First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I'd rather kill for a cause.
    The whole dying thing just doesn't appeal to me.
    Just sayin'.

-Alex
    Last edited by Halla74; 10-05-2011 at 04:31 PM.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

I'm not sure. Martyrdom is a lousy prospect really. I'm not sure what would get me to that point...willingly. I'm certainly not going to fantasize about it at least.

Maybe I'll get a little hate, but I'd rather kill for a cause. And if I had to die, it'd be in the process of killing. This I can fantasize about.

Smile The Enlightenment, Voltaire and Free Speech

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko Souma View Post
    No, though I am unsure what Voltaire said and what I would be "joining" but I would die for that cause if I believed it not "for your right to say it.
    Voltaire (1694 – 1778), was a French Enlightenment writer, historian and philosopher famous for his wit and for his advocacy of free speech.

All those who love free speech quote Voltaire when he said, "I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

And free speech forms the very basis of liberal democracy. And those who hate liberal democracy, such as the fascists, communists and islamists, all ban free speech. They choke the words in our throat.

And it is interesting that it was the Enlightenment that gave us Voltaire and free speech.

MBTI
    INTP

I suppose I'd be willing to risk dying for a cause (in a general sense I have) but in no way am I willing to just sacrifice myself. Heroes don't draw any extra pay. If I had ever gotten my ass caught in a corner where there was little or no chance of getting out I would have been most unhappy and I would have spent the last of my life doing my best to make somebody pay dearly. Not a brag... I just happen to like being alive, am reluctant to die earlier than required and would be most resentful of that fact that I was going to.

I suppose, in a pinch, you could say laying down your life for somebody is a "cause" and if that is true, yes there are a couple of people I would die for. Not bloody many mind you... but a couple. And there are a few more that I would take get risks for - but that is not the same thing.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I'm not sure. Martyrdom is a lousy prospect really. I'm not sure what would get me to that point...willingly. I'm certainly not going to fantasize about it at least.

Maybe I'll get a little hate, but I'd rather kill for a cause. And if I had to die, it'd be in the process of killing. This I can fantasize about.
    Let's hope Sinead won't find you wearing her picture while saying that.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    If my son were the cause, easily. If my country were being invaded, absolutely. Beyond that, only by accident in that sometimes, in the moment action happens. Given time to reconsider, probably not.
    I think this was the first post the mentioned people as a cause. I think I would die for a cause but it would be people I was framing it as dying for. To protect someone or something for someone.

Reminds me of that line in a movie on Vietnam where the soldier talks about dying for freedom and he says if he needs to die for a word he'd rather it be lollitopoppy or something random like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    The whole dying just doesn't appeal to me.
    Just sayin'.

-Alex
    Always better to win.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    I suppose I'd be willing to risk dying for a cause (in a general sense I have) but in no way am I willing to just sacrifice myself. Heroes don't draw any extra pay.
    I was thinking once whether I'd die if there was a guarantee I would live on in eternity as a hero. It would be pretty tempting, living on an eternity as a hero, maybe having a little golden book written after you.

My wife asked me if I want to be a hero a few times. I was just helping people out and risking myself in a really small way but she was worried. The first time it got me thinking, but from then on I just answer yeah! I mean, who wouldn't want to be the hero if they could?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Just sayin'.

-Alex
    I can feel your german genes coming thru
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I think this was the first post the mentioned people as a cause. I think I would die for a cause but it would be people I was framing it as dying for. To protect someone or something for someone.

Reminds me of that line in a movie on Vietnam where the soldier talks about dying for freedom and he says if he needs to die for a word he'd rather it be lollitopoppy or something random like that.
    That's 'cause people are concepts to me!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post

I was thinking once whether I'd die if there was a guarantee I would live on in eternity as a hero. It would be pretty tempting, living on an eternity as a hero, maybe having a little golden book written after you.

My wife asked me if I want to be a hero a few times. I was just helping people out and risking myself in a really small way but she was worried. The first time it got me thinking, but from then on I just answer yeah! I mean, who wouldn't want to be the hero if they could?
    Well from my POV - show me a hero and I'll show you somebody who is in a bad place they'd prefer not to be doing what they have to do. As to "a guarantee I would live on in eternity as a hero" I'll assume you mean in the literary sense and not in some Valhalla. With that assumption the question would is: would I trade my life for some sort of legend? Nope. Not a chance. Show me a dead hero and I'll show you somebody who is dead. I’m not saying it wouldn’t be better to be dead as a hero than a knave but what I am saying is that its better to be alive. Somebody offers me a chance to take part in a sucicide mission but I get to go down in the history books I’m saying “pass”. Let the fools and romantics take the up. Again, it’s not that I haven’t and wouldn’t risk my neck – I just want a sporting chance to live to a ripe old age.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    ESFJ

Just sayin'.

-Alex
    This .. As the zombie apocalypse draws closer, i'll be ready to fight. Just need to find a mall with a gun shop in the UK.
    I'm screwed.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe