• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Varieties of Truth

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For 200,000 years we knew the truth - we knew we were the centre of the Universe. Look, we said, the very Sun goes round us every day, and look, we are the centre of the Gods' attentions, and finally the centre of the One God's attention.

And just as every child goes through the narcissistic phase believing they are the centre of the universe, so we believed we were the centre of the Universe.

But the values of evidence and reason of the Enlightenment led us to question our belief that we are the centre of the Universe.

Evidence and reason applied to astronomy showed us we are not the centre of the Universe. We now know the centre is everywhere. In other words, where ever we are in the Universe, we have the illusion we are at the centre.

And interestingly we still believe our size is at the centre of the Universe. But Quantum Mechanics and Relativity have shown us that size is simply parochial. We are still narcissistic about our size.

But we now know that the very big or the very small are so far out of our perception of size we can't even imagine them, although we can delineate them with great accuracy.

Narcissism is a necessary phase for small children to pass through, but in grownups, narcissism is a neurosis.

This is so very true, but what of our existance as meaning-creating creatures? Isn't there something that humans can find meaningful about life and other humans?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Welcome!

The purpose of this thread is to survey the various conceptions of truth that are ingrained in your minds. In order to participate and win a rabbit, please go by the following steps:

1. Look into yourself.
  2. Feel, think about, grasp at the idea of truth that you find in there.
  3. Ponder the best way to put it into words.
  4. Put it into words.
  5. Submit it.
It is neither necessary nor requested that you think about how truth should be, could be, or is defined by others. It is all about you.

I hope your answer will in itself answer the following question; if it does not, however, please answer: According to your conception of truth, what is required for statement 'x'* to be true?

* 'x' could be anything, for instance, 'Yeshua of Nazareth died on the cross'.

Experience is my truth.

- - - Updated - - -

Experience is my truth

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
why cant I see my post

*throws a school*

- - - Updated - - -

oh there we go.

Experience is my truth

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Experience requires interpretation. And in beings who lack omniscience, experience is limited.

Experience cannot be interpreted as truth. It just is. The second you interpret experience is the second you are setting limitations on the limitless.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I do things to get the things I want so that other people cant do their things to stop me fron doing my things. The best thing is the thing that makes me feel gooder the longest and bestest and benefits everyone else in the process. aka truth.

/Communicating with INTPs 101

Mane

Permabanned
There is this thing, which it's very nature defines it to be everything, and we're all in it. Our ability to perceive and understand it is rather limited, but in our desire to overcome those limitations, we repeatedly attempt to create mental maps of how that thing is (The nature of that desire would baffle the best alien minds, if only the sort of aliens who would be baffled by it cared enough to learn about it in the first place). From a human perspective, truth is when the mental maps of a thing and the actual nature of the thing align.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Experience cannot be interpreted as truth. It just is. The second you interpret experience is the second you are setting limitations on the limitless.

You give an object a name, like a "chair" and you are interpreting it. A chair is a concept. If you came from a planet that had no chairs, when you first saw a chair, you probably would not even know what it is for.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sometimes, the truth is something that can be difficult to handle - especially in cases where a person who has forgotten his/her past is blissfully unaware that he/she is living a lie. In those cases, it would be better to remain lost in sweet idealistic dreams, than to face a bitter truth that could shatter the person completely.

This was a comment I made over three years ago, so here's how much I've changed since then:

Facing a bitter truth is better than living in a world of sugar-coated lies. At least the truth gives me strength and newfound wisdom to move forward with.

What is truth really? Only one who knows of everything can truly know the truth. The rest of us, even the most enlightened, are stumbling around on a windy night with a candle seeing images in poorly lit conditions and trying to remember what we saw with brains that have a tendency to forget details rather quickly.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
this is a difficult question to answer.

In the essence of MY life truth, what I believe is true if Jesus died for our sins.

I feel like truth itself is more subjective. While we may all agree on, say, "murder is wrong.", the logic of why is different amongst people. There is a certain amount of subjectivity even in what appears objective.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you think about any concept too hard you start to realize nothing is truly objective. Reasonable maybe, logical perhaps. But not fully objective. I think when majority agrees on something, society considers it truth. Anything else is just opinion. And I think that thought scares some people, people who need certainty.

For me personally I find truth in my faith, in Christ. I also find truth in how I feel about things and people, what I feel is right and wrong. Some might say feelings are fickle and shouldn't be relied on, but they guide me. Doesn't mean I'm without reason or a slave to what I feel, but it guides me. Maybe it's a gut feeling or intuition, or God's voice. Perhaps all three, but I trust it. I trust Him, and I trust myself. That's my truth.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Facing a bitter truth is better than living in a world of sugar-coated lies. At least the truth gives me strength and newfound wisdom to move forward with.
Exactly. Sugar coated lies are useless, and do not help one improve or make things better.

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
Truth is empirical and logical, everything else is just conviction.