User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe that the good in this world outweighs the bad?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I believe that the good outweighs the bad.

11 32.35%
  • I believe that the bad outweighs the good.

11 32.35%
  • I believe there to be an equal balance.

12 35.29%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That's what makes the question worth asking in the first place, if it where as simple as the poll makes it appear there'd be nothing to talk about.
    Asking a specific question doesn't mean that people won't have opinions. Besides, all we've had so far are mostly one line replies.

MBTI
    ENTP

Well, if by "good" and "bad" we mean "what is beneficial" and "what is harmful", then I would say there is more good than bad in the world, simply because there is much in the world that I would be able to turn to my own benefit. If we are going by the traditional "good vs evil", then there is more evil than good, because people find it more beneficial to be evil, though not without cause. People who aim to be good usually end up dead or disappointed; people who aim to be evil, are in reality full of self-hatred, as they consider their natural state to be aberrant. People who aim to serve their own purposes without concern for either, tend to be the most fulfilled.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

People choosing to see more good vs bad.. Is it just a case of confirmation bias/optimism though? Out of sight, out of mind?

Most people for example choose not to examine things like the rate of species decline, or even consider the impact of incurable disability on quality of life, to pick less common examples (common examples would include third world poverty, high reported rates of depression/anxiety etc).

Are we even capable of making an objective judgement on good vs bad?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont think so, there's objective good and evil the same as there's objective natural laws besides what man thinks of them, gravity doesnt go away because you dont believe in it, its not generated by the human mind or suspended by it. The same goes for good and evil. The best value systems have sought to discover the good and evil that exist and teach accordingly, not to invent either or suppose they are inventions.
    The problem I have with the concept of morality in relation to objectivity is that it requires a living component as the framework. I'll use your gravity example to illustrate my point: Sure, can exist whether or not anyone or anything else is there to interpret its presence, yet how can morality exist without something living to provide the definition and context? Gravity can exist independent of anything else, whereas morality cannot. Morality requires living creatures to provide its definition, making its principles elastic and fluid as opposed to fixed and concrete.

However, I will agree what I think you're saying(If I'm interpreting it wrong, I'd appreciate it if you'd clarify) that all living things have some inherent sense of good and and evil, no matter the variance in its definition or conflicting it may be in comparison to another. Yet even while I think some level or type of morality exists within everything living, survival is key as we're naturally wired to prolong our own existence however possible, and being morally just is not always conducive to survival.
    "I'm just here so I won't get fined."

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

IDK, I guess "good" and "bad" are too relative for me to answer. Define "good" and "bad".
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    The problem I have with the concept of morality in relation to objectivity is that it requires a living component as the framework. I'll use your gravity example to illustrate my point: Sure, can exist whether or not anyone or anything else is there to interpret its presence, yet how can morality exist without something living to provide the definition and context? Gravity can exist independent of anything else, whereas morality cannot. Morality requires living creatures to provide its definition, making its principles elastic and fluid as opposed to fixed and concrete.

However, I will agree what I think you're saying(If I'm interpreting it wrong, I'd appreciate it if you'd clarify) that all living things have some inherent sense of good and and evil, no matter the variance in its definition or conflicting it may be in comparison to another. Yet even while I think some level or type of morality exists within everything living, survival is key as we're naturally wired to prolong our own existence however possible, and being morally just is not always conducive to survival.
    I actually do think that evil and good exist independent of any living thing to define them, like gravity, although I appreciate its not widespread any longer.

I also think its exaggerated in extremis the self-preserving component of living things hard wiring, I think it comes about as a result of the prevalence of the Dawkins and others thinking, history is full of lots of examples where selfish genetics theories fails and as a result he had to invent an entirely new theory, memetics, to explain why his earlier theory was contra the evidence, providing an additional opportunity to bash religion by relegating it to the category of viral infection in the process. See that inventing theories to explain why your original theories arent in evidence, I dont think that's very valid, not your point but I think it is something about Dawkins which isnt considered really very often.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by shoshana View Post
    in terms of self -- i am a glass half full type of person. the good will always outweigh the bad in the long run, and i see myself as a very lucky individual in many ways.

in terms of like the world.. i'd say there are way more negatives than positives (neg human interference on the planet in general and neg human influence on one another).
    You managed to speak from a personal point of view, unlike many who've answered. Finally.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

Good question. Should I? Should it?

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

from a humanist perspective, yes. From a meta, bigger picture, universal frame of reference, I believe there is no good or bad. Those become labels that simply place value on organisms' thoughts and actions on an insignificant chunk of rock in a remote corner of a galaxy.

Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISFp Fi

Well I'd at least believe that good intentions prevail over the bad, which personally is enough for me to think positively of humanity.