User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 54

  1. #11
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    a great great man so great that i forgot his name once said: heaven is everywhere where we create it
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  2. #12
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Depends on which route you want to take. My guess is that many would have the impulse to rule heaven out based on empirical evidence, either by pleading agnosticism or claiming that our ideas of heaven are psychological garble.

    The classical way to disprove heaven would be to clearly define heaven in such a way that you could find evidence enough to contradict it. Assuming this is some sort of paper you're writing, chances are the requirements are that you be concise and bring forth both abstract and concrete information to frame your argument.

    Also, if God is essentially necessary for heaven to exist, then disproving God (which as already been hissy fitted over for thousands of years; this wouldn't be a very original paper), then... yeah.

  3. #13
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by earthtrekker1775 View Post
    I hope you are kidding.


    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You won't find it. All you will find is a lack of evidence that there is heaven. And everyone knows that if we can't prove it exists, it doesn't exist.

    This is a good example of what not to do on your paper.

    Do not overstate your case.
    Last edited by Beorn; 09-17-2011 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Apparently I can't recognize sarcasm even though I dish it out.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  4. #14
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    I need evidence there is no heaven the same way I need evidence there is a heaven. There is no evidence to support either side. Get used to it.

  5. #15
    . Blank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    Take the pragmatist's view. "There is no heaven until I experience it." It doesn't argue that there is no heaven though:

    "For all I know, Japan doesn't exist. My entire life everyone could have been playing a joke on me to get me to believe in some country on the other side of the world."
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

    -----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

  6. #16
    Member MiriMiriAru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Illmatic View Post
    I need, supply please.
    How can you gather proof that something does not exist? That evidence, by its nature, would not exist if the thing to be disproven does not exist. But, not finding evidence does not necessarily mean it does not exist, it could means it hasn't been looked for hard enough, or in the right way or place. But it could also not exist. This kind of question is ultimately futile. It's probably best to assume that heaven is more likely to not exist, based on a paucity of evidence, than to go looking for evidence that shows it's not real.

    Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Depends on your definition of heaven. Heaven to me could possibly mean space, beyond the beyond.
    We do not know what is out there but there must surely be something.
    Not really. Just because you can think of it, doesn't mean it must exist. Unless it's porn.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    God is good. Uncertainty is painful. Pain is bad. God would not inflict pain on his creatures. Therefore there is no God since there is no certainty of his or heaven's existence.

    I don't actually believe that. But I do believe that if God wanted you to know something then it would be obvious and accessible. Things like heaven and hell aren't.

    EDIT: And if this isn't true, screw him.
    Karl Jaspers said that any God whose existence could be proven was no God.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    a great great man so great that i forgot his name once said: heaven is everywhere where we create it
    In The Prophet it is said that if you dont see heaven in this life you will not see it in the life to come.

  9. #19
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    In The Prophet it is said that if you dont see heaven in this life you will not see it in the life to come.
    Yea I like that.

    Tho its open how heaven is defined, for some heaven is a well cut green turf in the backyard for some its a champagne party with 20 naked blondes
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Take the pragmatist's view. "There is no heaven until I experience it." It doesn't argue that there is no heaven though:

    "For all I know, Japan doesn't exist. My entire life everyone could have been playing a joke on me to get me to believe in some country on the other side of the world."
    I've heard that one before, the Japan Illusion, also I've heard Australia used. Its a good example of the sort of reasoning people make regularly without thinking about it. Sometimes I think it boils down to what authors you're willing to believe and what sort of writing you enjoy.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 03:04 PM
  2. There is no such thing as personality.
    By ygolo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 10:13 AM
  3. There's no such thing as motivating someone?
    By Xander in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 12:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO