User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    If Nicodemus doesn't have a problem with the present line of discussion dominating his thread as it is, then I suppose it does not matter; but I could understand why he might. In some sense, though, it's still an interesting discussion about truth. Nicodemus?
    It's fine by me.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Hm. I tend to think there is either truth or falsity, while my friends think that human understanding can't access the truth, and that the more evidence there is for something, the more true it is.
    So your approach to representational/correspondential truth is binary, while there's is more by degrees?

I tend to prefer the latter myself...

You are more than welcome to keep up your on-topic discussion, gentlemen, I wasn't intending to put a damper on it. Be cautious about calling someone a dick, but questioning the ideas others put forth is part of what foruming is about. If you feel someone is pursing you a little too doggedly, we have the option of adding a user to your ignore list.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    You are more than welcome to keep up your on-topic discussion, gentlemen, I wasn't intending to put a damper on it. Be cautious about calling someone a dick, but questioning the ideas others put forth is part of what foruming is about. If you feel someone is pursing you a little too doggedly, we have the option of adding a user to your ignore list.
    Ah yeah. I did call him a dick, didn't I? It was more in jest though, hoping he'd explain more things afterwards. I mean, I'd call my own dad and brother dicks, for similar reasons.

I have to remember that isn't the best approach. As for the rest, yeah, I don't know why he doesn't ignore me.

Hate

I accept hugs.
    Do you accept bro-hugs?

Can I give you a bro-hug?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Do you accept bro-hugs?

Can I give you a bro-hug?

I do accept bro hugs, but I might go with up to 3 pats on the back.

Fair warning.

Hate

I do accept bro hugs, but I might go with up to 3 pats on the back.

Fair warning.
    I can live with 3 pats.

And I promise not to make things awkward like John Mayer.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upnOrDgWnX4"]-[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Welcome!

The purpose of this thread is to survey the various conceptions of truth that are ingrained in your minds. In order to participate and win a rabbit, please go by the following steps:

1. Look into yourself.
    2. Feel, think about, grasp at the idea of truth that you find in there.
    3. Ponder the best way to put it into words.
    4. Put it into words.
    5. Submit it.

It is neither necessary nor requested that you think about how truth should be, could be, or is defined by others. It is all about you.

I hope your answer will in itself answer the following question; if it does not, however, please answer: According to your conception of truth, what is required for statement 'x'* to be true?

* 'x' could be anything, for instance, 'Yeshua of Nazareth died on the cross'.
    Truth is a human construct, an abstraction. It does not exist outside of us, it's a perception. I'd relate it to the concept of 'reality' in the sense of 'truth is what is reflected by reality.' Reality exists outside us, although we can only see part of it due to limitations in our ability to operate*. There is also the option that reality only exists as a perception, but that doesn't effect whether something is 'true' or not - truth is reflected by reality whether or not reality is there as we perceive it to be. This all brings a bunch of useful (necessary!) qualifiers into the picture, because there can be subjective reality (and thus subjective truth) and empirical truth and truth that is consistent among members of a group.

For something to be true, it has to be an accurate and consistent depiction of reality. Accurate in the sense of describing reality as it is, declarative rather than normative. It has to be consistent in the sense of not conflicting with itself. Because "truth" is a mental model, the model should only be considered functional (in the sense of reflecting truth) if it doesn't contradict itself. If it contradicts itself, then something is wrong with the model, or something is wrong with the perception of reality.

*We can only gather information from our senses, furthermore, we can only conceptualize with our senses (even abstractions such as infinity have to be imagined with a sensory impression - like blackness, or endless sound, or imagery - for them to have any meaning). These are limitations. There exist things outside of our ability to recognize they are there. Some may call these things "reality" but I don't think they qualify if we cannot comprehend them. "Truth" and "reality" may be used as analogous terms to describe these things but truly we cannot describe them - that would require that we be something other than human, hence my initial limitation that truth is a "human construct."

Contradiction checks are welcome.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    I'm just gonna post what I want to post when I want to post.

But you may be right. It might be better just to lurk.

This is tedious beyond belief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    Yes, you have made this very tedious.

More so than anyone else, so far.
    -grabs preacher spurgeon by the collar and throws him up against the wall-

Tisk, tisk, tisk, KDude didn't deserve that little guilt trip [quoted above], did he? @KDude is making sense.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Truth can change, and may only be temporary.
    I suppose everyone has their own sense of internal truth, that which will (usually) always remain the same.
    I think this will stem from a combination of things...our experiences with the world around us, the things we are taught and social influence.
    For me my own truth is deep set and seems unchangable at the root.
    What it is is not so relevant but it's like a knowing, a feeling.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"