• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Where does the universe end?

G

Ginkgo

If you add black holes and string theory into the equation, the edges of the universe are 2 dimensional reflections of the inside of the universe. Holographs. Kind of like a two dimensional map of a three dimensional plane - a mapped globe, for instance.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
The universe is forever expanding. There is no end and no beginning.

I cannot say the same for us, because our galaxy is apparently being pulled into Andromeda, a neighboring galaxy's black hole. There is also a possibility that our universe is in fact, in a black hole.

The possibilities are endless and we will never know the answer.

But I think you should all be more concerned with the concept of time. Where does it start and where does it end? I believe that like the universe, time is infinite. But both the universe and time were created at the same time. I think it's all quite fucking beautiful.

R

Riva

But I think you should all be more concerned with the concept of time. Where does it start and where does it end? I believe that like the universe, time is infinite. But both the universe and time were created at the same time. I think it's all quite fucking beautiful.

I could still remember how shocked I was when I was explained about the relativity of time.

The best part of it was reaching (steps taken to reach) that conclusion.

:shock:

Time is so very confusing. But not as confusing as the universe.

xisnotx

Permabanned
My world begins and ends with me.
The world, presumably, follows the same logic, as far as I can tell.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so

"Created" is perhaps the wrong word, otherwise I can't quite wrap my head around it. One cannot exist without the other...

R

Riva

If you mean if there is an edge to the universe where you cannot go any further(maybe like a wall or something), then probably not. But space could be finite in size, therefore it could curve in on itself(like the surface of a sphere) so if you were to travel in a straight line eventually you'd arrive at your start point.

When you look into the high open sea you see the sea end in the horizon.
That it because the sea surface bends under your vision.

What is real, the bend of the sea surface or your vision.?
They are both real.
Terra is finite and has no edge.

When you look up at the skyline the horizon greets you there, too.
You see only a fraction of the skyline.
Universe is finite and has no edge.

Good points.

In Wildcat's explanation does one end up at the same place?

But what is above the curve? Wildcat assuming your theory meant ending at the same place and taking the bend in to account, I have to ask what is above the bend.

One cannot take the bend explanation since it explains the observer on the edge or on top of the universe.

We are not at the edge of the universe. We are inside it. At least that is how I see it. So if there is a bend upwards or downwards what happens if one goes in a straight line?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After reading Brian Greene's treatment of string theory, where he mentions spacetime as itself having strings as its quanta, then it becomes conceivable for there to be an end to space. What would happen, is once you reach a certain point, the strings stop, and you are no longer in space or time. That of course also means your matter (also made of strings, of course) instantly disappears as well. Everything just ceases to exist past this edge. The same thing actually happens if you decrease size to below the Planck length.
What I've just realized, is that if there was an "edge" like that, what inertial frame of reference would it lie in? That would form an absolute state or "rest" that every other object could be measured against.

If the universe is expanding, and expanding faster the further you go out, then the edge would likely be at the limit of the speed of expansion, and basically moving outward at the speed of light. (They even say the expansion is over faster than light). So such an edge would not be reachable by anyone.

I don't know what would happen regarding time. If that's supposed to be infinite, and space would expand forever (even after the "Big Chill").