User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So was this explanation for our benefit or for Victor's? I'm a little lost on what your purpose is here.
    I don't think anyone is talking past anyone, honestly, but thanks for explaining what Victor thinks in case someone wasn't getting it.
    No purpose, just thought it was an interesting point. Thought an explanation might defuse the tension a bit, and help me understand what the guy's saying. I don't think Victor's got anything but the best intentions in mind.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, simply because you wrote it as a response to a comment of mine... so it comes off as trying to "correct" something I said.
    Just a different perspective on the issue, nothing more. Feel free to take it or leave it as you will.

But my comment meant what it said, that not everything is about "winning a man" or "appealing to social standards of beauty" or whatever the hell else you guys would like it to mean.
    Agreed. My chief point is that sexual attractiveness can be used as a form of power, which can be useful in workplaces for political reasons.

People are allowed to find beauty in the world and invest in creating beauty simply because they like it, as much as they would take a photograph or paint a picture or decorate a house in a way they found to resonate with themselves. Likewise, one reason women do use makeup is because they like how it makes them look, and it doesn't need to have anything to do with sex or power or some other ulterior motive. It CAN... but it doesn't need to.
    That sounds like the start of an even more interesting conversation - from where or what comes our sense of aesthetics?

If my comment was too impenetrable, substitute "ironic" for "humorous."
    Your feminine wiles have depleted me of all my ability to be penetrating . I guess I still don't see the irony. I frequently talk to friends about girls they and I have seen that have completely driven us to distraction. One view has it that this is why teenage boys, for the most part, do better in single-sex classrooms: keeps Darwin from getting in the way of study. Even in adult men, commenting on a woman's attractiveness is an age-old means of building camaraderie, but also a means of distracting people from the work at hand. Makeup alone causing all this is a little excessive, though.

I agree.
    Cool.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post

That's the most comedic part of this thread. Dolling up doesn't make women feel loved but it can enhance what genetics has given you. Makeup is fun, as long as you're not addicted to it and feel uncomfortable walking out of the house without it.
    If I were you, I wouldn't expect any truth to come out of gross generalizations like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    If I were you, I wouldn't expect any truth to come out of gross generalizations like that.
    Wasn't aware that truth was any part of this thread!

Ginkgo

Ginkgo

Duck, duck, goose!

Ginkgo

Duck, duck, goose!
    badger badger badger mushroom

it's a snaaaaake

badger badger badger mushroom

it's a snaaaaake

Isn't that a form of makeup? In donning the snake, one display's one's intelligence level by displaying how close one gets to the snake.

Ginkgo

Isn't that a form of makeup? In donning the snake, one display's one's intelligence level by displaying how close one gets to the snake.
    It's true. The Tree of Knowledge and such. That didn't work from Brittany Spears I don't think...

The snake also happens to love you and can't get enough.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Default On Painting and Art

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Our actual self, plus a brand, gives us our ideal self.

So brands serve the purpose of mediating between our real self and our ideal self.

So brands diss our real self and valorise our ideal self.

So brands poison us at our very core, and impose from the outside a phoney ideal self.

It's true, and we all know it, that beauty comes from within. And we know that the imposition of beauty from the outside is an imposture.
    Our actual paper, plus a brand of paint, gives us our masterpiece.

So brands of paint serve the purpose of mediating between our piece of paper and our masterpiece.

So brands of paint diss our piece of paper and valorise our masterpiece.

So brands of paint poison our paper at its very core, and impose from the outside a phoney masterpiece.

It's true, and we all know it, that art comes from within. And we know that the imposition of paint from the outside is an imposture.

Makeup is just a mediation between our natural beautiful selves and our beautiful selves looking like works of art.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex