• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Bible

I interpret it to be

• completely literal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mostly literal, with some parables/metaphors

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • mostly parables/metaphors with historical fact

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • complete nonsense

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • other

Votes: 9 20.0%

• Total voters

Lark

I voted nonsense. Sorry, but I've only ever been able to find comedic value in the Bible and not much else. And it seems so unimportant to me in the scheme of things that scholarly inquiry into it can be nothing but a useless, arcane bore. It can only incidentally have value to other areas of study, and seems not to be worth much else on its own.

Those bastards with their message to love others as thyself. It nearly makes it seem like a good thing that they bleed the nazarene, tortured and killed for boring people wiht his unimportant, incidentially valuable nonsense. A barrel of laughs though.

S

Sniffles

Okay, Jack is only partly responsible- you contributed. Though I wouldn't have created the thread if not for Jack. The tools you gave me, [MENTION=4212]Peguy[/MENTION], allowed me to articulate what I was thinking :)

I contributed? Oh dear - the forum isn't going to be happy about this.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I contributed? Oh dear - the forum isn't going to be happy about this.

:hug:

I'll defend you. This isn't the first thread I have posted that has spun out of control (and with Lark in it, for that matter) ;)

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How much have you read? Not all of it, I think, was intended to be sacred. Some of it is no different than other ancient nationalistic stories in the region. Stories of leaders especially. We don't completely write those off either, despite them being wrapped up in myth. We wouldn't know anything about Egypt if we had that kind of reaction to the way they presented themselves. But there's always some way to glean some truths, to at least tell that some event could have happened.. or at the very least, tell what the geography and political climate might have been like.
To be honest, not much. But I was kinda forced to take catechism classes when I was a teenager, so I had to read a fairly ammount of pages. I agree that there may be some historical value if someone digs deep enough to separate the wheat from the cockle, but since it wasn't meant for informative purposes even this historical info is very suspect.

Lark

I cant believe the manner in which the bible is dissed, seriously, surely its worthy of even the begrudging or conflicted respect which are given to foundation texts of western civilisation, even in that movie The Believer, the self-hating Jew turned Neo-Nazi thug is able to respect the Torah that is vandalised in their attack on a synagogue in that manner.

When I grew up every other old movie shown on TV was a bible epic, excluding the nativity and crucifixion movies there was still The Robe, which featured converts to Christianity and one of the disciples, Barrabus, which was screened recently on the ROI's main broadcast network, Ben Hur has an element of Christianity in it if I'm not mistaken, there's also other films like The Ten Commandments, and plenty of others which I'm sure I'm not recalling right now.

All of those movies and the stories which inspired them are precious vehicles for values and norms, including all the damn things liberals, progressives and other usual suspects for hating on the bible are supposed to hold dear such as emancipation, liberation, equality, justice, reciprocity, mutual aid, respect etc. etc. There's a massive heritage and legacy which is being squandered, disowned, disguarded and entirely without any alternative what so ever to fill the void nearly as effectively.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:peepwall:

[MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION], you should be a priest. Or something equally as intense. Or become a pope.

Lark

:hug:

I'll defend you. This isn't the first thread I have posted that has spun out of control (and with Lark in it, for that matter) ;)

I'M GETTING TO BOILING POINT AND AS AN ENTJ I CANT HANDLE MY DAMN FEELINGS SO I'M GOING TO HAVE TO EXECUTE EVERY MOTHERF**KING ONE OF YOU!! :laugh: :laugh:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Really? I mean really and truly? You believe that there's things sacred in contemporary society? Things which arent questioned?
I mean the general population. Like 95%. The sacred part was irony, but it is how these 95% view it anyways.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'M GETTING TO BOILING POINT AND AS AN ENTJ I CANT HANDLE MY DAMN FEELINGS SO I'M GOING TO HAVE TO EXECUTE EVERY MOTHERF**KING ONE OF YOU!! :laugh: :laugh:

Well now that Lark the volatile ENTJ is in here Don Quixote style, everyone RUN RUN FOR COVER!!!

Lark

:peepwall:

Lark, you should be a priest. Or something equally as intense. Or become a pope.

In all seriousness I could be a crusader, if the whole idea hadnt been ruined so badly by nazi nut cases who imagine they are Templers, as it is I'll play a much more modest warrior-scholar online.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In all seriousness I could be a crusader, if the whole idea hadnt been ruined so badly by nazi nut cases who imagine they are Templers, as it is I'll play a much more modest warrior-scholar online.

..........................................................................................................................

You are an interesting fellow.

Cheerio and carry on!

Lark

I mean the general population. Like 95%. The sacred part was irony, but it is how these 95% view it anyways.

95% of the population view the bible as sacred and dont question it? Where are you living? Strike that when are you living?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I voted this: "mostly parables/metaphors with historical fact", which is the only option scientifically proven. Amusing.

Lark

..........................................................................................................................

You are an interesting fellow.

Cheerio and carry on!

I'm joking, I'm only just realising that this thread was a joke in the last couple of posts. I take threads seriously when 99.9% of the time they are intended as fluffy conversations.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I voted this: "mostly parables/metaphors with historical fact", which is the only option scientifically proven. Amusing.

Scientific or not, I was curious in what people believed.

Though I forgot to put down 'unsure' but whatever.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm joking, I'm only just realising that this thread was a joke in the last couple of posts. I take threads seriously when 99.9% of the time they are intended as fluffy conversations.

Hey, this wasn't a fluff thread!

Why does everyone think what I post are fluffy threads!?!

Lark

Well now that Lark the volatile ENTJ is in here Don Quixote style, everyone RUN RUN FOR COVER!!!

Peguy had the honour of being Quixote, I think his avatar was Quixote for a while, I absolutely love that book BTW. I remember when I was finally able to read and appreciate it. It was one of few books which when I finished it felt like burying a dead friend. I had to mourn its passage.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Scientific or not, I was curious in what people believed.

Though I forgot to put down 'unsure' but whatever.

Oh.. no it's an interesting poll. I thought the 'complete nonsense' option, and the fact that it was picked was amusing.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh.. no it's an interesting poll. I thought the 'complete nonsense' option, and the fact that it was picked was amusing.

It is very amusing that people picked it.

I think the forum is like that though, its sort of inverse alchemy, turning gold into lead.

Hmm are you sure you aren't an Fi dom? :cheese: