43 69.35%
First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

No, there is no "hell." I don't even know why we choose to distract ourselves with such nuisance questions when there are clearly more pressing problems to attend to in our waking lives. And if I want intellectual distraction, I'd sooner read a good piece of fiction or set about dissecting some more interesting bit of theory.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Also, it's silly to think that a God would punish creatures whose entire purpose and means of survival depended upon questioning things. Humans wouldn't have gotten out of the mud if they didn't have that.

What's the point of a God who wants this? Taking some people's ideas to their conclusion, it would mean that God indulges in getting his jollies off by burning them for the very things he made them for. Like I said, that God is worse than a toddler. It's on a Cosmic Jeffrey Dahmer level of behavior.. like some kid mad at his dog for something a dog simply does, and cutting his heart out, and burning his entrails for it. All for being a dog and nothing else. Real cool god you got there.

Anyways, I'm done.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    No, there is no "hell."
    Hells bells, then come on down to Texas in July!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Hells bells, then come on down to Texas in July!
    You're right. Houston in July is probably the closest approximation to hell that I've experienced.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

A window to the soul

You're right. Houston in July is probably the closest approximation to hell that I've experienced.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I don't believe in a God in general, but if I even try to humor the existence of God, I always come to this stopping point. God can be omnipotent, benevolent, or neither. He can't be both. A being with infinite and all encompassing power the chooses to create a world racked with suffering and by some peoples' telling a place like hell, simply cannot be benevolent.
    God didn't create a world wracked with suffering but he does permit suffering. the way i understand it is that love requires freedom. love can't be forced so we have been given free will and have to have something else besides the good to choose in our actions. kinda sucks but love that isn't free just isn't love. no one (i hope!) likes the idea of hell but put it this way, are you going to invite jeffrey dahmer into your home to live with you while he's still a serial killer? that would kind of put an end to the party in heaven if you get my drift.

Why would I take that leap of faith as opposed to any other? This is where the whole joke about the flying spaghetti monster came from. Since either way I have to completely suspend skepticism and critical thought and just embrace something that requires no evidence, why not worship the flying spaghetti monster as opposed to your so-called god?
    i think it would be crazy to suspend skepticism and critical thought and just embrace something that requires no evidence. i have never met anyone who has done this to follow God and i honestly can't imagine that anyone would. personally, i had no interest in God/church/religion until i had a spiritual encounter. after that it would have been supremely foolish for me not to embrace God having experienced what i did. i think the question isn't so much one of lack of evidence, although i don't believe one can prove the existence of God, or suspending critical thinking but more what one's starting point is. meaning, if you don't believe anything beyond the natural world can happen then yeah you are going to be hard pressed to believe anything spiritual exists when people claim to have any evidence or supernatural experiences. it might be good to realize that it is only in the western world for the last 500 years that people generally thought the spiritual didn't exist (i.e. naturalism). the rest of the world and for the rest of time before the enlightenment many (most?) people believed in the supernatural. i absolutely think critical reasoning is important in matters of faith, and the lack of it is one reason why the christian church in the west is such a mess, but it isn't the end all be all. reason can only take you just so far...

We, and other sentient beings if they exist (and I believe they do), are the sole arbiters of truth. That doesn't even necessarily mean we get it right, but the point is that we are the only ones that can decide for ourselves what we take as truth and what we don't. There literally isn't any way to surrender our belief to an external force. Supposedly giving in to the infallible word of God is just another name for a specific kind of arbitration about what the truth is.
    i largely agree with you here. while i don't think i am the sole arbiter of truth i can only know said truth subjectively and by faith. it's not possible for humans to be objective. that is supremely arrogant. we see through a glass dimly...

oh yeah, i believe in hell (eternal separation from God) and, wait for it...demons too. lol

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Hell exists only for those who believe in it. For these people, their hell is as real as their sun that rises each morning.

~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Also, it's silly to think that a God would punish creatures whose entire purpose and means of survival depended upon questioning things. Humans wouldn't have gotten out of the mud if they didn't have that.

What's the point of a God who wants this? Taking some people's ideas to their conclusion, it would mean that God indulges in getting his jollies off by burning them for the very things he made them for. Like I said, that God is worse than a toddler. It's on a Cosmic Jeffrey Dahmer level of behavior.. like some kid mad at his dog for something a dog simply does, and cutting his heart out, and burning his entrails for it. All for being a dog and nothing else. Real cool god you got there.

Anyways, I'm done.
    Yes indeed. What is the point of God? Such a (hu)man centric view.

Better to ask what is the point of man?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

No, there is no "hell." I don't even know why we choose to distract ourselves with such nuisance questions when there are clearly more pressing problems to attend to in our waking lives. And if I want intellectual distraction, I'd sooner read a good piece of fiction or set about dissecting some more interesting bit of theory.
    I'm still not reading Dan Brown.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft