First 123412 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    I'm also speaking of objective truths. The belief of facts in itself bears faith in that the facts themselves are true. We put faith in what scientists find, what they theorise, what explorers explored and told... and our depictions of what we see as facts. But really, all we ever have is information perceived and how much faith we put in it. What we see as a solid fact is simply an abstract categorisation of that information.
    Yeah. That kind of undergirds what I was saying about 'reliability' playing a part in the acceptance of something as true, since we can't ever really confirm any fact (to me) as 100% certain. At some point, the balance tips from something we trust enough to depend on to something we're hesitant to rely on.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

SmileyMan told me that the pragmatic approach to truth is silly. You better rework you ideas, Jennifer, Oakysage, Nicodemus.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    I'm also speaking of objective truths. The belief of facts in itself bears faith in that the facts themselves are true. We put faith in what scientists find, what they theorise, what explorers explored and told... and our depictions of what we see as facts. But really, all we ever have is information perceived and how much faith we put in it. What we see as a solid fact is simply an abstract categorisation of that information.
    So even objective truths are based in faith.

I like it because it helps prove my theory.

Truth is truth.

That which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.

True = 1
    False = 0

No need for 0.5

I believe people are able to create thus create truth.

It's all about fidelity.

There's universal truth and personal truth.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

truth can be so enchanting or just something
    that's constantly putting me in a state of defense.
    and at times, offense. but it just sorta lets me
    make sense of the world.

but then again a lot of things that i've thought of
    as truths, they also have room to kinda fall apart,
    but you know, there's always fragments of it behind.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by uncommonentity View Post
    Truth is truth.

That which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.

True = 1
    False = 0

No need for 0.5

I believe people are able to create thus create truth.

It's all about fidelity.

There's universal truth and personal truth.
    haha, your first version sounded so decisive.. then you revised and it kinda got muddy. Everything gets muddy, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    haha, your first version sounded so decisive.. then you revised and it kinda got muddy. Everything gets muddy, and that's the truth.
    Fuck yeah!

Our personal truth is what we really say to ourselves when our social mask is off. Once you decide what your personal truth is, then you'll be less vulnerable to what others say. The stronger you feel about yourself and the more confidence you have, the more susceptibility to what others say will decline.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm going to throw this comment out there: Nobody really cares about Universal Truth.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Great topic, though apparently I misunderstood compared to some of the responses.

Anyway, I didn't even think about truth in the physical world at first, I was thinking about spiritual and unknown truths. On Earth, truths are that which "sane" minds almost universally call the same. If I see a mouse, and you see a mouse, and Saturned sees a mouse, and everyone else on the planet who is considered of sound judgment sees a mouse, than that is a truth to us as humans. (Though I think our subconscious weeds some details out, if we let go of that, I'm not sure if we would all still see the same thing.)

Anyway, pretty simple. Spiritually, for me, it is about what comes from within- probably a combination of my religious background and values, ethnicity, current information, etc. etc. At the end of the day, though it likely comes from a variety of different sources, it feels uniquely me, as if I pulled the truth out of my own mind. I think for a lot of people nowadays it is the same. But then there are a whole lot of other people who don't try to personalize the truth to themselves- and I think, if you can't understand your own truths deep within your heart, then you have not found truth.

I think that minds seek to find tidy, unified truths. They want everything to fit in like it's this giant one million piece puzzle, and theories that seek to complete that puzzle are going to be theories that are comfortable for us.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Three different kinds of truth:

• representational (or "correspondence"): the utterance accurately represents (or corresponds to) reality.
    • internally consistent (or "coherence"): the utterance accurately follows the established rules of its system.
    • pragmatic: what is said in the utterance, from our experience/observation, seems to work/get the job done.

Based on the definition of pragmatic you gave earlier (in another thread), which gave more grey area to the pragmatic position than I have seen in the past, I could be called a pragmatist. But that's mainly because I thought some of the grey area you built into the pragmatic position left room for some representational/correspondence ideas of truth, the absence of which in previous definitions of pragmatism I had seen left me wanting. As such, my conception of truth is probably rather similar to yours, but, depending on your further elucidation of your position, I may (or may not) allow for the possibility of greater amounts of representational/correspondential truth in my understanding (with the caveat being that, even if the truth does accurately represent/correspond to reality, we can never actually be certain that it does [except, perhaps, in certain a priori arguments, or even when we "really just know" and do actually happen to be correct]).