• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Alienation, what is it? Is it a problem?

Lark

Does alienation exist besides an existential angst? Is it a social problem or an individual problem? Is it political and public or private and personal or is it a combination of both?

Is it cultural and if it is cultural how is it or can it be managed in a multicultural situation and has minority-majority relations anything to do with it?

For instance are you more or less likely to experience alienation as a member of a minority community or a majority, does the status as a minority or majority have any influence on the experience or consciousness of alientation?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

In an effort to avoid the complex I will simply say that it should be common sense that a minority will feel alienated, as to whether this alienation affects them is individually determined. It depends on whether they wish to be a part of the majority or not and probably so much more.

If we see this as an ailment I don't believe the solution is actually dependent on culture, but society and not so much society as is a person's perception on society. Alienation would most likely be caused by them not seeing the benefit of society, or not seeing how they can fit into the society. If they could understand that their role is specialized within society I think the alienation could dissipate to nothing.

Rejection from a society is a can of worms of its own and I'm not sure I'm the one to describe that aspect of the issue. I'm probably a little too biased.

uncommonentity

Yes, Both, & Both.

I personally alienate myself because being an alien is much cooler than being a sheep however there are many other 'aliens' out there who have fallen into the category due to there being no real catering for aliens in so called "real life" so these aliens learn to fend for themselves becoming super aliens and super aliens are totally super rad in comparison to sheep who slurp on the long dong of their government.

Shoutouts to all alien homies who rely on no-one and grow their own life.

I prefer the term 'Fiercely Independent Individual'

I also believe that alienation builds (mostly positive) character and anything that builds character in my mind can never be a problem.

I see society as a really shitty video game I don't want to play.