User Tag List

First 123 Last

forgive me if im wrong.....

but intelligence is genetically inherited right?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Learning by yourself is almost always better than learning in the classroom. The sense of intrigue and, as @Victor says, wonder at finding out new things drives you both to learn and retain more than if you simply subjected yourself to the tutelage of other people. It's active v.s. passive learning. Free v.s. coerced.

The need to have a ribbon showing that you've studied something at a university (for prestige, to be taken seriously, to be employed) is one of the worst kinds of coercion. And coercion has a tendency to kill intellectual curiosity.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by Illmatic View Post
    Only partially.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    infj

I have the same plans actually. I want to take up my master's degree in engineering but I am not contented with what I am learning in my college so I am planning to spend most of my free time in the libraries studying subjects that interest me. I am just going to have my masters in engineering because I don't have enough financial resources to support my studies and it is easier to obtain a scholarship in the engineering field. But I love studying psychology, finance, philosophy and history.

I think knowledge in every field is very important even if it would not benefit us financially in the short term basis. If our goal is to get a good job with high salary, the best option is to focus on our respective fields. But if we really want to make a difference in the long run, knowledge in every field is essential.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Learning by yourself is almost always better than learning in the classroom. The sense of intrigue and, as @Victor says, wonder at finding out new things drives you both to learn and retain more than if you simply subjected yourself to the tutelage of other people. It's active v.s. passive learning. Free v.s. coerced.

The need to have a ribbon showing that you've studied something at a university (for prestige, to be taken seriously, to be employed) is one of the worst kinds of coercion. And coercion has a tendency to kill intellectual curiosity.
    What about the human interaction element? Perhaps it's more significant for extraverts, don't know...
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    What about the human interaction element? Perhaps it's more significant for extraverts, don't know...
    I just mean learning in a self-directed way, not necessarily learning alone. Of course, other people are one of the benefits of class structure (though not always, especially when the vast majority of other students just want the credits/grade and don't give a shit about the subject), but that can be remedied by a sufficiently motivated self-learner. It's more difficult, though, so you're right in that respect.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

That depends on how you define education.

On one hand, with have the job education that a university provides in most degrees.

On the other hand, we have the philosophical and worldly education that must be self sought.

While general education and breath requirements do offer a tiny amount of broad education,
    they are more or less a springboard for personal interest to arise in different areas of the world.

Now, in relation to a job, that depends on the career/job path. Some jobs require a degree/government stamped certification, some don't.

Some jobs have a status quo for needing a degree, and for most employers they may require it.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes, I think so. I've always been rather self-directed in my learning so this would be no problem for me. Actually it would be preferable to going to classes. I like being able to learn at my own pace. In some cases, I think it wouldn't work as well. If you are doing something more practical and hands-on, its helpful to have an instructor who can watch you and give you feedback as to whether you are doing the techniques right. I know I'm kind of retarded at the physical hands-on stuff, so I would definitely appreciate in-person feedback. But for subject areas that are more reading and thinking focused, I would much prefer to do it on my own.

Then you have the reality that you have to get a degree to be able to do many jobs. So you do have to take the courses under a professor, whether or not that's your preference. I wish that degrees didn't always carry so much weight. If a person has the knowledge and skills to do a job that should matter more than a piece of paper. But that's for another thread.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Sniffles

I was planning on doing criminology but then if i do that, i can't do psychology..i was hoping that i can learn psychology by myself in my free time by reading books and such......can i be as knowledgeable as a college grad?
    I don't see why you can't study both, since both fields interrelate to one another. At the very least a Criminology degree would require taking psychology courses.

Ginkgo

Not quite but genetics plays a role.