62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 30.65%
  • No

43 69.35%
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Does Hell exist?

Senior Member Array Sanctus Iacobus's Avatar

s. 27 A large number of people followed him, including women who mourned and wailed for him. 28 Jesus turned and said to them, “Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me; weep for yourselves and for your children. 29 For the time will come when you will say, ‘Blessed are the childless women, the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed!’ 30 Then
    “‘they will say to the mountains, “Fall on us!”
    and to the hills, “Cover us!”’[b]

31 For if people do these things when the wood is green, what will happen when it is dry?”

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

No I am pretty sure we can't reinterpret that hell is much like, and far worse than, what you'd think it was, as it's quite obvious what it is.
    Good intentions are not enough.

Senior Member Array

Hell is other people.

Senior Member Array uncommonentity's Avatar

No, I only believe in ponies.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

Junior Member Array omglookitsagoat's Avatar

Most of my life, I have not believed in hell. Sometimes I think there might be one because there are some people in the world who unfortunately seem so evil hell must materialize when when they die because of all the concentrated evil in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    No, not like that. I always imagined hell would be an inner turmoil.
    there is an old tori amos song that i love and the line "you choose worlds" haunts me at times.

i have no idea if hell is an actual place or not but i think it is likely an inner state of turmoil or it causes said turmoil. i think hell also may start here and now in this life just as heaven (eternal life) does. i rather doubt people are tormented for eternity though. that makes no sense to me. it is quite possible the soul is not eternal and one just ceases to exist (i.e. annihilationism).

Member Array

33 to 13? The Devil's got'em fooled!

Senior Member Array FunnyDigestion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I am aware that all people who believe that there is a hell also believe there is a heaven, but how come some people who believe in heaven don't believe in hell?
    Some people have told me they don't believe in a vengeful god. Usually they say the consequence for living poorly isn't eternal punishment but an empty separation from heaven.

I think heaven & hell are both places people can go to in their minds.
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

Let me count the ways Array HelenOfTroy's Avatar
    7W6 sp/sx

Personal hells, yes. I can think of several tortured minds and many places where people live in a constant hell.
    A big burny firey place where you get whipped for all eternity for real...because maybe you wanked a lot and didn't go to
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

this forum really is full of people stranded in tneir teens

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

What's that say about those of us older folk who choose to hang out here, then?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft