User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    xXxX

Default Sufism- Islamic Mysticism

I have noticed there is a lot of coverage of many types of spirituality, but not much variety from my point of view. So I am here to talk about Sufism or Islamic Spirituality.
    Yes yes, i know at the word is "Islam" many react by thinking 'violence, terrorism, etc etc". But there is more facets of it than that.

I am not here to preach, but just to expose a beautiful spiritual philosophy that is not well exposed, which has much to offer in terms of existential answers as well as peace and inner clarity. It has worked great for me and millions of others.

I believe that religion and spirituality can be combined, therefore the reason I chose Sufism or Islamic mysticism.
    Here is an explanation of what it is:

Australian Centre for Sufism and Irfanic Studies - Sufism / Irfan
    It also talks of Love, Peace and respect for the creation of God.
    Australian Centre for Sufism and Irfanic Studies - Tasawwuf

The purpose of Creation is to find and worship the ONE TRUE GOD. There is only One God. God says "I was a hidden treasure wanting to be discovered, so I created creation".

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'd like to ask questions... but am not even sure what to ask.

How about this: As a Sufi, what would you most want a Christian (conservative in some ways) to know about what you believe? What are differences you are aware of, if any? Points of contrast? Points of connection?

(For example, monotheism: You don't have a trinity like most of the Christian church believes in, even if the "god/father" figure overlaps.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP

Hi Hide-n-Seek,

I had some muslim friends, and they were great!! Some of them were into Sufism too, as were some of my non-muslims friends.

I just wanted to know where does sufism fit into the mainstream islam? if you dont mind me asking.
    Thanks

Sufism does get a good press. But it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

It was Sufis who publicly murdered Anwar Sadat, the President of Egypt, for making peace with Israel.

And Sufis have a long history of terrorism.

I myself am very attracted to mysticism so naturally I was attracted to Sufism.

But the ideal and the reality of Sufism are quite different.

I am amazed at how easily we influenced by the ideal and manage to overlook the reality.

I guess we want to feel good and want to think the best of people.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

I'm sorry, I don't know much about Sufism. I do know that I'm drawn to mysticism in spirituality, and I love the poems of Rumi. Aside from that, I'd love to know more.

PS - I love the imagery of whirling dirvishes.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Sufism does get a good press. But it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
    It was Sufis who publicly murdered Anwar Sadat, the President of Egypt, for making peace with Israel.
    And Sufis have a long history of terrorism.
    I myself am very attracted to mysticism so naturally I was attracted to Sufism.
    But the ideal and the reality of Sufism are quite different.
    I am amazed at how easily we influenced by the ideal and manage to overlook the reality.
    I guess we want to feel good and want to think the best of people.
    So is the ideal worthwhile? I suppose that's what I am more curious in. I'm not really interested in how people have abused Sufism (because anything can be abused, it has no bearing on what *I* do with it) -- I just need to know what's inherent in the system itself.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I love Sufism... though I have to say, most of what I know about Sufism is American Sufism, which is a lot like American Buddhism in that people just kind of pick and choose the bits they like about it. And that's okay because often enough I'd say that those parts are the really good ones...
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So is the ideal worthwhile? I suppose that's what I am more curious in. I'm not really interested in how people have abused Sufism (because anything can be abused, it has no bearing on what *I* do with it) -- I just need to know what's inherent in the system itself.
    It's hardly abuse as Jihad is inherent in the system itself.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's hardly abuse as Jihad is inherent in the system itself.
    Do you mean the practice is simply included among the orthodox beliefs within the system, or does it encompass and taint EVERYTHING in the system?

And are there different interpretations of Jihad and its role in the faith, just as within Christianity there are different opinions on particular doctrines?

Default Bring On the New Age

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I love Sufism... though I have to say, most of what I know about Sufism is American Sufism, which is a lot like American Buddhism in that people just kind of pick and choose the bits they like about it. And that's okay because often enough I'd say that those parts are the really good ones...
    Yes, New Age Sufism does look rather nice.

However I remember I was taken by the Communist Manifesto but across the world they killed 100 million of their own people.

Sure, I like the New Age, I like to feel nice but my gullibility has limits.

I fell for the Communist Manifesto until I read, "Das Capital", and was told by Karl Marx that to implement the Manifesto, it would be necessary to kill whole peoples - and that is just what they did.

And I fell for Rumi and Kahlil Gibran until I read the history of Sufism, then I woke up - there is a limit to even my gullibility.

Unfortunately, Islamism operates on two fronts. The first is violence and the second is lawful.

Quite often they operate separately, but oddly enough, they always seem to reinforce one another.

And propaganda is an important part of the lawful.

And Rumi and Kalil Gibran are used by the propagandists because they are lovely and make us feel good and so are plausible.

So it is really a question of how gullible we want to be.

Or do we prefer intellectual and moral integrity.

What a silly question - bring on the New Age.