• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does Hell exist?

Does Hell exist?

• Yes

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • No

Votes: 43 72.9%

• Total voters

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you believe in the presence of demons, demonic things, and/or the devil?

Do you believe that hell (aka the lake of fire) exists?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
no, but i've accepted the possibility that i may end up there

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe in the capacity for terrible human evil because history has recorded it and I witness it today, but I have no way to comment on the existence of the devil, demons, or hell as conventionally accepted. As metaphors? Certainly. As quantifiable entities and locations? Unsure.

no, but i've accepted the possibility that i may end up there

...Actually, there's a possibility we might already be there.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I used to at one point, I was raised very religious. In fact when I was a kid my biggest fears were demon possession and alien abduction. I was taught that aliens were actually demons in disguise. Then I went through a point in life trying to summon demons then I went through an atheistic phase.

Now, hmm, I don't believe so, not strictly. But I believe in a metaphoric existence of demons, which can be really real if it fits into your world view. Real things, real problems, real malevolent forces materialize into forms that you expect.

Do you believe that hell (aka the lake of fire) exist?

I believe hell is a state of existence present when you are separated from God. So yes I believe in hell. I'm pretty sure, though that I don't believe in God the same way that you do and I'm sure I don't believe in its manifestation in the same way as you.

So, my answers are, Yes and No. I'm a professional sword edge walker.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
No, I don't. However, nothing motivates people to do what you say like telling them they'll go to hell if they don't.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What about demons, do you believe in demons?

No, I don't. However, nothing motivates people to do what you say like telling them they'll go to hell if they don't.

If it works, then that means they believe there is a hell.

I am aware that all people who believe that there is a hell also believe there is a heaven, but how come some people who believe in heaven don't believe in hell?

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
What about demons, do you believe in demons?

If it works, then that means they believe there is a hell.

I am aware that all people who believe that there is a hell also believe there is a heaven, but how come some people who believe in heaven don't believe in hell?

Because they don't want to equate the belief in a loving creator with the idea of eternal torment in a fiery hell. Well, that's my take on it; there are probably other reasons they might have.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I've never bought into the idea that Hell was 'invented' to scare the shit of believers. Sure, it's one usage, but reality is a lot more complicated than that. Hell is part of a cosmology meant to describe the Christian spritual landscape, reducing it to just being a motivational tool is too simplistic. It also implies there was some sort of illuminati style committee deciding how to control the populance, which is ridiculous.

rav3n

There are devilish people but as it relates to the depiction within organised religions, nope.

Infidel here so no, don't believe in this either. Even from a believer's standpoint, if you refer back to the old testament, the concept of hell differed. It was considered a neutral place awaiting judgment of Heaven or not.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are devilish people but as it relates to the depiction within organised religions, nope.

Infidel here so no, don't believe in this either. Even from a believer's standpoint, if you refer back to the old testament, the concept of hell differed. It was considered a neutral place awaiting judgment of Heaven or not.

Yep. Back to my Biblical training. Jews, first of all, don't believe in Hell, and that's pretty telling. There are two words in the Bible describing hell, Gehinnom which was a place where bodies were burned, and Sheol which is a lot more like the Roman's concept of hell.. kinda grey and a sad. There's really much all else in there describing Hell, everything else decided about it was off-book.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
If it does, I seriously doubt it's somewhere you spend eternity- I mean nobody is capable of committing an unlimited amount of evil.

Qlip also raises good points.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I grew up catholic and they would sometimes talk about purgatory. I didnt reallly get what that was. Sounds like a waiting room.

Even from a believer's standpoint, if you refer back to the old testament, the concept of hell differed. It was considered a neutral place awaiting judgment of Heaven or not.

I think lots of things differ from the old and new testament.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't believe we have spirits, in first place. Hell is a mere religious creation, just like limbo, which the Church decided to abolish(!!!) few years ago.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If it does, I seriously doubt it's somewhere you spend eternity- I mean nobody is capable of committing an unlimited amount of evil.

Qlip also raises good points.

What's sad, and why I am not Christian.. is that they do believe exactly this, that we are inherantly evil, and deserve Hell as we are born. I just can't accept that.

rav3n

Yep. Back to my Biblical training. Jews, first of all, don't believe in Hell, and that's pretty telling. There are two words in the Bible describing hell, Gehinnom which was a place where bodies were burned, and Sheol which is a lot more like the Roman's concept of hell.. kinda grey and a sad. There's really much all else in there describing Hell, everything else decided about it was off-book.
Yes. It's also been theorised that the burning portion came from a nearby garbage dump.

I think lots of things differ from the old and new testament.
Beyond what Qlip's referenced, you might also want to refer to the Apostles' Creed where Jesus, post crucifixion, also "descended into Hell". Pretty telling, considering the argument of waiting room vs. eternal punishment center.

KDude

"Technically" (doctrine wise), hell and lake of fire are seperate things. The lake of fire is called a "second death", a final means of purging all evil mentioned in the book of revelation. A place that kills even Satan. Not a place he rules. Hell, on the other hand, is an underworld, somewhat shaped by Greek concepts of Hades. It's evolved in various ways. From what I gather, it was really not very different than Hades at first. A destination for all of the dead. Jesus is said to have descended into hell after his death. This idea is almost as old as the Church itself, showing up in the Apostle's Creed (some versions of it at least. Various branches have tried to omit it). The early church apparently believed Jesus had good news even for the residents of hell itself. This makes one think twice whether it was meant for permanent condemnation. Hades, in Greek mythology, was much the same. Bleak, but not a place of condemnation. Even the Elyusian Fields were considered a part of Hades, meant for the good souls and heroes of the world.

Anyways, I'm getting sidetracked. I don't know what to believe. The evil of man is enough to think about for now. I'd volunteer sending some to hell, if I could get away with it. But then, that'd just send me to an earthly hell, called the State Penitentiary.

rav3n

"Technically" (doctrine wise), hell and lake of fire are seperate things. The lake of fire is called a "second death", a final means of purging all evil mentioned in the book of revelation. A place that kills even Satan. Not a place he rules.
Taking this further, the lake of death first appeared in the Book of Revelation (New Testament).

KDude

Taking this further, the lake of death first appeared in the Book of Revelation (New Testament).

Another thing worth mentioning is that Satan never actually rules hell in biblical texts either. He's a wanderer (of the earth). As are other demons. This goes for both Old Testament and New Testament. The concept of a ruler of hell is from Hades (the god). Except, Hades is never exactly bad. He's one of the first gods/brother of Zeus. He helped defeat the Titans. Probably a dick, and very emo, but not exactly the embodiment of evil like Satan is. It's only when the two ideas merge that Satan becomes this king of hell figure.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
All evil is human in origin. The concept of hell is just a convenient way of avoiding resposibility.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
What's sad, and why I am not Christian.. is that they do believe exactly this, that we are inherantly evil, and deserve Hell as we are born. I just can't accept that.

It just seems strange to me that, if there's a direct correlation between your actions and beliefs and consequences in the afterlife, they would operate on some system more harsh than reaping what you sow, so to say.