First 12345 Last

Thread: The Bible

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I voted nonsense. Sorry, but I've only ever been able to find comedic value in the Bible and not much else. And it seems so unimportant to me in the scheme of things that scholarly inquiry into it can be nothing but a useless, arcane bore. It can only incidentally have value to other areas of study, and seems not to be worth much else on its own.
    Those bastards with their message to love others as thyself. It nearly makes it seem like a good thing that they bleed the nazarene, tortured and killed for boring people wiht his unimportant, incidentially valuable nonsense. A barrel of laughs though.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Okay, Jack is only partly responsible- you contributed. Though I wouldn't have created the thread if not for Jack. The tools you gave me, @Peguy, allowed me to articulate what I was thinking
    I contributed? Oh dear - the forum isn't going to be happy about this.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I contributed? Oh dear - the forum isn't going to be happy about this.

I'll defend you. This isn't the first thread I have posted that has spun out of control (and with Lark in it, for that matter)
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    How much have you read? Not all of it, I think, was intended to be sacred. Some of it is no different than other ancient nationalistic stories in the region. Stories of leaders especially. We don't completely write those off either, despite them being wrapped up in myth. We wouldn't know anything about Egypt if we had that kind of reaction to the way they presented themselves. But there's always some way to glean some truths, to at least tell that some event could have happened.. or at the very least, tell what the geography and political climate might have been like.
    To be honest, not much. But I was kinda forced to take catechism classes when I was a teenager, so I had to read a fairly ammount of pages. I agree that there may be some historical value if someone digs deep enough to separate the wheat from the cockle, but since it wasn't meant for informative purposes even this historical info is very suspect.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I cant believe the manner in which the bible is dissed, seriously, surely its worthy of even the begrudging or conflicted respect which are given to foundation texts of western civilisation, even in that movie The Believer, the self-hating Jew turned Neo-Nazi thug is able to respect the Torah that is vandalised in their attack on a synagogue in that manner.

When I grew up every other old movie shown on TV was a bible epic, excluding the nativity and crucifixion movies there was still The Robe, which featured converts to Christianity and one of the disciples, Barrabus, which was screened recently on the ROI's main broadcast network, Ben Hur has an element of Christianity in it if I'm not mistaken, there's also other films like The Ten Commandments, and plenty of others which I'm sure I'm not recalling right now.

All of those movies and the stories which inspired them are precious vehicles for values and norms, including all the damn things liberals, progressives and other usual suspects for hating on the bible are supposed to hold dear such as emancipation, liberation, equality, justice, reciprocity, mutual aid, respect etc. etc. There's a massive heritage and legacy which is being squandered, disowned, disguarded and entirely without any alternative what so ever to fill the void nearly as effectively.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

@Lark, you should be a priest. Or something equally as intense. Or become a pope.

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'll defend you. This isn't the first thread I have posted that has spun out of control (and with Lark in it, for that matter)
    I'M GETTING TO BOILING POINT AND AS AN ENTJ I CANT HANDLE MY DAMN FEELINGS SO I'M GOING TO HAVE TO EXECUTE EVERY MOTHERF**KING ONE OF YOU!!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Really? I mean really and truly? You believe that there's things sacred in contemporary society? Things which arent questioned?
    I mean the general population. Like 95%. The sacred part was irony, but it is how these 95% view it anyways.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'M GETTING TO BOILING POINT AND AS AN ENTJ I CANT HANDLE MY DAMN FEELINGS SO I'M GOING TO HAVE TO EXECUTE EVERY MOTHERF**KING ONE OF YOU!!
    Well now that Lark the volatile ENTJ is in here Don Quixote style, everyone RUN RUN FOR COVER!!!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Lark, you should be a priest. Or something equally as intense. Or become a pope.
    In all seriousness I could be a crusader, if the whole idea hadnt been ruined so badly by nazi nut cases who imagine they are Templers, as it is I'll play a much more modest warrior-scholar online.