First 1234 Last

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    If someone is unable to access certain environments, they must find ways of truly living in the environments accessible to them. My SO's grandmother was a master at this, as her health declined and she was able to do less and less. I suspect she would have said she was "really living", right up until the day she died.
    The real question is how to do that.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

As is true of pretty much everyone, it doesn't really feel like you're living life unless you're using the full capacity of your powers to accomplish goals that you set yourself, independent of any coercive factors (like money, stability, duty, etc.,.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ESFJ

I've always believed that by trying new experiences i am living. But over the last year or so, i feel like i am plodding and wasting the best years of my life. This is why i'm looking within instead of without to find fulfilment.

I suppose if you have goals it makes it easier, i am trying to assess what my goals are .. Thats hard when you have never really had any other than taking advantage of opportunities as they've arisen.

The thought that comes to mind now is, how does one know they are using the full capacity of their powers?
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    It's a fair question. It has nothing to do with guilt unless you make it so, which it appears you have. That tells me more than it would had you actually answered it.
    Incorrect on both counts. I am incapable of knowing what we (being not me) all will say with regards to my newly incapacitated self. Since the question is obviously meaningless as phrased, it appears to be a simple baiting attempt. If you had managed to come up with a meaningful question such as "How would you feel if it happened to you and we all said 'Too bad for you'?" I might have considered answering. As for the second part, hah. Playing psychology on the internets is fun! Of course it's entirely possible you meant something different than my interpretation...

Rather than discussing how all of these people with conditions and situations none of us can presumably speak of from a position of much authority, what about those among us with 9-5 jobs, a life in the suburbs, and a generally established trajectory up to death?

As for how can you tell if you're living up to your potential/using your powers, I'm not sure it's possible to tell for yourself. If you haven't seen it already watch the 60 minutes special on Alex Honnold. By all means the guy is living at the absolute peak of human performance and capability. A true master of his craft, but very humble. It's possible that living up to your potential requires never achieving the complacency implicit in thinking you've lived up to your potential.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by giegs View Post
    It's possible that living up to your potential requires never achieving the complacency implicit in thinking you've lived up to your potential.
    Indeed.

I think people make too big a deal out of "life" and purpose. I know I have at times. There's always this longing for it to be some big grand adventure and I get to be the star of my own action story. And if I don't get it, I end up miserable.

But it's all bullshit. I think I'm better off just reminding myself to enjoy where I'm at. Even if it's nothing, and I'm not slaying dragons or drinking shots off the bellies off two dozen naked blondes. There's no ultimate purpose for the great majority of human beings. We die and end up forgotten.. if not sooner, then later. Even the most accomplished people end up forgotten. Walk into the typical library, find thousands upon thousands of books written about all of these people - and guess what? Hardly anyone gives a shit. The library is practically empty.

Eh, I have some bigger point to this beyond cynicism, but now I'm getting tired. Take it as you will.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I think people make too big a deal out of "life" and purpose. I know I have at times. There's always this longing for it to be some big grand adventure and I get to be the star of my own action story. And if I don't get it, I end up miserable.

But it's all bullshit. I think I'm better off just reminding myself to enjoy where I'm at. Even if it's nothing, and I'm not slaying dragons or drinking shots off the bellies off two dozen naked blondes. There's no ultimate purpose for the great majority of human beings. We die and end up forgotten.. if not sooner, then later. Even the most accomplished people end up forgotten. Walk into the typical library, find thousands upon thousands of books written about all of these people - and guess what? Hardly anyone gives a shit. The library is practically empty.

Eh, I have some bigger point to this beyond cynicism, but now I'm getting tired. Take it as you will.
    I think you may be confusing hedonism with "living to your fullest potential."

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I think you may be confusing hedonism with "living to your fullest potential."
    lol.. those probably weren't the best ways to illustrate anything. i was just trying to be brief and [badly] symbolic. perhaps naked blondes was FAIL.

i still think it's all bullshit. hedonism or not. you could be martin luther king, and still get your legacy twisted. few care about whether your life was purposeful or not. the world spins around and has the same old problems it's always going to have.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

As long as there is music

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss-zFDgOXEQ&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    As long as there is music
    That brings up something that applies to me. I'm a musician - but I'm not an entertainer. It's for my own happiness/therapy/what have you. Over the years, I've had people want me to do more with it. And when I was young, I had the same rockstar dreams every kid does. But I'm cool with not doing anything with it now. Maybe this sounds like I'm not living up to some potential, but as far as I'm concerned, potential is just picking up an instrument and playing something, and hopefully creating or learning something new. To no end, except that.

We live in a culture where even this is not enough - where an activity has to be some further means to a dream or shaking the world up. It's ridiculous. I don't need to do anything. Music is enjoyable enough on it's own. There have been thousands of poets and musicians throughout history who never did anything either. Maybe the bards of their town, or the drunk on the piano hanging out at some saloon. They didn't have to be "great artists" or rockstars. And hell, even the majority of those who become rockstars often are forgotten too. Their shit eventually ends up in the bargain bin at some half price CD store. IF that. CD stores are dying too.

It all sounds like cynicism probably, but I'm actually just trying to enjoy the simple things.