• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

College/University and self education...

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
forgive me if im wrong.....

but intelligence is genetically inherited right?

There is heritability associated with intelligence but there are numerous variables and outliers abound.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
can someone who self educates themselves gain the same knowledge as someone who learns by themselves with no professors or any of that?

I was planning on doing criminology but then if i do that, i can't do psychology..i was hoping that i can learn psychology by myself in my free time by reading books and such......can i be as knowledgeable as a college grad?

A degree is not a measure of learning.
Any curriculum slows you down.

Be warned.
Institutions prefer a degree to learning.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The answer to your question depends on how you define education. I would think that to be educated means to have a broad background of knowledge and to be able to think critically. In principle, it is possible for someone to achieve "education" on their own endeavor. However, effective instructors could facilitate that or make it a little easier. Nonetheless, I am very far from saying you'd be more likely to be educated if you pursue the path of formal schooling. Much of academia pressures students to make the grade by all means necessary, that undermines an intrinsic motivation for learning. Additionally, a great deal of assignments do not promote learning and students have every incentive to do well on their assignments without learning much. Schooling could help you get educated, but it can also corrupt you. Which outcome you end up with will be up to you. But the straight forward answer to your question is that no, you don't need schooling to get educated. Nonetheless, that by itself can't inform your decision to receive schooling or not to do that.