Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    There are too many books and literature types in the Bible to read it any one way. 39 in the Jewish canon, 66 in the Protestant, 73 Catholic, 77 Orthodox. I think. Some of it is drab military and royal chronologies. Some of it are reconfigured Mesopotamian myths. Some are just recipes for bread. Some are just love poetry. Some wisdom books consist of one liner proverbs, while others are almost secular-like diatribes on the meaningless of life (Ecclessiastes). Some purported to be written by prophets, while others ritualistic in nature, instructional manuals for priests. Some are correspondance letters. I don't see why not to read these literally, particularly. Some, like the gospels, are narratives.. while other gospels are narratives mixed with a lot of third person commentary (John).
    I like the prophetic books of the bible, old and new testaments, they contain advice which I think can be taken literally, also I believe there is advice in James and Matthew about the acquisition of wealth and reciprocity and gift relationships which could bare literal interpretations too. Amos and Sirach (spelling) I think both have advice which is pretty perrenial too, Sirach is one of my favourite quotable quote writers infact.

Good points and great post though, the differences in perserved and included texts is a good one too I think. Although I dont think that there are that many which I would consider reconstructed mesopotamian myths, I'm inclined to consider, like Levi-Strauss, that there can be remarkable congruence between different myths or cultures while they are still perfectly distinct from one another because of underlying structures.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Complete nonsense, but vague enough to make people derive tangible meanings from it. It is like Victor talking, but since it's sacred people don't stop to question.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I voted nonsense. Sorry, but I've only ever been able to find comedic value in the Bible and not much else. And it seems so unimportant to me in the scheme of things that scholarly inquiry into it can be nothing but a useless, arcane bore. It can only incidentally have value to other areas of study, and seems not to be worth much else on its own.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Complete nonsense, but vague enough to make people derive tangible meanings from it. It is like Victor talking, but since it's sacred people don't stop to question.
    How much have you read? Not all of it, I think, was intended to be sacred. Some of it is no different than other ancient nationalistic stories in the region. Stories of leaders especially. We don't completely write those off either, despite them being wrapped up in myth. We wouldn't know anything about Egypt if we had that kind of reaction to the way they presented themselves. But there's always some way to glean some truths, to at least tell that some event could have happened.. or at the very least, tell what the geography and political climate might have been like.

Sniffles

Somehow I feel responsible for this thread.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Actually, Jack427 is responsible, @Peguy, my friend. I greatly appreciate our conversation.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Sniffles

Oh I'm not responsible? Whew....that's a relief.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Really? I mean really and truly? You believe that there's things sacred in contemporary society? Things which arent questioned?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Okay, Jack is only partly responsible- you contributed. Though I wouldn't have created the thread if not for Jack. The tools you gave me, @Peguy, allowed me to articulate what I was thinking
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex