• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Varieties of Truth

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
You are telling me who I am based on an invalid and unreliable personality test, that I have never seen, let alone done.

Is that right?

No.

I am telling you based on much personal observation and reflection that you fit the archetype of a dominant introverted feeler, as spelled out in Jungian typological theory.

And, to preempt you, yes, I know that you like to spread misinformation claiming that Carl Jung molested his female patients.

Mole

Permabanned
Sexual Healing and Sexual Abuse

you like to spread misinformation claiming that Carl Jung molested his female patients.

I think he called it sexual healing.

Perhaps it is just one of the varieties of truth - some call it sexual abuse by the doctor and some call it sexual healing by the guru.

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
For something to be true, it must be in accord with reality.

It must be true regardless of circumstances, feelings, opinions, sentiment, etc.

It must be eternal and unchanging.

Perception of truth may be relative, but truth itself is not.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I don't understand.

We NTJs don't like when you NTPs talk about truth in terms of "eternal and unchanging".

It is a reflection of your Ti and Si, and it is anathema to our Te and Se.

We see all kinds of changing and ephemeral truths in the flow of existence.

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
We NTJs don't like when you NTPs talk about truth in terms of "eternal and unchanging".

It is a reflection of your Ti and Si, and it is anathema to our Te and Se.

We see all kinds of changing and ephemeral truths in the flow of existence.

Yeah, I get that.

But what I don't understand is how being born only 2000 years ago conflicts with being the Son of God. I don't see any inherent contradiction or conflict there.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Yeah, I get that.

But what I don't understand is how being born only 2000 years ago conflicts with being the Son of God. I don't see any inherent contradiction or conflict there.

I found it a bit odd myself, but I think he was pointing to the fact that because Jesus was temporal, he could therefore, by your conditions for truth, not be true (and thus not the Son of God).

Nicodemus

I don't understand.

How does being born only 2000 years ago conflict with being the Son of God?
I take it you think that 'Jesus is the son of god' is a true statement. But 3,000 years ago, there was no Jesus. Therefore, if truth is eternal and unchanging, 'Jesus is the son of god' is not a true statement.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The problem there is, in this scheme of things, being born does not equal "existing." He is thought to have existed before he was incarnated.

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
The problem there is, in this scheme of things, being born does not equal "existing." He is thought to have existed before he was incarnated.

Exactly.

And I would add that Jesus was resurrected from the dead--as in, he is still alive.

The point is--He always was, and always will be, the Son of God--Eternal and unchanging.

There is no contradiction here, except in your mind.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

Where did he "exist" before?

And I would add that Jesus was resurrected from the dead--as in, he is still alive.

What does this matter if his existence is not contingent upon his living?

And Jesus is still alive now?

After he was resurrected, he actually became a living human being again?

And he's stayed a living, breathing human ever since? Even after he left the Earth?

Why wouldn't he have just gone back to existing, not actually living?

The point is--He always was, and always will be, the Son of God--Eternal and unchanging.

Who gave birth to him the first time? Before he was born? When he just existed?

I mean, he couldn't have come into existence at the same time as God, if he is God's child, no?

At what point in time, how long after God came into existence, did God make baby Jesus?

(And by "baby Jesus", I'm not referring to the actual, in the flesh, living Jesus, just the Jesus that was born into existence, not life.)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Erg, I should have known better than to walk into that can of worms.

Zarathustra, the idea is that god is a triune god. The father, the son, the HOLY GHOST. All one. The son and the holy ghost always existed. They just didn't manifest.

But I don't want to get bogged down in proving Christianity because it really can't be proven. It's a codification of certain ideas that have always been with us.

and ps the only version I know is Protestant
As far as who gave birth to Jesus, it just occurred to me I suppose a Catholic christian might say Mary did. She's not part of the trinity. She's just the queen of heaven. :)

God exists in infinity. It's not linear and we can't measure it. Now and then is all happening at once.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
It's a codification of certain ideas that have always been with us.

Always?

Or only for the last 2000 years or so?

Or ~1700 or so, really, if you consider when it was all finally written, agreed upon, and codified.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
And Tilty, I'm just playing...

:D

I just find it amazing to see adult's actually still believing in and repeating this stuff.

I went through this all when I was a kid, and, well, it just seems so absurd to me anymore these days.

And I'm not even like Nico; I'm no atheist.

Theology is just so... dubitable.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There have been many triune gods and goddesses, and many gods that sent sons to earth. Way before Jesus.
3 is a significant number, the number of creation. We like things in 3s.

I'm just playing, too. It's interesting to talk about ideas and religion and how things came to be.

We're highjacking Nicodemus' thread, though. :)

People find meaning and understand things as they can, as they're fashioned to. The more people with different truths talk together, the greater chance we can understand. (I hope)

Ok: Indubitable truth: green M&Ms make you horny

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Oh, I didn't realize you were gettin all Joseph Campbell up in here.

Yes, in that case, I completely agree with you.

:)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I started to hug you but maybe you don't like that. Er, um ... high five!

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
:laugh:

I accept hugs.

ETA: but yikes! what're you doing adding all that stuff to your posts?!? I'ma have to start quoting you next time!

:D