User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    Zarathustra:
    Tell me your definition of existentialism, and I will tell you how it conflicts with Biblical Christianity.
    How does the concept of existence preceding essence contradict Christianity? I mean St. Thomas Aquinas proposed the same idea back in the 13th century, and Existentialism(particularly Kierkegaard's version) also seems to draw on many themes related to the Augustinian priniciple of Interiority:
    Interiority holds that truth may be found through a self-exploration of the inner life of an individual person.Interiority refers to the interior life, a particular lived reality of a spiritual tradition. It is a spiritual withdrawing inwards in order to come to a better knowledge of both oneself and God. This is our "resting in God." As the opening paragraph of the Confessions of Augustine acknowledges, "because You have made us for yourself, and our hearts find no peace until they rest in you." (Confessions, I,I.) Only in God is found the final happiness of any person....

http://www.friendsofaugustine.org/in...d=67&Itemid=89
    And Jewish Existentialists like Martin Buber and Lev Shestov didn't seem to have trouble drawing upon the Bible for inspiration for their religious-based Existentialism.

Do explain.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Peguy.

No homo.

(Wouldn't want you going to hell or anything.)

MBTI
    xNxx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    What?
    Yeah, I don't think his philosophy is consistent with Biblical Christianity. Way too much emphasis on the individual and on subjectivity.
    And as far as I can tell, he never actually took the leap of faith. He remained in doubt.

Sniffles

Yeah, I don't think his philosophy is consistent with Biblical Christianity. Way too much emphasis on the individual and on subjectivity.
    Well he was operating from a Lutheran perspective, which emphasizes private faith(and Luther was a great admirer of St. Auguastine - with the principle of Interiority I just showed above). Also keep in mind he was also reacting to Hegel's philosophy, which tended to subordinate individuality to abstractions.

And as far as I can tell, he never actually took the leap of faith. He remained in doubt.
    Can you explain this further? By most accounts, he took his religious faith very very very seriously.

Yet, as I said, you've never explained what biblical Christianity even is. You keep pointing to it, but apparently, your wife and kids are more important than doing much more than that. Not a bad thing though

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I'm assuming this could tell us most of what we need to know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Spurgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I'm assuming this could tell us most of what we need to know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Spurgeon
    I know who Charles Spurgeon is, but he's a Baptist. It's up to debate that he has the final say on what's biblical.

Unless Spurgeon is actually God. He does kind of have an epic beard, doesn't he?

A window to the soul

In any case, "varieties of truth" do not exist--except as mental constructs.

In reality, there is only truth and falsehood.
    I don't disagree, but I think you're still missing the point. In reality, it's not always that simple to determine what is true or false. We don't know all of the truths about the universe, correct? Even the Bible indicates we do not have all of the answers. In Physics, there are some cases where we can only conceptualize that which is likely true, but we have no way of physically proving it.

Christianity is no different. You can prove Jesus existed, but how do you prove he's the son of God? How do you prove the Holy Spirit? How do you prove salvation? How do you move past the conceptualization stage to prove something is true? It's not always possible. And when faith is all you've got, how did you get there?

Because truth is actualized, right? And *You* can describe that which is true, which was actualized in *you* after you received the Holy Spirit. You might describe a miraculous change you had overnight or an incredible feeling like being in love when you felt God's spirit poured into you. It's tangible to you because you feel it and it confirms concepts *you* read in the Bible, *but* what about the people that haven't experienced God? People that have head knowledge (or faith in concepts that may or may not be true), but do not have the heart knowledge (of God) or experience to say for certain.

If someone doesn't experience God in a tangible way, what do you say then? I think that's what this thread is all about; our varieties of truth that don't fit the *worldly* definition of truth. According to your statement (above), I'm going to throw this question at ya in hopes you'll humor me and answer...

If God's existence is X and X is true, and truth is actualized, then what specifically did you see (or experience)?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I know who Charles Spurgeon is, but he's a Baptist. It's up to debate that he has the final say on what's biblical.
    I'm just saying it would seem to be the most likely source of our friend Spurgeon's "truth".

Unless Spurgeon is actually God. He does kind of have an epic beard, doesn't he?

MBTI
    xNxx

Yet, as I said, you've never explained what biblical Christianity even is. You keep pointing to it, but apparently, your wife and kids are more important than doing much more than that. Not a bad thing though
    OK. Since you asked, I will tell you.

Biblical Christianity can be summed up like this:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.
    And this is the judgement: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God." --John 3:16-21