User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by amerellis View Post
    Saying make up can be like a mask is not the only facet of his argument. And there's nothing new under the sun but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant.

@nebbykoo : Wow that is really personal and presumptuous. Where do you get off saying stuff like that?
    It wasn't intended to insult him. You misunderstood.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Victor,

You come one here speaking of spirituality (which is really the difference you describe when you talk of 'true self' and 'ideal self'), which seems very noble, until you realize that your desire to enlighten the masses here is really driven by your ego's need for admiration, or, in this case, martyrdom (which is itself a form of admiration).
    Think about that for a moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by amerellis View Post
    @nebbykoo : Wow that is really personal and presumptuous. Where do you get off saying stuff like that?
    I think @Victor has some really interesting perspectives to share. I just wish he would be willing to actually discuss them, as people typically would on a forum, since that is usually the purpose of posting them to a forum.

From what I've observed, it looks to me like this is the typical pattern:

- Victor posts a statement that looks like a proclamation about underlying meanings and intentions
    - People challenge those statements and proclamations with their own opinions (the same as they would challenge statements made by others here, as this is a forum for the purpose of discussing things)
    - Victor does not address the challenging statements or discuss them, but instead posts the same proclamation in different words
    - People challenge them again
    - Victor gets upset and feels victimized
    - People recognize this pattern and respond in one of a number of ways:
    a) ignore anything Victor posts since it seems pointless to respond,
    b) make fun of him,
    c) tell him to start another thread instead and stop derailing the topic at hand,
    d) agree with him, since it seems to be the only way to get a response from him that doesn't involve him feeling victimized or "making it about him instead of the issue", or
    d) empathize with him and stick up for him.

Victor, it seems to me like your experience here would be more enjoyable (for you and for everyone else) if you would be more willing to discuss your opinions with people who disagree, and expand on them and explain them more, rather than just declaring them from the soapbox and getting upset when people challenge you. It would make your contributions more interesting to everyone else, too.

What do you think?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Our actual self, plus a brand, gives us our ideal self.

So brands serve the purpose of mediating between our real self and our ideal self.

So brands diss our real self and valorise our ideal self.

So brands poison us at our very core, and impose from the outside a phoney ideal self.

It's true, and we all know it, that beauty comes from within. And we know that the imposition of beauty from the outside is an imposture.
    Hrrmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This is tragically true. But is far too painful to face. So we will say anything, believe anything, rather than move through the pain of knowing we are utterly unlovable, and then onto our deep and true self, who with open arms, and perhaps with a tear in the eye, will welcome us home.
    This is more about projection than any vaunted higher morality framework or vaunted depth of insight, or some such.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to look like a hooker. Ladies, embrace your inner whore. Wear makeup and be happy!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

You've got to hand it to Vic - he knows how to draw out the shadows...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    This is more about projection than any vaunted higher morality framework or vaunted depth of insight, or some such.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to look like a hooker. Ladies, embrace your inner whore. Wear makeup and be happy!
    Yes!
    Also, IMO
    There's nothing wrong with whatever you want to look like -- makeup or no makeup, tats or no tats, look like a whore or look like a schoolgirl -- express yourself and be happy. Indeed you are beautiful just as you are -- including all your embellishments and creative gestures and infatuations with different brands and general happiness in color and style and doing your thing.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

And this whole time I thought I was just trying to even out my skin tone a bit.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    And this whole time I thought I was just trying to even out my skin tone a bit.
    No, we are all self-loathing manipulative phonies!

Ginkgo

Victor should wear make-up in a Julia Gillard charade to feel loved.

To be honest though, if you feel loved after dolling up, then you are capable of feeling loved. Make-up may not be the answer, but if it works, why not? It's ultimately up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Victor should wear make-up in a Julia Gillard charade to feel loved.
    He's openly admitted to enjoying make up. It's heartening to see that he too, has embraced his inner whore!

To be honest though, if you feel loved after dolling up, then you are capable of feeling loved. Make-up may not be the answer, but if it works, why not? It's ultimately up to you.
    That's the most comedic part of this thread. Dolling up doesn't make women feel loved but it can enhance what genetics has given you. Makeup is fun, as long as you're not addicted to it and feel uncomfortable walking out of the house without it.