User Tag List

123 Last

Riva

Default What did Nietzsche say? (What is your favourite western philosophy and why?)

Not just Nietzsche, all prominent western philosophers, what did they have to say?

Edit :-

A better way to approach this subject would be to ask -

Whats your favourite western philosophy and why?
    Last edited by Riva; 09-29-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Riva

Since it is highly unlikely that anyone of you would be bothered to teach me even slightly the names and theories of prominent western philosophers and their theories, I am cleverly adding the additional question of ' what your favourite western philosophy and why?' to the title.

Absolutely nil when it comes to knowledge on western philosophy I am.

Permabanned

I consider western philosophy a single dogma.

Most of western thought can be summed up by this "I know nothing, you know nothing, but there is something to be known. What is it?".

Of course that is such a generalization that it is almost meaningless..almost.

I want to start reading Chomsky. I'm guessing he'll be remembered as the pinnacle of modern western thought. I really don't have a favorite..for the most part I think they were idiots.

This is what Nietzsche said about sex:

Likes Kullervo liked this post

Not many people know the famous quote from him shortly before his death "You know, I've been really wrong about all this and none of you had the balls to say so", that's my favourite Nietzsche quote.
    Likes Stanton Moore liked this post

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

The entire breadth and depth of western philosophy kant really be expressed in anything less then at least entire essays dedicated to it's various schools of thought, if ones intention is to grasp western philosophy in it's whole (if one wants the white bread superficial version of it, then certain intro level texts usually suffice for such the task).

Also Nietzsche said a lot of things concerning various different things, and although I've read him, I really don't have the time nor energy to summarize him in a concise manner (which would be the opposite intention of his wise writings; one must go to Nietzsche, he does not come to you).

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Not many people know the famous quote from him shortly before his death "You know, I've been really wrong about all this and none of you had the balls to say so", that's my favourite Nietzsche quote.
    I'm sorry, where did Nietzsche say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    I'm sorry, where did Nietzsche say that?
    It wasnt his last words though, I imagine they would have went something like:

"who would have imagined hell had so many means of torment? Argh! ARGH!!! ARGHHHHHH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHH!!!!!"

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Since it is highly unlikely that anyone of you would be bothered to teach me even slightly the names and theories of prominent western philosophers and their theories, I am cleverly adding the additional question of ' what your favourite western philosophy and why?' to the title.

Absolutely nil when it comes to knowledge on western philosophy I am.

I'm more enthralled with this statement at the moment... What makes you think that?
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I'm more enthralled with this statement at the moment... What makes you think that?
    I think its an attempt at uber-man humour.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    The entire breadth and depth of western philosophy kant really be expressed in anything less then at least entire essays dedicated to it's various schools of thought, if ones intention is to grasp western philosophy in it's whole (if one wants the white bread superficial version of it, then certain intro level texts usually suffice for such the task).

Haha.. sorry, I have nothing to add to this discussion.