• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What reality are you afraid of?

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
What reality (different from your current world view) would really scare you if it were the truth?

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
For me, it would be that the universe was truly random and not meaningful.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That I discover that I truly am meant to be alone for the rest of my life.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm afraid of the reality of Sierra Leone, North Korea and the worst of Detroit and places like that. Those people's realities scare me.

Idealatious

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
91?
This reality is freaky enough; even worse for some people. I'm not sure that I want to imagine even worse realities...

A reality in which our thoughts are regulated directly, even more than they are now indirectly through society.

A reality in which there is no concept of a better future, no concept that we can make things better, no concept that bad things should be changed.

A reality in which it is impossible to get past small talk; that's all that comes out of people's mouths. aaaaaaaa get me out

shoshana

MBTI Type
eNTJ
Instinctual Variant
so
I believe randomness is somewhat beautiful in terms of the universe and how it functions--it only reminds me that it is up to the individual to find meaning in his or her life.

I fear a reality in which I have no memories or self identity.
I fear a reality in which my loved ones and i are physically and/or mentally oppressed because of who they are, and the ideals they have.
I fear a reality in which I can no longer find beauty, fresh water, Or clarity in my surroundings.

wolfy

awsm
The reality where everything was unwoven an exposed an alternate reality. In other words, that which you cared about was a lie.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I fear...

...a reality where my existence is not only unwarranted or bothersome, but actively hurtful towards others.

...a reality where I have no self, no will, only a fatalistic, ghostly emptiness.

...a reality where everything is out of my control and my efforts to do anything useful or memorable are laughable.

...a reality where I am truly unable to connect with anyone.

...a reality where my bookshelf burns to ashes - Oh, the horror! :aquiver:

...a reality where I am unlovable and deserve unhappiness.

This is kind of theoretical, though - my life is pretty cozy, if lonely, right now. I'm not poor or unhealthy, so I guess I have nothing to really complain about. :shrug:

Idealatious

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
91?
I fear a reality in which I have no memories or self identity.

My grandmother has Alzheimer's, and I wonder how I could be happy, not recognizing my friends and family, being dependent on others just to get by. Having certain kinds of brain damage would be worse. Anterograde amnesia sounds horrifying; you could never live in the future, you would never retain any insights, and any time the conversation changed, you would have to go with it and live firmly stuck in the present always. I think this would remove one's cohesive sense of identity. This fear is so much worse because it doesn't feel so removed from my situation.

That I discover that I truly am meant to be alone for the rest of my life.

I find it interesting that a lot of people so far relate to this. Including me. But what if... what if we could find happiness despite being alone? Happiness in being alone? We aren't really as alone as we think we are, after all. Are people really the answer? Are relationships really the answer? Part of me screams yes, the other no.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find it interesting that a lot of people so far relate to this. Including me. But what if... what if we could find happiness despite being alone? Happiness in being alone? We aren't really as alone as we think we are, after all. Are people really the answer? Are relationships really the answer? Part of me screams yes, the other no.

I think I understand what it is you are saying here and I'd like, if I may, to clarify my statement and my perspective.

For the record, I am single now and have been for the better part of 8 years. I am happy with myself and my life, I love waking up every morning, and while I do sometimes wish I could be better at somethings sometimes, I am overall very happy with being me.

But, as I said, I have been single for some time now and I've often struggled with isolation and bouts of loneliness. I'm almost 30 and, looking around and seeing all my peers mostly being married and having children, I have to admit to feeling a little like I'm standing still, like I'm somehow a defective or mismanaged adult. I have friends, close friends even, but I don't have the level of intimacy with anyone that I'd like to have and I've been learning to just deal with it.

I know this feeling is completely silly and irrational but I just wonder sometimes if my lot in life is that of the solitary adult. Which if it HAD to be, like if I had some incurable disease or something like that which I could transmit to my partner, then I could adjust and manage and I would be fine.

Now do I believe I will be alone forever? Not at all. I think I have a lot to offer a potential mate and I simply haven't met someone whose looking for my specific qualities so in the meantime I'm out there living life - pursuing my passions and my interests, trying to better my career, and enjoying my day to day and I know that eventually whomever the hell it is I'm supposed to wind up with will stumble along my path.

and I'm cool with it.....or at least 99.9% cool with it. There is this small, gnawing insecurity that maybe it's always going to be this way. I just kind of wish I knew for certain, you know?

It's the reality (getting back to the OP now) that it'll never happen that I fear the most. It was that reality that I was living in when I went through my depression and I don't want to go back there again.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

What reality (different from your current world view) would really scare you if it were the truth?

I suppose... My question is... Do I get a choice in this change? Or is it simply a different way at looking at the world? Are we saying this change occurs, or if simply that possibility existed... Either way if my view was wrong and someone else's views were correct sure I'd be disappointed in myself for not recognizing this, but at that point there isn't much I could do but accept and mold to the situation.