User Tag List

First 20282930313240 Last

Results 291 to 300 of 509

  1. #291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Why? The nail polish/makeup thread was accomplishing the purpose it was started for. No one intended to solve any major world issues in that thread, and yet some (yes, intelligent) posters found answers to questions they had about something they use in their daily lives. Talking about nail polish doesn't make one a half-wit. And threads like that are also a way that posters share their experience with other posters, creating good will. I think that's pretty useful.

    Victor starts threads about the same two ideas, then refuses to engage people in an honest debate about his ideas. He decides to interpret genuine engagement as bullying, and nothing happens except a discussion about Victor and his methods. People then jump in and defend him, as you are doing, but the defenses always imply that there's some element of genius that the rest of the board is missing. I don't buy it. No one who defends him ever offers any evidence for this supposed genius. There are plenty of reasonable, flexible, intelligent people on the boards that would be willing to listen to Victor's ideas if he were willing to engage beyond his current level. I don't care for his style, it's true, but I could very easily look past it if he were willing to take what others are saying and create an actual dialogue with them, rather than delivering them as a pronouncements that must be swallowed in their entirety. Why is it okay for Victor to assume that every time someone disagrees with him, it must be because they are afraid of controversy or afraid of change? He never provides any evidence for this idea. But we're supposed to see him as some sort of anti-MBTI prophet. I suspect this is probably another Fi vs Fe thing for a lot of people. Why should Victor have to change his tactics to suit all of you, etc. Answer: he doesn't have to, but he can't expect a different result, and loads of people are tired of his schtick, and have every right to be tired of it.

    Frankly, I'm not sure why we aren't allowed to be annoyed with Victor's tactics. He's off-limits, where others can be ripped to shreds at will. He's not defenseless or weak, and he is perfectly capable of coming up with a tactic to reach more people with his "message," if that is truly what he desires. But it's not. Perhaps he feels like amending his style of communication renders him inauthentic. That's fine. But it will be received the same way each and every time.
    Bingo.



    Also, I don't understand why @Salome believes the members discussing cosmetics in the other thread are half-wits. Are you willing to elaborate?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  2. #292
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    The one that Jaguar quoted upthread. Where Victor said some awful things to Halla, which hurts my heart.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1378822


    Shortnsweet, it's still verbal abuse, isn't it? I mean, if I followed you around calling you weird names, is it ok just because the weird names have no connection to you in fact?

  3. #293
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    The ideas that he conveys are often ... at the very least, insulting. I started to write "cruel," not sure if that's the right word. I'm not talking about to young girls and middle aged women. I'm talking about, for example, to the people on the sports topic. They have no inner life. They regress to childhood because they ... blah blah are deficient in some way.

    -- as long as he doesn't say it to YOU, it's ok. But it's ok if he says it to other people. ?
    Victor can say whatever he wants, and who ever wants to disagree with him can.

    It's not like he has power to ruin anyone's life, and I do agree with some of the things he says, even while strongly disagreeing with others.

    And many of the things I disagree with seem to be a result of his personal issues and belief system, not anything terribly dire.

  4. #294
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Oh he ignores heated discussion, that's a trait I wish I had. It's actually quite wise of him.

    I don't think his methods are always good, I just don't think his intent is malicious.
    I suppose it's hard for me to understand why anyone would choose to continually disrupt, if they aren't in it for some reason, other than good-doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    People who are removed like that only bother me in a personal context, like the INTJ in question, then it just seems downright fucking nasty and mean to me.
    I don't think it bothers me that he's removed. I just don't think he's upset or feels victimized. I just think what he says and the way he acts, are two different things, totally. I go by actions more than words. If someone is acting like a troll, they generally, are, regardless of what they are saying. They fit the definition. I don't see what he says as being things he believes in, but simply a means to an end. He is interested in the attention he receives, whether it be negative or positive. He casts out hooks, and the people he responds to, are fish that bit the hook. He ignores those who don't bite the hook. Of course, it can become more complicated than that (and in his case, it seems to be).... but there's the general idea of what he is up to here. Simple as that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    But since I have Fi, I guess, I don't see why anyone would be bothered by Victor being so removed if they don't especially care about him as a person. It's like ...yeah...that guy.

    As I admitted before, I have gotten angry at Victor before because of some of the stuff he's said DIRECTLY TO ME. But when I realized later how paranoid or projecting some of it was, it took some of the anger away, and allowed me to see what his probable issues are.

    We all have issues. I certainly do.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  5. #295
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    The one that Jaguar quoted upthread. Where Victor said some awful things to Halla, which hurts my heart.

    Shortnsweet, it's still verbal abuse, isn't it? I mean, if I followed you around calling you weird names, is it ok just because the weird names have no connection to you in fact?

    Maybe, but the end result is that I let them roll off, but also haven't seen him insult anyone personally- I know that it may be out there, which is why I'm fascinated with some of the reactions- to me, they have to be reactions to something else more personal that must have happened. I wear makeup once in a while myself, and am not a Buddhist Monk, so I buy brands in the amounts that make me comfortable. The personal attack radar went directly over my head in this case, though. I have opinions about a lot of different things that I don't like, as well.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  6. #296
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Well, he's so sincere, how can you mind what he says and who he says it to? He says what he FEELS and it must be said ...

    also true of Hitler ...

    Content matters.

  7. #297
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Well, he's so sincere, how can you mind what he says and who he says it to? He says what he FEELS and it must be said ...

    also true of Hitler ...

    Content matters.
    Well, yeah, but Hitler also wanted everyone to think the same way and offenders to die. I cringe whenever women use the word "hubby" or when baseball players are chewing tobacco and spitting on the field and purposeful misspellings and a whole host of other strange biases. I'm also inclined to think that materialism has potential to lead away from truth and authenticity. Do I welcome and allow people with differing opinions? Yes, absolutely. My values are personalized, not blanket to the entire world. I can't claim to know where Victor is coming from with these topics, but I just see a man stating opinions. So I feel like I missed something completely. Some thread or some other stuff that implied otherwise.

    Edit: Oh sorry, I did not see your link there before. Also it says, "page not found."
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  8. #298
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    You should speak out more often! Those are great views!

    Who is he talking to if not to the other posters in the thread? It's not as if he's declaiming to the wind. There are people there who he is putting his views in front of. Isn't he talking to them?

  9. #299
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    You should speak out more often! Those are great views!

    Who is he talking to if not to the other posters in the thread? It's not as if he's declaiming to the wind. There are people there who he is putting his views in front of. Isn't he talking to them?
    Are you talking to me? I speak all the time! Some days more than others.

    I know he's talking to everyone here, but so am I, so are you. Sometimes our opinions are going to relate to other people, but it's just opinions. Lots of them are cultural around here, too. I still want to see the Halla link. I know there has to be other stuff laying around that is causing a visceral reaction in people.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  10. #300
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    but I just see a man stating opinions.
    Look a little harder at his actions.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Similar Threads

  1. The Emerging Church - Thoughts on Postmodern Christianity
    By Apollonian in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 09:23 AM
  2. Has anyone heard of Global Dimming and if so what are your thoughts on it??
    By ladypinkington in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 06:13 AM
  3. Thoughts on Hybrid MBTI/Keirsey Types?
    By Usehername in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 03:52 PM
  4. My thoughts on the I phone
    By Opivy1980 in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 06:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO