User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default How would you go about finding real truth?

Say you wanted to know what is really truth - not just you defending your current world view, but truly understanding what is real. Where would you start your search? What would you consider to be valid or not valid sources of information?

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Are we talking highly likely truth or the presumption of absolute truth based on justification?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Plato's theory of forms.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Start with the willingness to be absolutely wrong about everything you've ever known.

All Natural! All Good!

One would need to look at knowledge that is intrinsic and not dependent on the environment. The 5 senses are fallible because we could be brains in vats.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

Permabanned

No "source" of information will give you the "real truth"..simply because truth needn't be "justified"..it is, rather, discovered. I guess the answer, then, would be to not "look" for truth..but "find" it.

How can you "find" what you aren't "looking" for?

You can't..but people do everyday.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Jiddu Krishnamurti.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Start with the willingness to be absolutely wrong about everything you've ever known.
    + 1

I like to do it by getting into discussions with people who disagree with me, so I can get a better understanding of their perspective, and check if I'm ignoring or missing anything important.

Often it's a matter of different value priorities, but I still learn something in the process. However, the problem with this method is that most people tend to be very emotional about their viewpoints, so it can make people upset. Also, a lot of people aren't willing to be wrong, so why would they believe that I'm willing to be wrong? The general expectation is that it will become a debate. But even in debates where people are trying to prove themselves right, there is still a lot of opportunity for learning. And even if the people debating aren't willing to learn anything new, it might sink in anyway, and it still presents new information to the people observing the debate. That's one of the reasons why I like serious discussions on these forums.

PS - Also, wikipedia is a great place to start, but be aware that even it can be biased. (I so wish wikipedia had been around when I was in high school and starving to learn new things, but too lazy to go to the library and look them up.)

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    PS - Also, wikipedia is a great place to start, but be aware that even it can be biased. (I so wish wikipedia had been around when I was in high school and starving to learn new things, but too lazy to go to the library and look them up.)
    You just get too lazy to go to wikipedia and read an article. Instead you go onto forums and talk out of your ass for awhile until you absorb enough information to not be an idiot. Things don't change..they adapt.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Mkenya View Post
    You just get too lazy to go to wikipedia and read an article. Instead you go onto forums and talk out of your ass for awhile until you absorb enough information to not be an idiot. Things don't change..they adapt.
    Well yeah, that happens sometimes, too. But at least wikipedia is a lot easier than having to go to the library and get a fn encyclopedia, which may or may not have the info you're looking for.

I the internet.