User Tag List

123 Last

Default College/University and self education...

can someone who self educates themselves gain the same knowledge as someone who learns by themselves with no professors or any of that?

I was planning on doing criminology but then if i do that, i can't do psychology..i was hoping that i can learn psychology by myself in my free time by reading books and such......can i be as knowledgeable as a college grad?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

You can be but you will have no proof of that education. I think obtaining employment would be next to impossible, not to mention you would need some sort of licensing. Why can't you do psychology too?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Illmatic View Post
    can someone who self educates themselves gain the same knowledge as someone who learns by themselves with no professors or any of that?
    Can an autodidact learn as much as... an autodidact? Yes, certainly.

I was planning on doing criminology but then if i do that, i can't do psychology..i was hoping that i can learn psychology by myself in my free time by reading books and such......can i be as knowledgeable as a college grad?
    Yes, today more than ever. You can ask which books are read at Harvard and read the same, you can ask questions and talk to like-minded people on the internet. It just takes more determination to do it by yourself than to sit down and just listen.

Glycerine

Aren't there some cross- department classes?

NPcomplete

Can you audit classes?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

@ the OP: Yes, you can probably learn as much, but as ceecee points out, you will have no official credentials. With the increasing emphasis on certification over qualification, you may be stuck trying to apply your knowledge outside of your personal life.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Smile The Intellectual Life and the Spiritual Life

The intellectual life has a life of its own. It has its own excitement, even its own intoxication.

It's not about being knowledgable, it is about pursuing the unknown.

Very few of us want to pursue the unknown, rather we prefer to manipulate and control the known.

And of course the institutions take advantage of us and sell us knowledge.

And unfortunately the selling of knowledge, like the selling of the spiritual, is called the sin of simony.

And indeed the intellectual life is like the spiritual life in that it requires an inner impulse, discipline and a sense of wonder.

yes you can and a lot of people do it.

and if money (around $3000) isn't a problem check out: http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/
    it's an excellent programme offered by world class schools (LSE, SOAS etc.,)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Can an autodidact learn as much as... an autodidact? Yes, certainly.

Yes, today more than ever. You can ask which books are read at Harvard and read the same, you can ask questions and talk to like-minded people on the internet. It just takes more determination to do it by yourself than to sit down and just listen.
    course outlines are a plenty on the internet
    even lectures are available online
    checkout itunes u: http://www.apple.com/education/itunes-u/
    harvard, stanford, yale -- they're all there on itunes u

i'm always listening in to lectures.
    they're wonderful. some of the teachers are just so fantastic.

and i looooove MIT's opencourses: http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Knowledge Capital

Of course we may want to be knowledge capitalists. So then it is wise to attend a college of knowledge, and there each course will increase our knowledge capital until finally it can be converted into a convertable currency called a degree.

But still we are dealing with sin. The sin of lending money for interest is called usury, and the sin of selling the spriritual is called simony. And the sin of selling knowledge is a combination of the sins of usury and simony.

But with very few exceptions the selling of knowledge is a ponzi scheme, a pyramid scheme - it only works if new buyers can be brought in continuely at the bottom of the pyramid.

And that is what the education system is for - it is to bring in new recuits at the bottom of the pyramid of knowledge. For education is free, secular and compulsory. Yes, we are compelled by State Law to attend this ponzi scheme of knowledge. And notice the hook - it's 'free' - and how we love anything free.

But whereas it is useful to have primary schools to teach us to read and write, all the rest are unnecessary, for today we learn to use the telephone, television, the radio, the computer and the ipod, all without any compulsion, and all without going to school.

The truth is knowledge capitalism is experiencing diminishing returns, graduates are finding themselves unemployed across the Middle East, throughout Europe and increasingly in the United States.

And today we see them out on the streets demanding change. Or are they just demanding more of the same? Have we become addicted to the accumulation of knowledge capital?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

The real problems are:

1) time: if you work full-time, there might be relatively little energy left for erudition. You might still become quite good and knowledgeable, but it's hard to catch up with real experts that are able to devote hours and hours a day to the matter at hand.
    2) interaction: sometimes your understanding might be missing something crucial, that's easy to spot when you can argue with someone about the issue, but not so easy if you're completely self-taugth.

Said that, even if other people have a starting advantage, a combination of intellect and passion can easily surmont problem 1). For problem 2), well, internet forums might be a useful tool.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp