User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    The observable Universe is currently estimated at about Ninety some odd billion light years across, the age around 13 and 3/4 billion years old. (Space expands faster than light).

So the real size of the universe is probably at least 150% of the observable size, but likely even larger. We'll probably never know, considering that, yes, space is expanding faster than light from end to end, and we'll never be able to see further than the age of the universe in light years.
    REMEMBER Y'ALL HEARD THAT FROM AN ENFP.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I don't think it has to have an edge. I picture it as either going on forever or looping back into itself, so that if you keep going in a straight line for ridiculous distances you eventually end up back where you started. It doesn't really make sense for the universe to have an edge because then there would have to be something that exists that is not part of the universe that is making the other side of the edge.

I don't think I'm ever going to find that restaurant....

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

when we solve every conflict, this world will be over.
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Seriously .. Does this come easy to you guys or do you ever feel like your brain is going to explode with data/imagery overload?

I love this subject but have a hard time detaching the infinite details so am unable to reach any conclusion until like Riva, i come back to the subject with a clear mind.

I need to find me some guys who will explain (hopefully) in laymans terms.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    I don't think it has to have an edge. I picture it as either going on forever or looping back into itself, so that if you keep going in a straight line for ridiculous distances you eventually end up back where you started. It doesn't really make sense for the universe to have an edge because then there would have to be something that exists that is not part of the universe that is making the other side of the edge.
    Actually, no it wouldn't. Reading up further on connes' theory, there would be no "other side", as that [i.e. a "side"] presumes more space. But that is the end of space, remember.
    What Connes' theory suggests is called noncommutable space. In space, a distance from one string to another (not individual strings, which would probably be indeterminable especially given the uncertainty principle; but let's say part of an observable object) can be traversed, or commuted between. However, the medium the space strings themselves lie in is not commutable. An analogy I'm trying to develop now, is an active matrix display, whether LCD, LED, etc. An image on the display can be defined by picture elements, but in reality, the bits of the image on those elements are really from electronic information sent to particular addresses in a program code, that are not even arranged that way. There may be a "pixel 1" and "pixel 2" and so on, but there is no "1.5". "Between" the pixels doesn't exist, as far as the image is concerned. The same with the edges of the sign.
    So the image is a particular construct in space and time, but it is created in an "entirely different conceptual landscape" as Greene put it.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Which one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    The observable Universe is currently estimated at about Ninety some odd billion light years across, the age around 13 and 3/4 billion years old. (Space expands faster than light).

So the real size of the universe is probably at least 150% of the observable size, but likely even larger. We'll probably never know, considering that, yes, space is expanding faster than light from end to end, and we'll never be able to see further than the age of the universe in light years.
    Yes, the edge of our universe is our event horizon. And this is the horizen beyond which we cannot see any event and it is about 14 billion light years from here.

And interstingly event horizons are common. And of course every self respecting black hole has an event horizon. And so each black hole is also the edge of the universe.

And we can create event horizons in the laboratory, in swirling liquids.

And consider, we are now sharing an event on Central at the speed of light. And as far as we, homo sapiens, are concerned, time and space have been abolished and we are disembodied. It's as though we are pure spirits, but our minds haven't quite caught up with our luck quite yet.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    What theories do you have?

Or

What is the theory your religion has given?
    When you look into the high open sea you see the sea end in the horizon.
    That it because the sea surface bends under your vision.

What is real, the bend of the sea surface or your vision.?
    They are both real.
    Terra is finite and has no edge.

When you look up at the skyline the horizon greets you there, too.
    You see only a fraction of the skyline.
    Universe is finite and has no edge.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, the edge of our universe is our event horizon. And this is the horizen beyond which we cannot see any event and it is about 14 billion light years from here.

And interstingly event horizons are common. And of course every self respecting black hole has an event horizon. And so each black hole is also the edge of the universe.

And we can create event horizons in the laboratory, in swirling liquids.

And consider, we are now sharing an event on Central at the speed of light. And as far as we, homo sapiens, are concerned, time and space have been abolished and we are disembodied. It's as though we are pure spirits, but our minds haven't quite caught up with our luck quite yet.
    A horizon does not loci.
    Does an edge loci?
    No.

What does not loci is a horizon.
    It is not there.

MBTI
    INTP

A flaw in the doctrine.
    "There is nothing beyond the edge."
    What edge?
    Nothing is not beyond.

Is space ahead of Planck time?