• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How would you go about finding real truth?

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Say you wanted to know what is really truth - not just you defending your current world view, but truly understanding what is real. Where would you start your search? What would you consider to be valid or not valid sources of information?

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Are we talking highly likely truth or the presumption of absolute truth based on justification?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Start with the willingness to be absolutely wrong about everything you've ever known.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
One would need to look at knowledge that is intrinsic and not dependent on the environment. The 5 senses are fallible because we could be brains in vats.

xisnotx

Permabanned
No "source" of information will give you the "real truth"..simply because truth needn't be "justified"..it is, rather, discovered. I guess the answer, then, would be to not "look" for truth..but "find" it.

How can you "find" what you aren't "looking" for?

You can't..but people do everyday.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Start with the willingness to be absolutely wrong about everything you've ever known.

+ 1

I like to do it by getting into discussions with people who disagree with me, so I can get a better understanding of their perspective, and check if I'm ignoring or missing anything important.

Often it's a matter of different value priorities, but I still learn something in the process. However, the problem with this method is that most people tend to be very emotional about their viewpoints, so it can make people upset. Also, a lot of people aren't willing to be wrong, so why would they believe that I'm willing to be wrong? The general expectation is that it will become a debate. But even in debates where people are trying to prove themselves right, there is still a lot of opportunity for learning. And even if the people debating aren't willing to learn anything new, it might sink in anyway, and it still presents new information to the people observing the debate. That's one of the reasons why I like serious discussions on these forums.

PS - Also, wikipedia is a great place to start, but be aware that even it can be biased. (I so wish wikipedia had been around when I was in high school and starving to learn new things, but too lazy to go to the library and look them up.)

xisnotx

Permabanned
PS - Also, wikipedia is a great place to start, but be aware that even it can be biased. (I so wish wikipedia had been around when I was in high school and starving to learn new things, but too lazy to go to the library and look them up.)

You just get too lazy to go to wikipedia and read an article. Instead you go onto forums and talk out of your ass for awhile until you absorb enough information to not be an idiot. Things don't change..they adapt.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
You just get too lazy to go to wikipedia and read an article. Instead you go onto forums and talk out of your ass for awhile until you absorb enough information to not be an idiot. Things don't change..they adapt.

:laugh: Well yeah, that happens sometimes, too. But at least wikipedia is a lot easier than having to go to the library and get a fn encyclopedia, which may or may not have the info you're looking for.

I :heart: the internet.

Undeclared

MBTI Type
INTp
The only truth easily comprehensible to us is the present. Right now as you are reading this your experiencing what is happening. That is truth is it not? Maybe your just over-thinking what truth actually is...

gromit

likes this
I would say watch, listen, and interact, taking in what you learn. Refine your understanding, which is related to what [MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION] says about being open to being wrong.

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
Where to start? Now that's a difficult question.

I'd like to say that one should start without any presuppositions, realizing that one could be wrong about everything, but one has to start somewhere. Without presuppositions there is no starting point. Even in purely concrete subjects like math there are postulates. To get anywhere, we do have to assume a few things: first off, that human logic at its purest form has some form of inherent correctness, and secondly that our experiences are based on some form or reality around us, even if they aren't always accurate. Once one gets somewhere with these "postulates", then the extent to which these work out confirms their truthfulness, thought I guess one should be ready to accept these being wrong.

I'd also like to point out that if a certain worldview comes without consequences for disbelief, I probably wouldn't bother looking into it much. I guess this is a utilitarian view and sort of an extended version of Pascal's argument, but whatever.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Where to start? Now that's a difficult question.

I'd like to say that one should start without any presuppositions, realizing that one could be wrong about everything, but one has to start somewhere. Without presuppositions there is no starting point. Even in purely concrete subjects like math there are postulates. To get anywhere, we do have to assume a few things: first off, that human logic at its purest form has some form of inherent correctness, and secondly that our experiences are based on some form or reality around us, even if they aren't always accurate. Once one gets somewhere with these "postulates", then the extent to which these work out confirms their truthfulness, thought I guess one should be ready to accept these being wrong.

I'd also like to point out that if a certain worldview comes without consequences for disbelief, I probably wouldn't bother looking into it much. I guess this is a utilitarian view and sort of an extended version of Pascal's argument, but whatever.

I disagree here. I think any postulates you should start with should be personal. These postulates are somewhat NT flavoured. The first truth is internal, recognizing what you need out of life.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Which truth are we talking about? There are many truths.

rav3n

What is "really" true? Quite frankly, I'm beginning to seriously doubt if there are absolute truths so I rely on what appears to be logically consistent. Even then, it's still open to greater logical consistencies.

As an example, CERN's recent challenge to the theory of relativity. Let's see if the results can be reproduced. Go neutrinos, go!

wolfy

awsm
Say you wanted to know what is really truth - not just you defending your current world view, but truly understanding what is real. Where would you start your search? What would you consider to be valid or not valid sources of information?

I think you'd start by looking at your world view. It seems a lot of things depend on meeting some result you've decided is valid and worthwhile. I'd consider myself the best source of information on that.

Then in other more practical areas it would be a matter of testing ideas out in reality. Do they work.

I can't think about the idea without thinking about time, you only have so much time so what truths are important to you?