User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    That brings up something that applies to me. I'm a musician - but I'm not an entertainer. It's for my own happiness/therapy/what have you. Over the years, I've had people want me to do more with it. And when I was young, I had the same rockstar dreams every kid does. But I'm cool with not doing anything with it now. Maybe this sounds like I'm not living up to some potential, but as far as I'm concerned, potential is just picking up an instrument and playing something, and hopefully creating or learning something new. To no end, except that.

We live in a culture where even this is not enough - where an activity has to be some further means to a dream or shaking the world up. It's ridiculous. I don't need to do anything. Music is enjoyable enough on it's own. There have been thousands of poets and musicians throughout history who never did anything either. Maybe the bards of their town, or the drunk on the piano hanging out at some saloon. They didn't have to be "great artists" or rockstars. And hell, even the majority of those who become rockstars often are forgotten too. Their shit eventually ends up in the bargain bin at some half price CD store. IF that. CD stores are dying too.

It all sounds like cynicism probably, but I'm actually just trying to enjoy the simple things.
    Welcome to my world
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

i still think it's all bullshit. hedonism or not. you could be martin luther king, and still get your legacy twisted. few care about whether your life was purposeful or not. the world spins around and has the same old problems it's always going to have.
    Your "legacy" or how other people view your accomplishments has nothing to do with whether you are living your life to the fullest.

That brings up something that applies to me. I'm a musician - but I'm not an entertainer. It's for my own happiness/therapy/what have you. Over the years, I've had people want me to do more with it. And when I was young, I had the same rockstar dreams every kid does. But I'm cool with not doing anything with it now. Maybe this sounds like I'm not living up to some potential, but as far as I'm concerned, potential is just picking up an instrument and playing something, and hopefully creating or learning something new. To no end, except that.
    That is my definition of living life to the fullest. It's directing yourself, under no coercion, into activities that you do because you enjoy them as an end in themselves.

We live in a culture where even this is not enough - where an activity has to be some further means to a dream or shaking the world up. It's ridiculous. I don't need to do anything.
    That's certainly true, which is why it is difficult to live life to the fullest under our present conditions.

Music is enjoyable enough on it's own. There have been thousands of poets and musicians throughout history who never did anything either. Maybe the bards of their town, or the drunk on the piano hanging out at some saloon. They didn't have to be "great artists" or rockstars. And hell, even the majority of those who become rockstars often are forgotten too. Their shit eventually ends up in the bargain bin at some half price CD store. IF that. CD stores are dying too.
    Making money and pursuing music because you enjoy it are two entirely different goals. In some cases they may intersect (though, IMO, that may be an illusion to cover the fact that the money goal has taken first priority), but fame and fortune are just things we think we should have in order to have really "lived."

It all sounds like cynicism probably, but I'm actually just trying to enjoy the simple things.[/QUOTE]
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

We're probably on the same page, Orangey. Closer than not.

If Destiny finds me, I guess I'm not going to fight it. I might even be grateful (depending whether it kills me or not). But I'm not out to search for it myself. I've decided that's a fool's game.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Good decision
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by giegs View Post
    Last weekend I went to a mountain I'd never been to the base of and knew nothing about, eyed a line and started climbing up its features, alone and untethered. I experienced a full range of emotions on the way up and back down and generally had a great time. 5 hours later I stood at the top having done something new in this world on a whim. It still makes me smile. At the same time I'm reminded of Hemingway. Something to the effect of don't talk about it, it only serves to ruin it. Same idea comes up in Cool Hand Luke.
    Nice post. I've noticed this, that talking about an experience can diminish its power in your mind. There is some power in keeping what you are going to do to yourself as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What's everyone's thoughts and feelings on this topic?
    It is always something creative, some project. Or some kind of adventure done with others.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Your "legacy" or how other people view your accomplishments has nothing to do with whether you are living your life to the fullest.

That is my definition of living life to the fullest. It's directing yourself, under no coercion, into activities that you do because you enjoy them as an end in themselves.

That's certainly true, which is why it is difficult to live life to the fullest under our present conditions.

Making money and pursuing music because you enjoy it are two entirely different goals. In some cases they may intersect (though, IMO, that may be an illusion to cover the fact that the money goal has taken first priority), but fame and fortune are just things we think we should have in order to have really "lived."

It all sounds like cynicism probably, but I'm actually just trying to enjoy the simple things.
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah I totally agree with the SPs around here. But maybe the definition of truly living is different for these NTs.

As far as I'm concerned to feel truly alive is to 'feel' something. To do something for the sheer joy of doing it. For the sheer love of being alive. For me it is sport and adrenaline. I never feel more alive than when i am on the rugby pitch. I love to run. I love the excitement, the adrenaline, the moment of big impact where you feel the hit throughout your body. I even love the next day when i feel all my muscles ache and I see the bruises and the scars and the evidence that I am alive.

There must be something you love to do. If its singing, go back and do it for the love of doing it. Sometimes when things get too serious and the pressure to perform is too much then it takes the fun out of it. I know it got like that for me with rugby.

But yeah... have fun!!

On a separate note, rough sex makes me feel really alive! I guess it is a similar physicality thing!

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

Here is a quote i was looking for which says what i was trying to say. Not that i expect everyone to take up rugby... but you know... it works for me!

"In our country, true teams rarely exist ... social barriers and personal ambitions have reduced athletes to dissolute cliques or individuals thrown together for mutual profit ... Yet these rugby players, with their muddied, cracked bodies, are struggling to hold onto a sense of humanity that we in America have lost and are unlikely to regain. The game may only be to move a ball forward on a dirt field, but the task can be accomplished with an unshackled joy and its memories will be a permanent delight. The women and men who play on that rugby field are more alive than too many of us will ever be. The foolish emptiness we think we perceive in their existence is only our own." - Victor Cahn

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

For me: Time spent with my friends, and good music

Friends because I'll be sitting in the kitchen with my roommates and watching them carrying on or something and I'll realize, "These are the moments I live for. These are the moments I'm going to remember my life at"

Good music because music, for me, is like an anchor. There are albums in my life which defined moments in my life or help me to remember it by. Every time I hear a song from Disturbed's "Believe" album I think of my time in college. When I hear Korn I think of high school, when I hear Randy Travis or Garth Brooks I think about my country music kick when I was in elementary school. Sometimes I like to listen to video game music as it makes me think of the first time I played them, or of a time during my younger years back when things were so simple.

Sorry got side tracked.

To answer the question though: This was actually one of the sore spots of my depression. I used to think that because I enjoyed the things that I did (books, movies, video games, stories, etc) that I was somehow a defected or flunked human being because I didn't go out and party and do crazy stupid things or go on wild, unpredictable trips and shit like that. Apparently I "wasn't living".

And I take issue with that. I'm happy doing the things that I do, I take a great deal of pleasure in the things I like to do, so whose to say I'm not living? If I'm a happy, content individual with goals and I'm moving toward them then as far as I'm concerned, I'm living life.

Now sure, my day to day things are really mundane but so what? That's just where my life is right now. I have no idea if 10 years from now I'll still have the same routine. I may be at a different location, I may be married and/or have kids, I might be really well off or horridly poor...I just don't know.

But I want to keep moving forward and so that's what I'm going to keep doing
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson