christianity I think you'd find the sort of book you'd hope to write.

That "you judge yourself" idea is similar to what Death, ie the grim reaper, tells his apprentice in Terry Pratchett's The Discworld, he tells him there's no justice, just him that people who are self-reproachful can suffer eternal damnation and people who are wickedly arrogant can have undeserved heavenly fates.

The idea that the brain's neurons firing at once would result in a judging process which involves completely objective right and wrong is interesting, that would suggest that there is such a thing, which would be what I believe and I also believe that there is such a thing as a natural conscience patterned on the brain too, with the potential for its development.

This idea of judgement, which as you've describes it seems to exclude a deity entirely, actually accords with a lot of more recent, but nonetheless theist thinking. I dont know if you've heard or read Rob Bell's Love Wins, evangelists hate it but some atheists, religious or not, like it.

Bell's old testament and new testaments deal with early translations, the kingdom of God is instead "the age to come", it is within historical time and equivocal to saying "the hoped for future" and Jesus is often telling people "how will they live in the future?" or that they will be in the "dustbin of history" or on the tip/rubbish heap outside of town (it is a literal place).

He progresses to the new testament in which heaven or the kingdom of God is not simply a future but a place existing outside of time but which will be joined to a heavenly state as previously believed/hoped for and writes about how the bible describes cleansing fires in heaven, that's right in heaven, not as a seperate place, hell, governed by satan.

Bell remains an evangelist in the final instance, for me at least, I know that he's criticised by many of them and has even become a hate figure for them because he attacks some of the conceited and alienating aspects of that movement but I read his material as outreach towards atheists, not an endorsement of worldly humanism.

Likewise the "cleansing fires" idea and ideas about hell being a consequence of self-damnation in thought and deed in this life which streaches into eternity corresponds for me in the RC ideas of purgation and purgatory but those arent ideas that Bell or many of the thinkers like him would concur with.

I've highlighted the bit of your post which I think is important, I think that the human mind does indeed behave that way and that mankind can mistake many things for God but I dont believe that this is the whole story, that is reductive in my view, not everything which objectively exists is a construct from the human mind, for instance gravitation and an ordered universe exist independently of comprehension or understand or appreciation of them.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Religion is a box and Spirituality is a Ceiling as wide as the heavens and the earths, to be limited in the mind is to stay in the box. One needs to go 'out of your mind', outside the box of your mind towards a place of no mind, Samadhi and beyond. When you explore a place of no mind then spiritual growth and conscious expansion are certain, for a place of no mind is indescribable, the human mind is incapable of processing the information.

The near realms and dimensions are creations of the mind, anything outside the mind is indescribable and no longer an illusion of the mind. Since the near realms and dimensions are of the mind and where spirits dwell after life lost, this is where heaven and hell are created and hence illusions of the mind, this is where most channels come from, this is where anything and everything goes. When you go beyond the beyond the beyond dose one start to release the prejudiced beliefs and views that hold many atheists and spiritual atheists alike in their boxes and ceilings, this includes mediums. The mind plays head games, when you die and go to the near realms and dimensions the mind continues to play head games until such a time you are in no mind.

And hence Religious people are atheists.

Because not only does one believe in a source outside of themselves rather than inside but very few seem to be able to understand the place of no mind.