User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does Hell exist?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    19 30.65%
  • No

    43 69.35%
First 5678917 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 208

  1. #61
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    So what you don't like is that Christianity is open to interpretation and isn't set in stone? (could be reading this wrong)
    No. We were musing about the ridiculousness of the christian belief, noting that it is difficult to say with certainty exactly how ridiculous it is, because there are so many interpretations of what is written in the scriptures and, thus, what should be considered the christian belief.

  2. #62
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    No. We were musing about the ridiculousness of the christian belief, noting that it is difficult to say with certainty exactly how ridiculous it is, because there are so many interpretations of what is written in the scriptures and, thus, what should be considered the christian belief.
    You can say this about every belief system. Is your bone to pick with Christianity alone or all forms of religion?

  3. #63
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    You can say this about every belief system. Is your bone to pick with Christianity alone or all forms of religion?
    Mostly Christianity - because I live in the Western world, I suppose. I disagree with the first sentence, of course.

  4. #64
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    What I personally found astounding is that God, an all powerful and all knowing being, gets offended. Getting offended has always seemed like such a base human reaction to me. Even when you think of enlightened people, like Gandhi, MLK, Mandela, etc, they weren't the kind to "get offended and dish out the appropriate punishment". And these are mere mortals, not divine beings, not to mention the ultimate divinity.
    The difference is that: 1) God is perfect and entitled to not being mistreated. Do not confuse this with needing to be treated with respect and honor. God doesn't need anything. 2) God doesn't "dish out the appropriate punishment" because he universally treats people better than they deserve.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  5. #65
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    lol. So you're a Calvinist? Well, I always commend people who are willing to take their beliefs to the logical conclusion.
    Yeah, but people who are logically consistent in their beliefs also tend to be real assholes ( sadly this is often true of calvinists).
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  6. #66
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    I can't be completely sure of anything, really. But to the maximum amount I can be sure of something, I'm sure there's no hell. It makes no sense. It makes no rational or empirical sense that it would exist.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  7. #67
    Senior Member Sanctus Iacobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Sins are often weighed by who they are committed against. Regardless of what humans are involved all sins offend God. God is so perfect, righteous, and holy any offense against him is astronomically evil.

    What is astounding is not that God is wrathful and that there is a hell, but that God is loving and there is a heaven. People deserve wrath and Hell. They do not deserve love and heaven, yet many receive it.
    Right on.
    Good intentions are not enough.

  8. #68
    Senior Member Spurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Sins are often weighed by who they are committed against. Regardless of what humans are involved all sins offend God. God is so perfect, righteous, and holy any offense against him is astronomically evil.

    What is astounding is not that God is wrathful and that there is a hell, but that God is loving and there is a heaven. People deserve wrath and Hell. They do not deserve love and heaven, yet many receive it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    The difference is that: 1) God is perfect and entitled to not being mistreated. Do not confuse this with needing to be treated with respect and honor. God doesn't need anything. 2) God doesn't "dish out the appropriate punishment" because he universally treats people better than they deserve.
    So true.

  9. #69
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    So true.
    Lol.

    I would hope spurgeon would think so.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  10. #70
    Senior Member Spurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Lol.

    I would hope spurgeon would think so.


    From the word of God I gather that damnation is all of man, from top to bottom, and salvation is all of grace, from first to last. He that perishes chooses to perish; but he that is saved is saved because God has chosen to save him. Though some cannot make these statements agree, they are nevertheless equally true.

Similar Threads

  1. Free Will, does it exist?
    By ygolo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 09-04-2016, 10:03 AM
  2. The place where spontaneity does not exist
    By Virtual ghost in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-16-2009, 04:07 PM
  3. does there exist some theory out there based on these type groupings?
    By velocity in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 01:01 PM
  4. Type xxxx - Does It Exist?
    By RansomedbyFire in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-26-2007, 08:32 AM
  5. Justice does not exist
    By Sahara in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 01:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO