User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 66

  1. #31
    Senior Member The Outsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    2,424

    Default

    Picking a favorite philosophy is something that seems really bizarre to me.

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Frithjof Schuon's summary of Nietzsche is perhaps my favorite quote about him: "A volcanic genius if there ever was one...but in a manner that is both deviated and demented."
    Kidding aside there is a quote from Nietzsche I like which is something about needing to be able to tolerate a certain amount of internal chaos in order to produce or give birth to a dancing star or something like that, I saw it on a literati t-shirt, which also in some ways sums up something about Nietzsche, he's not riske, he's a darling of the chattering classes or pseudo-intellectuals.

    In some senses its interesting to read the ideas of someone who is bordering on or actually mad but then Dosteyovski's The Overcoat, Notes from The Underground or Diary of a Madman are considered to have literary merit but they arent considered to be philosophy.

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    Picking a favorite philosophy is something that seems really bizarre to me.
    Interesting, why so?

  4. #34
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Kidding aside there is a quote from Nietzsche I like which is something about needing to be able to tolerate a certain amount of internal chaos in order to produce or give birth to a dancing star or something like that, I saw it on a literati t-shirt, which also in some ways sums up something about Nietzsche, he's not riske, he's a darling of the chattering classes or pseudo-intellectuals.

    In some senses its interesting to read the ideas of someone who is bordering on or actually mad but then Dosteyovski's The Overcoat, Notes from The Underground or Diary of a Madman are considered to have literary merit but they arent considered to be philosophy.
    I find it hard to take a sentence too seriously when its creator spells "risque" as "riske".

    I also find it funny when one someone calls another person a pseudo-intellectual.

    I'm pretty sure the best way to spot pseudo-intellectualism is to see someone bring up the term in a conversation.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I find it hard to take a sentence too seriously when its creator spells "risque" as "riske".

    I also find it funny when one somebody calls another a pseudo-intellectual.

    In fact, I'm pretty sure the best way to spot pseudo-intellectualism is to see someone use the term in a conversation.
    And then, to crown it all, 'The Overcoat' and 'Diary of a Madman' were written by Gogol.

  6. #36
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    And then, to crown it all, 'The Overcoat' and 'Diary of a Madman' were written by Gogol.

  7. #37
    Senior Member The Outsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    2,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Interesting, why so?
    To me it's more of a state of mind, not a buffet.

  8. #38
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    "Without music, life would be a mistake." ~FN

  9. #39
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    To me it's more of a state of mind, not a buffet.
    I understood what you meant immediately.

    To an Fi dom, they've already got their philosophy. It comes from within.

    To an INTJ, the philosophy comes from "not" having a philosophy. It comes from looking at and understanding the buffet.

  10. #40
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    26

    Default

    "If we affirm one moment, we thus affirm not only ourselves but all existence. For nothing is self-sufficient, neither in us ourselves nor in things; and if our soul has trembled with happiness and sounded like a harp string just once, all eternity was needed to produce this one event - and in this single moment of affirmation all eternity was called good, redeemed, justified, and affirmed."

    - Friedrich Nietzsche

    Nietzsche was not a nihilist.

Similar Threads

  1. What is this strange behavior called and why do people do it?
    By theflame in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-17-2017, 06:07 PM
  2. [NT] NTs, your favourite NT type and why?
    By JustHer in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 139
    Last Post: 06-11-2016, 10:30 PM
  3. What is your favourite band/artist/composer?
    By Kullervo in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-29-2014, 12:20 PM
  4. What is your Inferior function,when did u begin to notice ur weakness, what did u do
    By Afkan in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 08:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO