• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would You Die For A Cause?

wolfy

awsm
That's 'cause people are concepts to me!

Ha, I think I separate causes as concepts and abstract, and then people as human and maybe seeing a cause as representing something for them ...or something like that. I have a bothersome human focus in my mind. It also works to protect me from taking part in bullshit causes.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
No, I separate the human aspect. I'll admit though... generally, I do consider people human.

Dont you get bored at some time to always seperate the human aspect ? I mean humans are prolly the worst that ever happened to this planet and they stink, I dont know how one could have pity for them

wolfy

awsm
Dont you get bored at some time to always seperate the human aspect ? I mean humans are prolly the worst that ever happened to this planet and they stink, I dont know how one could have pity for them

I don't do it, it just is.

Wanderer

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'd rather kill for a cause. :2ar15:
The whole dying thing just doesn't appeal to me. :thumbdown:
Just sayin'. :happy:

:solidarity:

-Alex

Bahaha; speaking of killing for a cause..
http://www.cracked.com/article_17019_5-real-life-soldiers-who-make-rambo-look-like-pussy.html

"Ultimately, we are all dead men. Sadly, we cannot choose how. But we can choose how we meet that end, in order that we are remembered as men."

Well from my POV - show me a hero and I'll show you somebody who is in a bad place they'd prefer not to be doing what they have to do. As to "a guarantee I would live on in eternity as a hero" I'll assume you mean in the literary sense and not in some Valhalla. With that assumption the question would is: would I trade my life for some sort of legend? Nope. Not a chance. Show me a dead hero and I'll show you somebody who is dead. I’m not saying it wouldn’t be better to be dead as a hero than a knave but what I am saying is that its better to be alive. Somebody offers me a chance to take part in a sucicide mission but I get to go down in the history books I’m saying “pass”. Let the fools and romantics take the up. Again, it’s not that I haven’t and wouldn’t risk my neck – I just want a sporting chance to live to a ripe old age.

Sometimes what needs to be done will leave no sporting chance to see a ripe old age. Weighed in the balance, is your life worth the objective you're working towards?

One of my favorite stories as a kid was about the viking at stamford bridge. History has lost his name, but we remember him for what he did; single handedly holding off the entire Saxon army to give his side a chance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stamford_Bridge#Battle

We all die; how, and for what purpose is usually not a choice we get to make. If you could choose to have it mean something, for it to be a good death, and one that could be remembered by history - wouldn't you?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are people I would take a bullet for. But I will probably die for no good reason, same reason I was born, basically.

Mole

Permabanned
The Death Wish - Thanatos

If we haven't got something to die for, we haven't got something to live for.

The Islamists have something to die for, so they have something to live for.

And it is obvious reading these posts that the West has nothing to die for anymore, and so has nothing to live for, and indeed have even stopped having children.

If we have nothing to die for, we have, ironicly, a death wish.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

And it is obvious reading these posts that the West has nothing to die for anymore, and so has nothing to live for, and indeed have even stopped having children.

Think its time for you to tell whether you are one of the islamists or us or we'll present your death wish :)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't understand needing to justify my existence or needing a reason to live. I'm alive; I live.

KDude

Cool. Now fetch me some cake.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
People do so many things for no reason so I dont see why it wouldnt be possible to die for a cause

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't think I would be villing to die over a cause, at least currently. I don't believe in anything that much.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There is no cause I have encountered or I could make up so far that would bring me even close to considering such an action. I'm leaving that as an 'unlikely.' I'm staying alive as long as I can possibly manage so that I have the potential to save/stir-up the world far more than once.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
My cause is to stay alive for as long as possible. So, no. But I have great respect the people that would. There is no death more honorable than that, as far as I'm concerned.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
^ Also if you blow yourself up in a bus full of people?
Or let yourself and your children be killed in order to be a martyr, like Saint Sophie? She actually went to Rome in order to get persecuted! She got her wish, she is a saint now... imagine that.

There are very few causes which merit a human death. I guess the only ones involve saving other lives.