• No

43 69.35%
First 123412 Last

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

If it does, I seriously doubt it's somewhere you spend eternity- I mean nobody is capable of committing an unlimited amount of evil.

Qlip also raises good points.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I grew up catholic and they would sometimes talk about purgatory. I didnt reallly get what that was. Sounds like a waiting room.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Even from a believer's standpoint, if you refer back to the old testament, the concept of hell differed. It was considered a neutral place awaiting judgment of Heaven or not.
    I think lots of things differ from the old and new testament.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I don't believe we have spirits, in first place. Hell is a mere religious creation, just like limbo, which the Church decided to abolish(!!!) few years ago.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    If it does, I seriously doubt it's somewhere you spend eternity- I mean nobody is capable of committing an unlimited amount of evil.

Qlip also raises good points.
    What's sad, and why I am not Christian.. is that they do believe exactly this, that we are inherantly evil, and deserve Hell as we are born. I just can't accept that.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Yep. Back to my Biblical training. Jews, first of all, don't believe in Hell, and that's pretty telling. There are two words in the Bible describing hell, Gehinnom which was a place where bodies were burned, and Sheol which is a lot more like the Roman's concept of hell.. kinda grey and a sad. There's really much all else in there describing Hell, everything else decided about it was off-book.
    Yes. It's also been theorised that the burning portion came from a nearby garbage dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I think lots of things differ from the old and new testament.
    Beyond what Qlip's referenced, you might also want to refer to the Apostles' Creed where Jesus, post crucifixion, also "descended into Hell". Pretty telling, considering the argument of waiting room vs. eternal punishment center.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Do you believe in the presence of demons, demonic things, and/or the devil?

Do you believe that hell (aka the lake of fire) exists?
    "Technically" (doctrine wise), hell and lake of fire are seperate things. The lake of fire is called a "second death", a final means of purging all evil mentioned in the book of revelation. A place that kills even Satan. Not a place he rules. Hell, on the other hand, is an underworld, somewhat shaped by Greek concepts of Hades. It's evolved in various ways. From what I gather, it was really not very different than Hades at first. A destination for all of the dead. Jesus is said to have descended into hell after his death. This idea is almost as old as the Church itself, showing up in the Apostle's Creed (some versions of it at least. Various branches have tried to omit it). The early church apparently believed Jesus had good news even for the residents of hell itself. This makes one think twice whether it was meant for permanent condemnation. Hades, in Greek mythology, was much the same. Bleak, but not a place of condemnation. Even the Elyusian Fields were considered a part of Hades, meant for the good souls and heroes of the world.

Anyways, I'm getting sidetracked. I don't know what to believe. The evil of man is enough to think about for now. I'd volunteer sending some to hell, if I could get away with it. But then, that'd just send me to an earthly hell, called the State Penitentiary.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    "Technically" (doctrine wise), hell and lake of fire are seperate things. The lake of fire is called a "second death", a final means of purging all evil mentioned in the book of revelation. A place that kills even Satan. Not a place he rules.
    Taking this further, the lake of death first appeared in the Book of Revelation (New Testament).

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Taking this further, the lake of death first appeared in the Book of Revelation (New Testament).
    Another thing worth mentioning is that Satan never actually rules hell in biblical texts either. He's a wanderer (of the earth). As are other demons. This goes for both Old Testament and New Testament. The concept of a ruler of hell is from Hades (the god). Except, Hades is never exactly bad. He's one of the first gods/brother of Zeus. He helped defeat the Titans. Probably a dick, and very emo, but not exactly the embodiment of evil like Satan is. It's only when the two ideas merge that Satan becomes this king of hell figure.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

All evil is human in origin. The concept of hell is just a convenient way of avoiding resposibility.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    What's sad, and why I am not Christian.. is that they do believe exactly this, that we are inherantly evil, and deserve Hell as we are born. I just can't accept that.
    It just seems strange to me that, if there's a direct correlation between your actions and beliefs and consequences in the afterlife, they would operate on some system more harsh than reaping what you sow, so to say.